How many do you have? Then vs. now

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by moontime, Jan 24, 2005.

1. moontime

moontime mountain girl

Hey all, I'm just curious how many dreads you have. Do you have less now than you started with (congos)? I think I have like 53, they are 2 weeks old.
    How long was your hair and how much length did you lose? These are interesting questions because everybody's answer is different and unique to them. My hair goes halfway down my back and I havn't lost much length, but I'm sure I will when they tighten up.

2. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

oh geez... I couldn't tell you. My hair is SO thick... ok nevermind... I just counted... I have 52 dreads. They are all thick little buggers too and I love em. :) I have already combined a few so I have less than when they started. When I first started them I think I lost an inch. My hair seems to have grown alot. They are down to my shoulders now. They are tightened just not all organized yet, they have to mature more so I doubt I will lose much length in the future.

3. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

i only have 36 ..... but i think i miss counted cos i used to have about 42 :S and i dont think that many have combined :S

4. neoteny

neoteny Member

I have no idea how many I have, but I do know that I lost a whole lot of length. My hair started out down to my ass, and now my longest dreads are barely past my shoulders.

5. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

Ohhhhhh I like this question !!!!!!

For me I started off with 69 Roots on my head...... now I have 49 (I think).. hehehehe and I cut one dread off and gave it to Sara before she left to New Zealand...

My hair shrunk ALOT!!! I has about 4 inches of hair past my chin at the very front….. once I dreaded and it shrunk.. I think its was just a to my chin..... and now its about an inch and a half past my chin in some parts

but my original back combed parts have shrunk soooooooooooooo much

less then half the lower half of the dread is the old original back combed... I had LONG hair though

Its seems the length in it self has stayed the same cause as my hair has been growing the original back combed is shrinking… I think that stage is done now and there just getting longer and longer

I love my dreads and they are growing soooooo fast...

6. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

wow. my boyfriend has about 20-30. He doesn't have many at all compared to you guys! and his hair is mega thick! Should i have put in more? I guess it's too late now! But they look good especially for being only a month old.

I know this girl who has super big ones. SHe must have less than 10.

7. sm0key42o8

sm0key42o8 Senior Member

I have like 26, but I still have hair thats dreading. I have had mine for about 5 months now and have actaully not really gained or lost any length-I think they are still tighten up and it is countering out the growth. My dreads are down to my shoulders now.

8. moontime

moontime mountain girl

No, the whole point of the thread is that everyone's are different. I bet your boyfriends dreads are awesome, you should post a pic! ;)

9. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

I only want 20 dreads...

i cant wait till that day

10. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

you guys are so sweet. You always make my day and remind me there's kynd folks out there.

11. MoonjavaSeed

MoonjavaSeed Yeah, Toast!

the first time around when i had dreads i had 64, and 63 when i took em out.. now after like a week and a half i have 54 :D

12. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

I have 40 but my bangs aren't dreaded so I could have 3-6 more than that. i have really thick hair. They are abouit medium thickness. I lost about 3 or five inches, but I didn't backcomb them.

You separate the hair into sections. The grab the tip of a section and pull it apart down to the roots with one bunch in each hand. Then put it back together and grab two different parts. Continue until its tangled almost to the tips then roll.

No wax, no backcombing, quick and beautiful natural dreadies.

13. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

crystal eyes... thats basically the same as back combing :p it does the same thing it just multiplys the action with one movement. :p that how i did my dreads a mix of comb (which was actually a bad hair brush so it didnt work too well) and what you described... then i left them.

14. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

I think I have 32 and it's been about six months, but I have loose hairs that haven't made their ways yet. I don't really know how many I started out with....they kind of just formed their own ways. I never backcombed or anything, I just sort of let it happen to themselves.

15. phishcourtney04

phishcourtney04 Member

i have exactly 20 dreads! :) my hair just kind of did its dready thang...it used to be down to my lower back when it was straight, but it ate itself up and now my longest dreads are necklength (does that even make sense?) and my shortest dreads are only a few inches long. i have a friend who calls me jellyfish head--haha. i lost so much length in such a short amount of time, but it's all good and natural i guess

16. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

....Just trying to help? No one mentioned that technique so I thought I would......I wasn't even going to write it but my boyfriend said I should...I feel defensive for some reason and I don't like the feeling....

I saw what you guys said to the girl that bleached her dreads and didn't like it. I don't shave, I don't wear make up other than sparkles. I'm all natural baby and maybe you can't tell from my pics but my dreadies are dark purple. I lo-ove purple!

17. moontime

moontime mountain girl

The technique you mentioned is called "twist & rip". That's how I did mine the first time I had dreads. And I think its helpful to mention other methods. :)
    hugs
    sam

18. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

I got 18, but my whole head's pretty much one big lock with alot of lil'er locks comin off it.

19. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

I asked a simple question on why someone would bleach their dreadlocks and now your acting like asking that is a crime??? We can't ask why someone decided to do that? I get confronted on a weekly basis about what I believe in and why I do things certain ways, I don't get huffy about it. It wasn't a personal attack, it was a question. Some of us are natural and some are not, it doesn't matter. This is a Q&A board on dreadlocks and understanding things other people do is something we like to do here. This particular thread though is not the place to post this comment. It is more than welcomed for you to discuss it where it was orignally posted. Now lets all get back to the orignal post and stay on topic. Jeez! No drama on my board please!

20. Electricbuddha

Electricbuddha Member

Okay I’m going to step in, and after I do (As a s side moderator) im also going to ask for this little "side step" to end .

One thing about connecting together as a community on-line is that, communication can be turned and manipulated so easy. Simply from not even having much tone or expressions to work with. None the less- we have to be conscious that other people are not thinking on the same page as you are.. which is important for us to recognize, and intern use communication in where each individual feels equal and satisfied.
    We are here to learn and help us guide each other from our differences.

In this forum I would like us to all be conscious that everyone helps us on your personal growth and learning….. and to embrace others opinions.

Now in saying this.. it is important to give forth your opinion so it can he herd and recognized for its self. Its also important to be able to freely ask the questions one desires to ask with out a hassle.

So can I ask all of you…..that when u feel you need to voice something out, write it where you get to say what you want to say but don’t offend other’s..

I have seen this a few times now.. and for example the bleaching success story thread: The questions and responses that are present are very appropriate in context, but obviously some there was conflict and defenses generated from miss communication... which could have been avoided.

And Mamma in saying this.. I fully and utterly agree with your no drama on the forums.. but.. that’s basically what I’m trying to say right now..

but when reading your last post automatically makes me thing it will trigger peoples "defensive side".. even me writing this triggers peoples defense...

I just wanted people to understand where im coming from…

So let all know we love each other and all support each other and just approach something’s more consciously.

Thank you for letting me grunt and grown.. I LOVE YOU ALL... have fun
    This community is growing every week!

BE WELL!!!!

Namaste,
    Electric Buddha