How do I say let him down? :/

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by Sunny Afternoon, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Sunny Afternoon

Sunny Afternoon Member

Okay, so I went on a date with this guy about a month ago.. and I realised that I only like him as a friend. But recently he's been trying to ask me on another date and I find myself just avoiding the subject and finding a way to get distracted.. I just want him to stop, 'cause it's making me feel uncomfortable, but how do I let him down gently? :/

2. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

just be honest, just say that you just dont feel romantically about him...

3. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

why is it so hard for people to be honest? I think he would feel a little more respected if you told him the truth and hung out with him like a friend instead of avoiding him and dodging his requests.

you'll feel tons better if you clear things up.

4. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Senior Member

Tell him you've got the clap.

5. lawngirl

lawngirl Member

when you say you only like him as a friend, do you mean you honestly want to form a friendship with him? or do you mean you just don't have romantic/sexual feelings for him?

if you tell him that you just want to be friends, then actually be friends with him. spend time together as friends. don't tell him that you just want to be friends, and then never talk to him again. if you just want him off your back, then tell him gently. but being dishonest about your feelings and avoiding him isn't a good way to start (or maintain) a friendship.

6. juggla

juggla Member

well you have to keep dating him or not see him again, he'll be pissed off cause hes probly gonna feel like you led him on.

7. Sunny Afternoon

Sunny Afternoon Member

I'm really shy though, and I don't wanna upset him. So I'm gonna take your advice and just tell him straight out that I only wanna be friends next time.

lawngirl - I was already his friend beforehand, the only reason I've been weird is because I didn't know how to let him down. But after I tell him I'm gonna be his friend, not stop talking to him.

8. David54

David54 Member

I hope that's true. It's a real sign of maturity if it is.