How do you think the US would be different if marijuana had never become illegal?

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by hamsammich, Jan 29, 2005.

1. hamsammich

hamsammich Member

Weird stuff to think about whilst stoned.

2. Bob_Bong

Bob_Bong Member

Jimi Hendrix would still be alive.

God I miss you Jimi... :(

3. Spastic_Monkey

Spastic_Monkey Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Well.....I really don't know....

4. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

Marijuana would not be so commonly used.

5. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

marijuana would be more commonly used ;)

6. AbloodmoneyA

AbloodmoneyA Member

A TON of taxpayer money would be saved from going into the war on drugs.

7. BudBomb7

BudBomb7 Member

^damn right

81% of the war on drugs budget is used for only marijuana.(read it ont he DEA website)

there wouldnt be so many people in jail, not only because non of our mj family would be on lock, but because weed mellows people out.

there would be less violence because there would be more money tog et crackheads, rapists, murderers, etc. off the streets.

8. AbloodmoneyA

AbloodmoneyA Member

Marijuana could easily be enforced the same way as alcohol and cigs. No sell under 18/21, illegal to do while driving a car/operating heavy machinery.

9. WeeDMaN

WeeDMaN a pothead

cultivation would probably still be illegal so the government/other companys could make money selling them in little packages at stores....

if it was just legalized
    they would sell it, make cultivation illegal and make it really bunk(i dont know why, but the government seems to hate the fact that we smoke marijuana)

10. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Everyone would be a stupif pothead.

11. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

I think everyone is looking at this the wrong way, cept for trippin. If marijuana was never illegalised then it would have been a completely different situation. while its not certain that it would be used less, necessarily, by default it should be assumed so, since it was never used in mainstream excess while it was legal.

the issue that hasnt been considered much is this (well its lots of things but it starts here): weed, unlike alchohol, is a drug you can be on, and still do practically anything, though still under the influence. the fact that alchohol is something you can only really do simple things and think about simple concepts is what keeps everyone drunk more predictable and controllable. Think about it, if weed was suddenly made legal, theyd have to sell it really cheap, caus not only would it not be the best shit, but youd have to sell it cheaper than dealers, or else thered be nothing to make dealers go out of business. so wed be having thischeap weed going around (it wouuld be able to be sold cheaper than cigarettes possibly, since the plant probably grows easier, and has multiple uses and so would be more profitable for growers) and if that was the case, then heaps of people would jsut be stoned. caus you can be stoned and keep it from people, but you cant be pissed without giving it away, caus thats part of the nature of being pissed. heaps and heaps of media and food and everything that stoners hold dear would become big industries. thc would be sold in every form possible. there would be little to keep people from being stoned all the time, caus if weed was legal, then you could be stoned whenever, and if they tested you, you could say you did it on teh weekend and thered be no way of getting into trouble. so there would be no way of telling if someones sober or high, legally. the unconventionality of it all would stufdf up a lot.

but this is only if weed was legalised now. its impossible to determine how it would be if it was never illegalised. though most probably, hemp would still be the main source of natural fibre. thats one of teh few definates.

12. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

"but youd have to sell it cheaper than dealers, or else thered be nothing to make dealers go out of business"
    if commercial rates were higher than dealer's rates, then wouldnt you rather buy it cheap? if it was legal, you wouldnt really be able to get caught 'dealing' either, since you could jsut say you bought it from the store. dealers would simply only carry a small amount on them, and then if they were cought giving it to you then there would be a valid excuse.

13. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

defining a dealer as a seller who does not tax, that is

14. AbloodmoneyA

AbloodmoneyA Member

Weed probably would be slightly cheaper(they would have to sell it in a puch right? I think it'd be funny if they sold a pack of joints with 20 joints rolled for you.) but the government would tax the hellout of it....which raises more questions why they don't just give up and legalize it.

15. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

people dont peddle tobacco caus it is sold very cheapcommercially, so for someone to sell it themselves, theyd have to grow large crops in order to make a profit.

though, weed would msot probably be sold very cheap, in which case there wouldnt be dealers, but then this would lead to the problems of everyone being increidbly sotned because its cheap and easy and you cant get in trouble for it

16. element7

element7 Random fool

Hmmmnnn, if it had never been made illegal .......
    Cab Calloway would have become president. The line between Texas and Mexico would look alot different. It would be all swirly looking because they would have sat down, smoked a few bowls, and decided to redraw the map. After many unsuccessful attempts, ah fug it. We'd all be wearing natural fiber clothes, architecture would look nothing like it is now, and music would be a whole different trip.... ah hell I don't know.

17. I_Am_A_Robot

I_Am_A_Robot Member

people wouldnt be as closeminded and maybe would see things in a sharper light

exactly what lotusblossom said

18. I_Am_A_Robot

I_Am_A_Robot Member

but people use marijuana anyway , alot of them at least so ... i dont think music would be different , because what the hell does a musician care if he is breakin the law. enless hes a PUSSY

19. wonlove17

wonlove17 Member

It would be very cool but i don think it would change that much. Youd still have stoners and then thered be people who bring up all the bad in it. damn im retarded

20. EddieV1984

EddieV1984 Member

I dont see how things would be much different than today. I can see however, marijuana and alcohol/tobacco switching places. I would also speculate that the environment would be in better shape, with less emphasis on fossil fuels. However, for someone who is really stoned (me), its hard to really hard to visualize a life without cannabis illegalization, especially when linear thought patterns are near impossible.:confused::)