how many of you smoke tobacco?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by hippiehillbilly, Feb 4, 2009.

1. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

A friend of mine just called me and said he was digging into that new "CHIP" child insurance plan thats going through washington and saw where the tobacco tax to pay for it would put a 23 dollar a pound tax on roll your own tobacco!:eek:

he and i both roll our own so we didnt get into the tax per pack but one can only assume its on the same scale. that means whatever you pay for tobacco now will pretty much double in price..:eek:

talk about foresight,we just received tobacco seeds in the mail today..

fuck them we will grow our own...:D

what was it obama said?? "no new taxes on the working class"?? yeah right..:rolleyes:

2. prissbaby

prissbaby creepy

I wish I did. I've had cigarettes from people who roll their own, and I thought they were a lot better

but I don't know how to do all of that. so I just buy Marlboros... :mad:

3. hippiehillbilly

how will you feel when they double in price?

4. telephone

telephone weird

I don't smoke anymore, but hell, I wish I could get a huge plot of land and grow some tobacco (among other things) for trade.

5. prissbaby

prissbaby creepy

well.. I'm sure that will make me want to quit even more than I already want to now....

but I assume I really won't be able to afford them. they are over $6 a pack as it is now.. so $12.. I don't see myself buying them anymore

maybe I'll become one of those people who always asks to bum a smoke.

6. jerry420

jerry420 Doctor of everything Lifetime Supporter

guess id better stock up on tins of bugler then...

7. TheGanjaKing

TheGanjaKing Member

I don't smoke cigs anymore, but my wife does. And if they double in price, she will be quitting.

One way or another.

8. hippiehillbilly

ok i just looked.. tailor made smokers got it made.. its only 61 cents a pack :rolleyes:HOWEVER, states are going to tack more on to it as well.
    articles are saying expect to pay a dollar more a pack..

even with the 25 dollar a pound tax on loose tobacco its still cheaper to roll your own though..still, im glad we are going to start growing our own all the same..

no new taxes on the working class my ass...

9. footloose

footloose Member

Rollups are well nicer in my opinion. But I imagine a lot of people who disagree will agree with me soon if what you say is true...

10. Autentique

Autentique wonderfabulastic

I no longer smoke and I dont think I ever will again, but taxes to things like tobacco or alcohol never bothered me. Yeah, it's annoying for them to be more expensive, but do I really need to smoke a cigarette?

I remember a couple of years ago in DR they raised taxes on food, alcohol and tobacco and then after only a few days lowered the taxes for tobacco and alcohol, while keeping the new taxes on food the same way :rolleyes:

11. hippiehillbilly

BTW,schip is a done deal,will be signed into law today..

12. hippiehillbilly

just remember,its been PROVEN, that lower income people are more likely to smoke and drink than higher income people. therefore a consumption tax on these things is nothing more than a tax targeted to the lower end of the income earners (the same people obama claims to be looking out for).

13. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

The price hike might be enough to convince even Obama to quit smoking. :)

14. Autentique

Autentique wonderfabulastic

I know and that's exactly the reason why it doesnt bother me. If anything, Im in favor of it, what does bother me is people who cant put their needs before luxuries. Which to me alcohol and tobacco are, but I guess I think that way since I've never been dependent on any of the two.

I know you're talking about this because of what Obama said and is now doing, but I really dont care about Obama.

15. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

this makes me sick

16. prissbaby

prissbaby creepy

why Fitzy?

17. fitzy21

because of the taxing

18. prissbaby

prissbaby creepy

19. fitzy21

i'll smoke a cigar now and then, but i've never really been a smoker and the taxing of this pisses me off

i haven't even looked at the legislation, but i already know its BS

20. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Im not a smoker....so I really couldn't care less...I wish Canada cigarettes would cost more...then maybe some of my friends will quit