How do you record your jam band?

Discussion in 'Live Music Trading Post' started by VileKyle, Mar 28, 2008.

1. VileKyle

VileKyle Member

What do I need to record a decent quality live garage jam. We have been using a boom box, 1 mic deal, but its quality is hissy and just isnt cutting it. I was thinking a 4 track casette recorder but then I found out its for multitracking. Multitracking is no good, because 1 jam doesnt happen two times.

Any ideas?

2. Neo-hippie

Neo-hippie Member

well, there are more then one ways...

I Hope i can help you out dude.

Us guys, we jam 24/7, when we're at someones home (like in a living room), we Mic up the amp(s) and capture it with CoolEdit, on a PC or a Laptop.

when we jam in pubs we use a Sony MiniDisc and with just one top of the line Mic you can get a pretty good sound, (and there's practically 0% Hiss!)

Both of these are still basically the one mic deal, you could split that if you record in sterio, you could Use the Left and Right track as Track 1 and 2.

Know what I Mean?

3. Captain Cannabis

Captain Cannabis Banned

I just film it with my dads camera...

But it's not a normal camera, it's made for recording loud noises. He used it when he used to have his live concert dvd business.

Untill the cops raided the house because it was ilegal.

4. duckandmiss

duckandmiss Pastafarian

Digital 4 Tracks with CD burners are cheap right now. We use one exclusively to tape practices and play them back later to write songs. We just set up 4 room mics check out levels and have at it. Then we mix it and burn it right to a cd. Its great!

5. duckandmiss

duckandmiss Pastafarian

Multitracking only means that you have the option of recording first on one track, then on another, then on another. If you want to record live, you just run all four tracks to record at the same time. That means you have 4 different mic placements and therefore 4 different sounds of the same material! Like the Beatles!