How many of you speak fluent French?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Spacer, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

So, do many of you speak fluent French or live in Quebec?

2. yovo

yovo Member

je peux pas dire que je suis bilange, mais je parle plus que joe-shmoe

et je viens d'ontario, mais je connais bien le Quebec, si il-y-a quelle que chose que tu veux savoir il faut me demander ;)

I can't say that I'm bilingural, but I speak more french then joe-shmoe

and I'm from Ontario but I know Quebec pretty good, if there's something you'd like to know just ask

peace

3. spooner

spooner is done.

je parle francais sans problemes... mais j'ai aussi une clavier sans accents.

4. Spacer

Is sans without? Presume you said "I speak French witout any problems" dunno what the second bit was about. I don't speak French at all, did it for one year in school way back, just wandering did many Canadians speak it.

5. yovo

yovo Member

By numbers I think around 30% of Canadians identify french as thier mother tongue the majority of those, around 7 million, living in the province of Quebec. Quebec was first settled by the french well over 300 years ago, long long before the British showed any interest in the colonisation of Canada and because of this linguistic solidarity and isolationism it has become, by far, the most distinct and developed non aboriginal culture in Canada(well, the Newfs might argue that one). The French arn't just in Quebec though, the maritime provinces (New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia) are home to les Acadiens, early settlers who had thriving fishing villages on the coast long before the settlement of Montreal or Quebec City. Today I think the Acadians number at around 500 000. Then stretching all the way out west to Alberta and way up into the north you'll find a healthy scattering of french towns and villages left over from the days of the fur trade which les Canadiens were the back bone of. All Tolled I'd hazard to guess there are over a million francaphones living outside the borders of Quebec.

Hope that answers the question, have any more just let me know. I'm partly french-canadian in my background and french-english relations in Canadas history is one of my favourite subjects, so I'm probably the guy to ask ;)

peace

6. yovo

yovo Member

oh, and yes, sans is without

and the second part was him saying he also has a keyboard without accents

7. spooner

spooner is done.

i'm pretty sure that the majority of communities outside quebec all have strong francophone communities.

8. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

one of my elementary school teachers was a francophone, he was a great teacher.... no accent in either language.

I can speak French badly. I have the accent down pat, but I have a very small vocabulary and atrocious grammar. Same with German, heh.

9. jamaica

jamaica Member

fume un joint.

10. LordInsanity

LordInsanity Member

In Western Canada is more limited then in Quebec/Ont/Winnipeg in regards to the french Lang

And alot of Canadains don't really care about Quebec ecause they tried to seperate..Sorry i mean the Seperatist party tried to get them to seperate.

In fact alot of Canadain contests in Canada like the lottery will have Canada wide except Quebec

11. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

this past weekend, a lovely [size=-1]québécois[/size]woman asked me if i was bilange. she said that she heard the [size=-1]québécois accent in my voice. i used to be fairly fluent, but i havent used the language for so long...i'd have a hard time understanding anyone unless they were speaking veeerrrrrrrry slooooowwwwly. it was such a lovely compliment that she heard her mother tongue in my voice though. i remember the first few times i tried speaking french to a francophone, they knew right away that i was an anglophone and immediately switched over to english.
    [/size]

12. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

i was raised speaking french, but not quebec french - my mother's from france.

13. Spacer

I think any of you that know French should use it as often as possible, it's a great thing in life to be able to speak more than one language.

14. spooner

spooner is done.

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilangual
    What do you call someone who speaks two languages? Biliangual
    What do you call someone who speaks one language? American

15. Rob

Rob Member

C'est vrai, les americains parlent seulement une langue.
    I speak french fluently, though I'm from Calgary. I now live in Quebec, and attend an english University.

Peace

16. Erskine

Erskine Member

it sorta really all depends on where you live in canada to be exposed to much french ... i'm from NB and i believe its the only offical bilingual province ... and i know our french here is just fucked up ... it's like they completly combined english and french for the most part ... it's fun though

17. Spacer

Haha that's a good one, it's funny in Europe when you see Americans looking for directions and when someone doesn't know any English they just say it louder and slower and start doing these attempts at sign language. I saw two in Budapest looking for directions and it was the funniest thing ever.

18. hip_peace

hip_peace Senior Member

well i know but i know arabic and english and assirian more than frensh so je ne peux pas dire que je ne sais pas la langue francaise mais je parle ....

19. hip_peace

hip_peace Senior Member

and yes i agree with ( spacer) it's veryyy nice 2 know more than one language. well i know
    1_arabic
    2_assirian
    3_frensh
    4_english

20. Rob

Rob Member

Yeah, Spacer.
    I met a guy in Samoa who would put a bad accent on his english in the hopes that he would be understood.
    Hilarious.

Peace