How Much To Live On?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Vincent2012, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Vincent2012

Vincent2012 Perpetual Smiler

How much fruits/veggies will I need to grow in order to comfortably feed an adult vegan for a year?

I ask this because it is my hopes to one day start a homestead for myself, and my friends, but struggle with the concept of 'how much is enough' as I've never really had the proper information to go on.

I do intend to have a SMALL amount of animal product for food as well, but want my main focus to be on fruits, veggies, nuts, and grains.

2. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I would suggest you simply multiply what you eat in a week into a year and make a sensible calculation.You will also have to have a way of storing your crops into the winter season through some form of refrigeration.I'm no expert.I've never had a homestead,but like a lot of people I suppose I have thought about it.Good luck!

Oddduck likes this.
  3. Vincent2012

Vincent2012 Perpetual Smiler

I won't have winter months, but I do intend to can my excess. I'll be living on the equator and all year long will be one growing season or another, so no downtime for me! Thanks for the lucky wishes.

4. Oddduck

Oddduck Members

I’m very jealous I definitely have pronounced season’s to work with. I use the same method fairlight mentioned and can the extra’s.

jimandjan likes this.
  5. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

I found out last year with a shortage of canning flats, it was costly to can. We paid as much as 40 cents per flat. I plan to check into freezing, or drying to cut costs.

DiagonalZone likes this.