How do you cope?

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Smelly Socks, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Smelly Socks

Smelly Socks is probably lurking

How do you cope with depression? Do you even cope at all? I don't know what to do anymore. It seems like no matter how hard I try it just comes rushing back at me, weighing me down. I feel this weird emptiness inside that I cannot even describe. Everything seems so bleak and pointless. This life is so hard and so many people needlessly suffer everyday. So much pain. So much betrayl and oppression. I can't even really talk to anyone anymore. I just draw a blank. I feel so boring and uninspired; not to mention uninspiring. I don't know what to do with myself. I feel awkward in every single situation I am put in. I get so worried that the things and people I love and care for will either get hurt or turn their backs on me. I haven't left the house in almost 2 weeks and I'm starting to not even want to anymore. What's out there that is so fucking great? You put yourself out there just to get shit on.....

2. Krsna Bhakti

Krsna Bhakti d-_-b JAMMING

Life always balances itself out Moonchild. To share love is all we can do, to make others feel welcome and important and not expect in anything in return, because it does come back to us wether we realize it as such or not. I know its hard but it is worth it, we will realize what we've worked for after we are gone from our physical bodies, and after all I love you dont forget about meeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

3. wiuf

wiuf Member

the thing with hardcore depression is that you can't cope with it. it just seems to saturate every fibre of your being. the best anyone can do is try to forcibly remove it, which doesn't usually work. until it goes away by itself, which usually happens eventually.

4. Krsna Bhakti

Yes, it is a very vicous little bitch of a circle, isnt it?! :) Poor Moonchild, I hope she feels better soon.

5. StayLoose1011

StayLoose1011 Senior Member

Ah, SmellySocks, I've been there my friend. I got out of it when I realized that happiness is kind of a myth. It seems to me like you're trying too hard. Just let happiness come to you. Don't worry about all the suffering in the world. Focus on the joy in the world. Just put on some good tunes and sit by the river :) That's all life is about really. If peope treat you poorly, it's a reflection on them, not you... so just do what you enjoy, love life and those around you, and don't worry about anything else. It will all fall into place. Hope you feel better :)

6. Krsna Bhakti

Rachel, our lives will be much happier once we are married and have babes :) Then my son will have a brother or sister to play in the sunshine with, and a good, no wait, the BEST positive female role model to learn from, and you and I can discover our spiritual life, together. Hand in hand I will follow you and you will follow me across the valleys of endless seas, out of the snowy forests and into the desert night sky, pouring our words through filters of perception to catch the time and the weather, climb the vine to my home and I will play with your hair and sprinkle stardust on your dream illuminated eyelids, flickering with hope and trailing mental imaginative movies distributed out from the filing cabinets off the typewriter. Transform, Oh magical girl, into the power into the light into the moment inside of all moments, locked in for all eternity but never so free, flying higher and higher, lower on that Halloween morning to dip into the candy, sweet and sour, why rid ourselves of the pure potential, the love infinite, you were always here with me in all of our past lives, you are here with me now, and you will be by my side, hand in hand, when we finally take the step through the mirror, into the rip of time/space fabric (polyester blend, remember?) you are My Desert Flower, take control grab hold of the hour the minute the second eternal existance blinking in neon inside the bright city we ride, we tower, we are not afraid and we set high hopes for the forgotten New cities of tomorrow. Lets watch the world die, speak and I will follow, move and I will gather the rain, fall and I will catch you, take you home lets do it again Beautiful :)

7. sexbanshee

sexbanshee Member

i coped by going to get some healing...reiki, shaman, massage too...
    anything that soothed and help to heal the soul...

Evenutally I went on to train in these things too...

.....so I could go on and help others as well as myself..

Also singing, dancing, music, and being creative in general
    is a must for me or else I can become quite down...

But most of all...

LOVE....good loving in all its forms...exchanges of love to me
    are THE most important factors in healing depression...feeling
    and giving love is so so important for the soul to heal....

....but first of all comes self love

[​IMG]

8. sexbanshee

sexbanshee Member

..I also found giving up alcohol and smoking helped me
    as they were making me feel depressed...great while i
    was partaking...but the after effects...

.....uughh!!!

9. neponiatka

neponiatka Senior Member

i just wait till it goes away, filling my life with a lot of things i like

10. hippie_chick666

hippie_chick666 Senior Member

Perhaps seeing a doctor might help if you find the depression unbearable. There might be a chemical imbalance in your brain which is causing the depression. Clinical depression is treated with medication and counselling.

I have bipolar disorder and I take lexapro for my depression, which was really bad this past fall and winter. Since I started taking lexapro, I can deal with depression so much better because it doesn't affect me so badly. Counselling simply gives you stratigies to cope with the depression. Both have helped me tremendously.

If your depression is making it hard for you to carry on a "normal" life, then it is time to see a doctor.

