how do they looks? and a couple q's.

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Whirled Peas, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Whirled Peas

Whirled Peas Member

ok so this is what ive done. a lil over 24 hours ago i backcombed my hair. i liked it at first, but now im starting to think it will take forever for them to actually look like dreadlocks. how long does it usually take to lock up pretty decent and how long should it take for me to see some improvement. i saw on a webside dreadlocks.com that your hair should be 10'' long to natural dread. my hair is not that long. judging from the pictures does my hair look long enough and should i lose alot of length with the natural dreading. what i am going to do in a couple of days is shampoo my hair with suave or soap until i get the dr. brooners. which should i use? i have been seperating and palm rolling my hair, but it loosens right back up after about 20-30 mins. when you palm roll do you do it in one direction or back and forth (up and down)? i have been doing a little of both because i wasnt sure which to do. i tried putting a bead in my hair but i guess my dreads arent thick enough. does it look like i started with a good size? should the beads fit in a couple of weeks? how often should i palm roll and seperate? would it be best to backcomb or just leave alone? so can someone tell me if i should brush out my hair? and also with layered hair am i ok doing this. also how long before i see an improvement and my hair looks somewhat like dreads. thanks so much for your help. i know i asked alot of questions but im just self concious about everything. :D

2. nynysuts

nynysuts No Gods, No Masters

Don't panic!!! You'll be fine and the dreads look great! As I'm sure soaringeagle will tell you all backcombing does is start them off, then nature takes it's course!

3. PeaceItOut

PeaceItOut Member

yup...if you backcombed them or not dreads will naturally happen as long as you dont use conditioner or brush your hair.
    don't panik, like nyika said, just give 'em time and they'll develop just fine :D

4. Whirled Peas

Whirled Peas Member

i know, but does it really take 3 years for them to look like real dreads? do i really need to have 10'' of hair or longer? should i see an improvement every day?
    thanks for replying. :)

5. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

u wont see improvement every day but over weeks and months
    looks like if u start using residue free it will help..can u get broners or somethin in a week? or if u conditioned alot try deep cleanse (baking soda) get out any built up residues from conditioning give it a good shake out after u wash it....n it'll dread lil more week by week...i think its needin to do that clense...lil heavy on the sea salt (not too..just lil pinch or 3 more) maybe give what u did a couple days to settle in a bit 1st..(maybe skip the lemon juice? i think thats makin my dreads really soft & u might wanna let em tighten a bit b4 u add it..i dunno) i've only washed mine with the deep clense the last ..3 weeks and really love it.....ya probly got the ingredients in the kitchen
    that'll help i think, they wont take 3 years to look good...but they will take time...
    theyre gonna look great though :)
    the thicker 1's in the back especialy.. keep seperating em from eachother every few days or so...

6. soaringeagle

oh also if u wanna add a bead
    put a loop of thread thru the bead.... wet the tip of the dread stick it thru the loop and pull it thru the bead... force it up till it sticks..f u can get it to stick close to the end thats great cause it'll dread faster above then below

7. Whirled Peas

Whirled Peas Member

is it normal for it not to stay in. maybe mine are too thin i dont know, but i love the beads. soaringeagle you help everyone on here all the time and your a great help. thanks so much. is it ok to start wearing my hair up in a headband and ponytails when i go out?

8. soaringeagle

sure but....if u do, bu sure to seperate more often so u dont get em growin together