how often do bad trips happen on acid?

Discussion in 'LSD - Acid Trips' started by jwise2170, Jul 8, 2011.

1. jwise2170

jwise2170 Guest

i realllllllly want to try acid but im worried ill have a bad trip since i had a minor bad trip on shrooms..

when you get a bad trip on acid, does it last the whole time? or does it go away after a little?

2. arthur itis

arthur itis Senior Member

I had a minor bad trip on shrooms once, the only time I ever took them. I got paranoid, and thought every law enforcement and intel agency was homing in on my location by satellite, etc, and I was in imminent danger of being busted. I was living in my RV at that time, and my wife and kids had left me for her parent's house in Pennsylvania, so I was all alone in SoCal.

I quickly gathered up all my stash, my paraphernalia, even an innocent book on herbal remedies, which I thought might connect me somehow to "the drug culture". I got rid of it all, in a dumpster. It seemed pretty silly after I came down.

Also, during that trip, I was just lying on my back in the RV, listening to voices in my head, like something either Gaelic or Viking, seemingly random words, and seeing symbols floating randomly around when I closed my eyes.

I prayed for mercy from God, claimed the power of the blood of Jesus over me, and came down in an instant.

I never had any bad trips on acid, except this one time when I was about 18 and emotionally dependent and jonesing after a girl who was just using me for an easy way to run away from home. I was sulking a lot on that trip, sitting in my car, on a street in L.A. just off Beverly Glen Blvd., watching the bushes under the streetlight on the other side of the street begin to pulsate with a multitude of wierdnesses, mostly little serpent heads undulating in and out of the shrubbery. One of my friends came out and checked on me, since the girl had gone inside and probably reported to them that I was crying. He said they were worried about me, so a little later I manned up, dried my eyes, and came in. They were all sleeping by then, and I found a place to crash, after feeling a desperate need to suddenly brush my teeth. I had been living a fairly careless life at that time, and doubt whether I'd brushed in weeks, maybe months. No wonder I had girl problems,,haha.

Having clean, well-maintained teeth becomes of the utmost importance when I'm on acid. Health issues seem to come to the fore, and you begin to practice good health. For instance, I would never have considered smoking a joint while tripping, because it just seemed redundant and needless, and smoking isn't good for your lungs.

That night, I remember, they had a Buffalo Springfield album playing quietly in the background, as we slept.

But emotional dependencies notwithstanding, I generally had fairly interesting acid trips, just "goin' for the ride". If you're not ready to "go for the ride", and have issues with people, maybe it's not the right time.

But shrooms,,I dunno. I didn't seem to like the trip. It felt, in retrospect, like I'd taken poisonous mushrooms, and was having poison-related hallucinations. Maybe that's the way it works.

3. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

I have read (from reputable sources like hofmann and mckenna) that negative trips happen less than 1% of the time. Having tripped many times on lucy and shrooms in my younger years, once on lucy and a few times on RC's recently, I've only had one "bad" trip and that was 100% due to bad setting.
    Do some reading on safe tripping, there is alot out there at erowid and related forums. If you have no pre-existing emotional disturbances and you put a little consideration into set and setting, the chances of having a negative trip are very minute.
    As for how long, I don't feel there's a general rule. It depends on many factors but the primary being the setting and environment.

4. PinataPete

PinataPete Member

As long as the LSD (i can't stand the slang-term 'acid', I feel it gives the substance a negative connotation) is not being abused then a good trip is always a guarantee.

You'll like it, trust me, perhaps even love it, but don't be silly and do what's been done a million times before you and over-do the experience.

Twice a year is perfect, with room for a couple more. Just never trip twice in a week as this makes the chances for a bad trip rise significantly.

Best of luck, and Happy Trails!

5. tricknologist

tricknologist menace to sobriety

I've taken acid a couple of hundred times and only had two bad trips. And one of those times I think I was sold DOI on blotter paper (20 hour trip) and not real LSD.

6. jwise2170

jwise2170 Guest

for my first time i was thinking about candyflipping (taking ecstacy/molly and lsd at the same time) because i heard there is no way you will have a bad trip during that. should i candyflip my first time or stick to only acid?

7. arthur itis

I'm not a fan of mixing drugs. I once witnessed a friend who took a mix of heroin, speed, and acid at the same time. It wasn't pretty.

Okay, I'm a fan of mixing drugs, but only certain drugs.

I like smoking pot and taking uppers (bennies, etc.,,tame stuff), because it improves my guitar playing.

I wouldn't even consider taking more than one psychedelic at a time. I'm just a purist in that sense. I also like taking just one thing at a time, just to see what the effects of that one thing are. I'm like that with coffee too. I just like drinking it black, to taste the coffee, whatever kind of coffee it is,,

It's a more scientific approach, I suppose.

8. stash napt

stash napt Member

Bad trips don't exist. That shit they tell you in health class is bull. However you can bug out. Sort of like when your stoned. Just make sure you’re in an environment that is fairly stress free. Restraints are what make most people bug out while tripping.

9. arthur itis

Right. I can only imagine what being taken to a hospital and put in restraints could do to someone on an acid trip. Fuck you up good.

