How is Life in Alaska?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by SlayerFan20, Mar 9, 2011.

1. SlayerFan20

SlayerFan20 Member

I've always been fascinated by Alaska and I'm wondering what its like to live there.

2. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

i have friends in Nunavut ..pretty much the same as alaska....rent is outrageous...so are wages...women are hard to come by.....weed in Rankin inlet is 50 a gram...food is expensive...you have to fly in and out or go by dog sled....there are real Eskimos there....

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I hope it's like that movie White Fang.

4. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

Great in the summer but Butt cold in the winter. It's a huge state so it varies on where you are thinking. Southeast is more rain foresty and you need to take a boat or a plane to get around. I've never been in the interior (Fairbanks area) and Anchorage is a city but easy to get around by car. I like Homer small, about 10,000 people kinda hippie vibe.
    I'll be up there working next month for most of the summer.

5. LovesLiquid

LovesLiquid Member

Seems great everyones got a gun :(

6. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

no, it's not true

7. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

My brother is being stationed there (lucky bastard). If I ever get to visit, maybe I'll tell ya.

8. darkforest

darkforest Member

Most people have a rifle for hunting. Food is expensive outside of Anchorage and Fairbanks.

9. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

they live in igloos and must kiss by touching noses because lips stick together instantly...if you pee outside it turns to snowflakes before it hits the ground...if you pan in any river you will immediately find gold....ordering ''baked alaska''will get you punched out or depending who you ask?really good weed

10. AK907

AK907 Guest

yup that pretty much sums it up...

11. tricknologist

tricknologist menace to sobriety

When I was in the army in the early 90's, I was stationed at Fort Wainwright, right outside of Fairbanks. The summers are great and the winters are brutal. There used to be a bunch of cool hippies up there when I was stationed there. The soldiers I hung out with were a bunch of stoners and we got along with the locals better than most of the other soldiers did. The only time I went to the southern part of the State was for training at Fort Richardson and for a Metallica concert in which I was the only one who didn't trip because I was stuck driving.

12. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

You can see russia from the whole state, and there's helicopters everywhere, shooting endangered wildlife for the pleasure (and TV money making schemes) of hockey moms whose husbands are trying to start an armed alaska seperatist revolution.

Other than that, it's kinda warm sometimes, and really fucking cold the rest of the time.

13. AK Bones

AK Bones Member

The best thing about Alaska to me is the immensity and the vastness of the place. The presence of the living native culture is also a definite plus. The vitality of the ecosystem with the presence of the giant bears, the eagles, wolves, whales, and salmon are like nowhere else on this planet. Add the extremely small population for this huge land mass and in some folks eyes you could call this paradise. Add the fact that you can enjoy this and with todays technology still be in touch with family and those close it's not a bad deal. We can even learn about all the latest chemicals and other important info from the Hip Forums from here... Can't beat that.

14. brandonveg

brandonveg Member

I lived on Ft. Wainwright for over a year. I have been north to the Yukon river/ yukon quest and south to seward. It is an amazing state...good weed....but damn its cold and dark in the winter!

15. iluvmj

iluvmj Guest

I was just asking this question. Homer sounds cool. Ive always been curious about alaska ever since i visited and learned about matanuska valley thunderfuck.
    Did i spell that right?