How has vegetarianism changed in your lifetime?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by drumminmama, Nov 17, 2019.

1. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Simple question, difficult answer. I’m feeling mean, maybe.

My awareness of vegetarianism started at 7. My practice at 12. My first encounter with the word vegan was at 14. It was a British article, so I thought it was regional. I was basically following Hare Krsna diets. Lacto veg. I, however, love spice. I kept the fire.
    Solo, in (then) rural Texas, no computer, no internet. Two vegetarian or similar cookbooks in the one town library. Diet for a Small Planet and an Adele Davis book. Inter library loan netted a couple more. The small book the Krishnas put out, and a French cuisine book on vegetable preparation.

Grocery wise, I had kinda whole wheat bread sans eggs, the occasional Loma Linda or Worthington product.
    I had a lot of cheese. Good thing I couldn’t gain weight.
    I learned to cook.
    I ate about 10 different veggies, counting potatoes, to start. Within a decade that doubled. But I still eat a small rotation. It just changes seasonally.
    It’s fair to say I lived on fruit, salads, and dairy. Plain yogurt, cheese. My compromise included eggs in holiday dishes, but never on my own. I never liked mayo, so that wasn’t a problem.

The day I saw a veggie based burger was astounding. I could “eat what the family ate” one night a week.

I raised my kiddo on “shut up and eat it” and “this or starve.” Basically all the veggies over brown rice and rotating sauces. He cooks it now in his own household.
    Also pasta dishes.
    We had beans plus whole grains, grilled veggies, steamed, raw. I was simple in preparation. Now, a tiny bit more elaborate.
    The 90s has the beginnings of today’s bounty of mock meats. So, we had the occasional boca brat as hot dog. And burgers.

Now, it’s common in urban areas to find fully vegan restaurants and options galore for the transitioning newbie.

srgreene likes this.
  2. dogsy64

dogsy64 Guest

Veganism is very unpopular here in cattle town but after reading the “China Study” I went vegan several years ago. My last two echocardiograms prove I am reversing heart disease. I am not sure how it will affect the rest of my body. But my heart is loving it.

drumminmama likes this.
  3. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

Its becoming more accessible now and more main stream . More chefs are turning their attention to veggie dishes . I never thought I would be erring towards vegetarianism but its a contributing factor to my healthier lifestyle .I still think there is big room for improvement for takeaways .

drumminmama likes this.
  4. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I first considered it after seeing what a farm was like in high school. I ate meat and was aware it was alive but I did not connect it all. I saw how cows and would act like dogs. Like I could see the emotion and mind a dog has. It's not as smart as a human but it will feel pain and it will bond with you if you treat it as a human treats a dog. I grew up around dogs and they were my only friends for a long time. I was known as weird kid since I would have a pack of dogs following me. It just happened. Even when I ate meat I guess I saw dogs as different to what I ate. So seeing all animals as a dog was such a wake up call.

I also saw how the farmers could not give less of a damn about what I saw. To them it's all money and logical and an attack on their mortgage payment to not kill things. Even when their own dog followed them to slaughter the farm animals. Where is the line? For example those in America who eat cows will not eat a dog as they do in Korea. They will feel the same way as me. That dog is special I care for it too much to eat it. Seeing the realities of meat is how a lot of us turn away from it.

It's changed in my life slightly but not much. There are more dietary options and a little less hate from meat eaters. They will say it's the vegitarian who attacks them and preaches. In my experience it's the other way around. It's REALLY important for them to remind you that you have teeth meant to rip flesh and your ancestors ate meat so you are wrong and stupid. Both of these things are true but I prefer to evolve. I never force my views on people and only mention my diet if people ask. People eat meat in front of me I don't say anything.

Even in Greek times there were vegetarians. It's not a new moral concept invented by left wing hippies in the 60's. I do what is right for me and others will do the same.

ZenKarma and drumminmama like this.
  5. drumminmama

Unfocusedanakin, your comment about who is preachy reminds me of a joke I hear with some regularity: how do you tell if someone is keto? You don’t. They will tell you. And tell you. And tell you.

unfocusedanakin likes this.
  6. srgreene

srgreene Members

It is so much easier today, what with various outlets catering to us. At least that is true in the USA. When I was born, I think it was much more challenging to be vege than it is today, and had an element of "weirdness" attached to it.

7. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

My own vegetarianism has shifted into something entirely new. It used to be I just didn't eat meat I think. There were veggie burgers in the freezer, and I loved Round Table Pizza's "Gourmet Veggie" pie. Now, everything is plant based. No butter, no lard, no bullion. Not even milk or creamer. And I'm finally used to it.

ZenKarma likes this.
  8. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I read Let's Eat Right to Keep Fit in my early 20s. I don't think she was a vegetarian, was she? A few years ago I took it out on an inter library loan to have another look.
    She was a trailblazer for other nutritionists to explain things to the general public. I would describe her as sincere and intellectually honest. In retrospect she got somethings wrong, but that is the nature of science. It is in constant state of re-evaluation. In many other areas she was ahead of her time in her thinking.

9. srgreene

srgreene Members

No, Adele was not vege.

10. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Homo sapiens are Omni-vores - we need both meat, vegetables and fruit !!!

11. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

Simple, More variety .

12. drumminmama

Untrue. Every nutrient can be supplied by plants, with care.

Sweetnpetite likes this.
  13. drumminmama

ha! I’d say my first decade was that.

in my lifetime, I’ve seen vegetarian go from being the weird hippie diet, or Jack LaLane freaks, to plant based being a vibrant industry. Veggie burgers at drive throughs? How cool.

scratcho likes this.
  14. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Well I'm an Omnivore - I eat and like meat - many different meats. My butcher used to be able to get me 'safari' meats and in the past I've eaten Buffalo, Camel, Crocodile, Eland, Gazelle, Impala, Kangaroo, Ostrich, Wildebeeste, & Zebra and enjoyed each and every one of them !!!

15. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

They now have vegan protein bars.

Some protein bars have egg and dairy, though I don't think any are made with meat or even meat flavoring. I discovered last week or so a brand calling itself "No Cow". As soon as I saw that, I knew it had to be vegan.

16. srgreene

srgreene Members

Vlad thinks he is knowledgeable, but he isn't. Omnivores are not obliged to eat meat. That said, early humans undoubtedly ate meat (likely primarily carrion) when they could get it. While meat is not required in the human diet, our big brains required a lot of protein, and eating meat is the easiest way to get that.

drumminmama likes this.
  17. drumminmama

I have said many times here, humans are opportunivores, able to survive on what they find.

18. drumminmama

please quit trolling the vegetarian section.