But that's what happens when you get "into the system". They're all about "containment".

Reminds me of something,,"Bad trips don't exist. Only bad people."

Acid kind of sorts it all out. There's no pretending on acid.

10. thismoment

thismoment Member

An infinity of variables, one of which is that after passing some level of higher dosing, maybe something like 300-400 mcg - certainly 500 mcg, the chances of a negative experience increase.

11. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

Fo sho... if ya gotta dose up your coffee with sugar and fancy creamer, then you just don't really like coffee.
    I don't think its poor form to mix some psychedelics though I've done very little of that myself. But so far I have no desire to mix anything with lucille. Except maybe a nice brew or two while sliding home.

12. TVC15

TVC15 Member

the thing about acid (unless you take a lot) is you are aware you are on a drug so can that helps. I never had a bad trip (though it has been a long time). One time I did get paranoid that I would be arrested if I walked down the street but it was easy to talk myself out of it. Being on acid is like being a newborn in an adult body. Everything is fresh and new, endlessly entertaining and unihibited. Your mind runs wild with ideas that morph and shift with the slightest external input. If you are on good acid you can be entertained by a simple object like a pencil. You can explore the details of it, and it may take on a persona. The pencil may turn "evil" if you turn it a certain way and then be your best friend if you turn it another. I think the beauty of acid is if you don't like the mood you are in wait 30 seconds and it will change by doing something as simple as turning a light off or on, or even shifting your focus.

13. LovesLiquid

LovesLiquid Member

I definitely relate to this as i had a semi bad trip not so long ago due to the fact a cop heli was 50ft above us buzzing around like a huge scary insect..................:eek:

Personally having been a weekend psychonaut for a long time i think if you have something good then you are less prone to a bad experience.

If i only did it 2x a year i wouldnt feel right ..............

I hope people actually listen to this^^^^^^:iagree:

I like your input TVC15 ...............:)

14. El Gato

El Gato Drooling Troubadour Lifetime Supporter

I guess I have never had a what I would consider a "bad" trip but just really lousy ones if it was low grade product. Actually what a lot of people would consider paranoid thoughts spurs me not to a fear that might paralyzes you but gives me an adrenaline rush of sorts. Every good quality trip I have had was a blast but a lot of that was going in with the thought that was what I was looking for in the first place. Maybe I am lucky I don't know.

15. inthydreams911

inthydreams911 Senior Member

Bad trips are not that often, especially with lsd because it gives you such an uppity excited filled with energy type of feeling.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride. :)

16. Nobody2

Nobody2 Member

I did so many hits of acid in my younger years I lost count (hundreds) and I never had a bad trip. Just make sure you have a positive attitude and are in a positive setting and you will have no problems. If taking it for the first time make sure you have someone who is sober with you to keep you in a good mood. I knew a guy who ended up in the ER cause he did his first hit alone and let his thoughts get away from him and panicked. If he had someone with him who kept him calm and in a positive mood he would have had a great trip instead of what ended up happening. If you think bad thoughts or are in a negative setting while tripping then you will have a bad experience.

17. rougerebelle

rougerebelle Member

I've had a friend who started freaking out on acid once, she was seeing boils raise up and burst on her skin, but after being reminded it was just a trip she was fine.

I think as long as someone is there to remind you its not real/distract you in case of a bad trip you'll be fine.

18. Lovejuice

Lovejuice Guest

so fucking true, such a simple post but you encapsulated my whole feelings about the matter.

as a few people stated about themselves i too am a purist. LSD isnt really a drug in my opinion that you take and go to a party as some might. I understand the allure of doing this but at the same time its really not a reason to take it. Instead of candyflipping just take one or the other imo

19. HermanDaVermin

HermanDaVermin Banned

I don't know what all you people are talking about?
    EVERYONE knows that every time you take acid there is a better than 87% chance you will destroy so many brain cells that you will end up a gibbering, drooling vegetable.
    Plus the fact that if you take acid more than 7 times you can be committed to an insane asylum because you have messed with the internal workings of your brain so much that you are legally insane.

Man I don't know where you people get your information, but it sure isn't from the quality and 100% accurate films they showed in school or the completely neutral and unbiased pamphlets distributed by those nice folks at the DEA.

I know, I've seen and read them all, plus quit a few walls in bathroom stalls.
    Speaking of which for a good time call 1-666-sex-skank, she'll do you long time, and only a few herpes sores. :2thumbsup:

20. ChinaCatSunflower02

ChinaCatSunflower02 Senior Member

I think that bad trips happen way more often to people than what the people on these forums realize. They're powerful drugs, and i've witnessed plenty of people go through difficult times on lsd or shrooms, as well as myself.

"Bad trips don't exist"?? Please.

And i'm not sure what it's supposed to mean when you say bad trips don't exist, only bad people do. Simply not true.

Perhaps i have a certain bias having gone through a fair share of dark experiences tripping on lsd or shrooms in the past (shrooms especially). But nonetheless, as i stated above, i've witnessed quite a few others also go through some dark shit. Or I've just had conversations with various people at things like music festivals, as they shared their experience of hell to me from the night before.