How important is recess?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Shatarag, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Shatarag

Shatarag Member

My 11 year old daughter's teacher does not allow them to go to recess.
    Now I know handling 15 to 20 eleven year old kids can be a very stressful I'm gray at 28 but these kids as hipper as they already are confined to a room all day except lunch and gym call my crazy but this really pisses me off!

How do I handle this?

2. marysoul

marysoul Member

complain to the administration

3. Shatarag

Shatarag Member

Its not considered a requirement.
    :confused:

4. *°GhOsT°LyRiC°*

*°GhOsT°LyRiC°* Supporters HipForums Supporter

recess is important for kids to be able to socialize with the other kids in a non-school like environment. 11, that's 5th or 6th grade, right? i think kids should have it until junior high. if you want to fight it, you can go to the school board and find out what you need to do. maybe collect signatures, i dont know. they would be able to tell you.

5. Shatarag

Shatarag Member

A petition seems like the best way to me it just blows me away this is even an issue. It worries me what else are kids going without in there education
    out of just pure laziness?

6. RandomOne

RandomOne Member

Yes, yes it should be. Children need to learn to play as well as learn academic things

7. fricknfrack

fricknfrack Member

It is by law a requirement that children need 15-20 minutes in the morning 30-40 minutes at lunch and 15-20 in the afternoon. Correct me if i am wrong. But the legislation is changing by 2010. A probation officer camw in and talked to us in Law about elementary and secondary schools changing. If its just that one teacher i would direct it to the principal, the principal will have a talk with her and i would after speaking with the principal go up above them and contact the board of educaton. After that go to your MP or MPP and get a petition. Children NEED to clear their minds. Imagine not getting a break after 6-8 hrs of work. And than not geting a lunch. What if the children, difn't eat breakfast and wanted to eat breakfast on their recess time???

8. Wiseman

Wiseman Senior Member

It's vital. Outside of the classroom, people are radically different then they are within. And limiting people to talking just in their is a crime. Nobody will know who anybody else truly is.

It's a shame that they aren't being permitted recess time. I'd probably get ahold of the school board and voice your complaint to them.

9. chemigals

chemigals They call me Chemi

I would not be happy in your situation.
    These kids could become unruley if not allowed to have some time out.
    The teacher will be dealing with alot worse if she/he does not allow them recess.
    Complain, petition whatever but dont leave it!

10. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Senior Member

Yeah do whatever you can get other parents involved as well, recess is a great thing for child and adult!

11. Humminbird

Humminbird Member

yeah, sounds like prisoner's rights! :hat:

12. Shatarag

Shatarag Member

My daughter is a talker and she can not sit still at all it just doesn't make since to me. In my opinion she is just making her job harder because you have those children that have to express themselves.

13. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

way to add to the obesity epidemic, teach!

some people. even i can't sit still that long and i'm lazy.

14. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

There isn't a law that states anything about a recess requirement. If schools have low state standardized test scores then they can decide to "get rid of" recess. People are trying to lobby for a law that requires all schools to have recess. Kids need recess time and so do teachers. It is stupid that some schools don't have it. Also, some schools don't even have gym class!! And we wonder why our children are getting fatter.

15. Shatarag

Shatarag Member

Look at all of the ADD cases in children.
    Look at the education levels in our schools. The test scores and drop out levels especially in small rural areas where people don't pay as much attention or funding is lower. The sad part is this is a well funded school. There is no excuse or reason.

I'm seriously to the point where home school and personal tutors may be the best option.

16. Traceroni.

Traceroni. Senior Member

I personally believe a child, especially a young child needs recess.
    Not only to get a "break" from the in class stuff, but also to develop a healthy lifestyle.
    Exercise should be an important part in everyone's life, but especially for youth.
    It gives them a chance to run around, play sports that they otherwise might not get at home...
    I mean, as a discipline, I understand making a kid stay in for recess when they don't do whatever, but taking it away is cruel, especially if they're used to it.

17. She definitely has to be making her job harder. I think it should be required by law that there is recess. Kids need that time to burn off some energy and have fun.