How Do I Change The Strings On My Guitar?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by wilddreamer, Aug 15, 2005.

1. wilddreamer

wilddreamer Member

Help me i have no idea how to do it ti's a normal 6 string acoustic guitar? :)

2. Bass

Bass Member

loosen them up, so they dont snap, cut them, pull out the plugs on the bottom, place them in there, loop them around the tuning keys and tune.

3. wilddreamer

wilddreamer Member

Thanks dude it's heaps harder then it looks hey well when yuo first do it thnaks heaps i'll give it a go :)

4. jay

jay Member

i use a canopener to pull out the "buttons" at the end, and normaly save my broken strings for my experimental instamnets such as my coffe can bass

5. solaris

solaris Member

Here is the real question what is best way to glue you bridge back down. Take it of and sand the area all down or just stuff some glue under it and clamp it back down?

6. WhisperingWoods

WhisperingWoods too far gone

Em.. how did it come off?

You could really ruin the guitar by screwing around yourself. 'Should try taking it to a guitar shop to get repairs.

7. Colours

Colours Senior Member

go to a store and have it done. its the safest way if you have to ask on a forums for help ;)

8. solaris

solaris Member

Well it only pulled up a little once I got the strings of it went down a lot. I think I could get it down by myself. I know a guy at a music store who said to just glue it down but how much do you think it would cost to have it fixed?

9. inzgary

inzgary Members

Its a royal pain in the ass to change a string on my nylon string acoustic. I dread the day the next string snaps!

10. alice_d_millionaire

alice_d_millionaire Just Do It©

classical style guitars are a string-changing pain in the ass... and they are not plugs... theyre bridge pins...

11. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

http://www.frets.com

12. Digger168

Digger168 Member

One of the things I have found that makes it easier is a device called a string winder. You can buy this at any local music shop in your area. It just a handle with a holder that fits over the tuning key on your guitar.

This usually allows for quick winding/unwinding of your guitar. as for removing the tuning anchors on the bottom of your guitar, what you want to do is this

after loosening the strings, reach under the sound hole and as you wiggle the string, try pushing in?
    locate the bottom of the anchors with your fingers under the sound hole, and begin to push them up as you move the string. The combined action will allow for easy removal of the anchor and you don't have to use pliers to pull out the anchor from the top.

Dig?

When you put new strings on,
    it is best to wrap them around the tuning peg 3-5 times.
    and cut the string at a right angle (i'm not making this up)
    this prevents breakage.

When you have the strings on and have them almost wound to tune, begin a gentle pull up and down of the strings, to release tension slack, this will give you a quicker tune and your guitar will stay in tune longer.

I love my acoustic more than my life.
    and I won't stop playing untill they pry it
    from my cold dead fingers.

Digger

13. solaris

solaris Member

I find changing my strings pretty easy. I never found it hard. There was an artical in guitar world mag on how to change a string in 60seconds. On an electric though.