Peace and love

11. Krsna Bhakti

Nevermind. -

12. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Rockin' on the horse sized pills!

(Well... hard physical work actually really helps me out... I work hard all day, which completely distracts me from myself, and when I come home I'm usually too damn tired to think).

13. johnnystillcantread

johnnystillcantread Member

I have a depression problem but I suck it up because there are people who depend on me and they get sad and depressed seeing me depressed. I also try to keep in mind that there are people in the world who are worse off then me. There have been many times that I felt that I was just a sack of poop but I would put on my clown mask and make someone laugh. Sometimes it helps my depression and if it doesn’t I will try and try again until I am laughing along with them. Cheers!

14. sexbanshee

sexbanshee Member

Doctors will only prescribe medication...

I wouldnt take that road myself...it tends to mask
    the depression rather than heal it...?

My father did this all his life...at 80 he has come off
    meds and is only just starting to feel his emotions!!

15. hippie_chick666

Doctors don't always prescribe medication only. My psychiatrist had me attend therapy first so that she knew if there was a geniune problem.

Medicine doesn't mask feelings. It makes the chemical imbalance in your brain go away. I take a lot of medication, and this is honestly the best that I've felt in years. Medication works for some people, but not everyone. If you do have clinical depression, you do need to see a doctor. People who have clinical depression are 17 times more likely to kill themselves. I think that statistic proves that depression is as deadly as any form of cancer, and should be treated as such. Medication doesn't take away your soul or anything; it makes life tolerable.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Peace and love

16. sexbanshee

sexbanshee Member

Medication does not heal emotional wounds....

It "numbs" them.....

Maybe mask was the wrong word.....its all to do with numbing

Yes I agree they make life tolerable...but they do not heal depression..
    i mean in the long term..

My 80 year old dad recently said to me...those pills dont work anymore...
    I dont think they ever did really :(

...but I do totally understand why people turn to them....

God knows this life we lead is at times almost unbearable...

Love and peace

xxx

17. hippie_chick666

That's why you go to therapy, to heal emotional wounds.

Medication alone will not "cure" a serious mental disorder. It takes a combination of life choices, therapy, support from family and friends, and medication. If you do not have the first three in your life, then medication will not completely "fix" the disorder. As far as being able to "fix" or "cure" a mental disorder, that is not possible. Some conditions get worse with time, while others get better.

Please allow me to clarify what a thourough treatment is: a combination of four parts, life choices, therapy, support, and medication. For bipolar disorder, life choices include taking medication at the same time every night, go to bed and wake up at the same time everyday, follow a routine, and take care of yourself. Therapy can help everyone, not only those with mental disorders. It really helped bring me closer to my parents and vice versa. Therapy allows you to look at the things in your life that you are having difficulties with, whether that may be personal, involving a friend or SO, or your parents. You must have the support of your friends or family to survive, disorder or not. Finally, medication. Medication is ONLY supposed to fix a chemical imbalance in the brain. Nothing more or nothing less.

Perhaps your father was still depressed, despite his treatment with medication only. Perhaps the issue with the remaining depression was actually caused by his lack of treatment, based upon the 4 parts of treatment. The "numbness" was not caused by the medication, but rather, the depression. When I read stories like this, it seems obvious that the treatment for the depression was lacking, causing the depression's underlying cause to remain hidden.

Medication CANNOT CURE any mental disorder. Proper treatment can get it under control.

Peace and love

18. sexbanshee

sexbanshee Member

I remember once I went to have a session with
    a brilliant "rebirth" therapist...

I was smoking at the time and it sort of interferred
    with my ability to deep breathe....(a part of the
    treatment was to concentrate on the breathe)....

After saying to him "Jeeeez I am gonna have to
    give up the smokes aint i"......

.....he replies "whatever gets you through girl"

And hey darling you dont have to tell me about therapy...
    i am a 48 yr old woman who has been to hell and back
    several times.....so i know where you come from...I
    had the opportunity to invest in both psycotherapy,
    counselling and many many sessions of healing....
    and then went on to train as a healer myself.....

We are living in very enlightened times....people are
    beginning to open up to "old ways"....(sean nois).....

We dont always really need to go forward ..... but at
    times just to "remember" what we lost....

...that in itself can help with the healing process...

:)
    Peace and love
    to you honey
    too
    xx

19. hippie_chick666

What is a "rebirth" therapist, if I may ask? I've never heard of that type of therapy.

Peace and love

20. sexbanshee

sexbanshee Member

Oh it is a treatment whereby the therapist encourages
    the client to start to breathe in a very deep way and to
    sustain this for quite some time...

I found at one point during the session I became so out
    of control (so much more so than with drugs) I could not
    stop myself from laughing,,,,

Some forms of rebirth therapy actually take the client back
    to the womb..

I didnt do this...