How did you make the transition to hippie?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Hari, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

Slow or fast?
    Whom did you copy?
    Who was your mentor?
    What was your instant turn on?
    Who opposed it?

In your own words...

2. Lady Neko

Lady Neko Member

i guess my dad. though he does not dress as a hippie he brought me up with the ideals. he told me to make my own descions of the matter but this is what he believed. as i grew up i agreed and saw what he was talking about. as for dressing i just dress for my own taste. yes peasent skirts, tie dyes, jeans, clogs and such. but i am comfortable in these. i do not do it for the "hippie" fashion. i want to stay true to my soul and that is how dad told me to live.

3. neponiatka

neponiatka Senior Member

have i made this transition:)
    i havent even noticed:)

well i've alw been a lil bit different from my mates due to my character and views on life so finally it showed itself in hippy ideology
    ...gradually naturally and painless...:)

my farther is against, he's too conservative

my mother takes it with a pinch of salt...
    people keep wondering at me

but i dont care

4. Freekowtski

Freekowtski Member

More or less as neponiatka. My parents don't get the idea that I changed in mood and style, but I neither care, I found my style and I'm proud of it...

5. lunarflowermaiden

lunarflowermaiden Senior Member

Transition? I am simply myself and have always been myself. I don't feel I made any transitions into any lifestyle.

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Haha, I'm happy to say I never made that transition. I really don't see myself as a hippie, and not because I don't want a label and all that stuff. I just find hippies cliché and naive in general.
    But to answer your question, because I guess I know what you ment to ask, how I connected to hippies or these site, it's mainly because of the music. The fact I'm a dirty longhair, don't like to work a lot, am pretty liberal and easily attracted to all things psychedelic, from music to drugs is just coincidence! :D

7. lunarflowermaiden

^A hippie who hasn't come out of the closet yet :D

8. Asmodean

Never!

9. lunarflowermaiden

Remember, the first step is always acceptance. You must admit it someday.

10. Just A Ride

Just A Ride Member

i dont really see myself as anything !! just someone that cares

11. Asmodean

Can't admit what i'm not! I only have the symptoms.

12. lunarflowermaiden

Sure...if only I had a nickel for everytime I heard that!

13. Asmodean

14. lunarflowermaiden

Ok, fine, I take back what I said. You're not a hippie :).

15. Asmodean

I know, I was born in the eighties.

16. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

Myself, I remember helping my cousin dry banana peelings. That must have been about '66' or '67'. I was first grade in school, in La Puente, Cal.
    I remember going to the beach with her, and meeting her friends.
    Then for awhile, I learned to make money. (Got a Job) Suddenly back in '92' or so, I worked a temp job, that became permanent. And I met this woman older than me, She knew my cousin!!! Now, I'm hippy all the way.

17. lunarflowermaiden

That doesn't necessarily mean anything, but you are lucky I am too tired to argue about it [​IMG].

18. Asmodean

To me it does, seriously. The hippie subculture was in the sixties, if you look at the average 'hippie' in the present they all want to go back to that time if they had the chance. Most of them nowadays are also pretty hypocrite.
    And is a peace, nature, music and drugs loving person per definition a hippie?

19. lunarflowermaiden

Well, although it (of course) stems from the movement in the sixties, I still believe a person can share the same values and outlook that was present then. There are a lot of people out there who just sit around and getting stoned and call themselves "hippies," but there are also a lot of people who actually do have a lifestyle that involves caring about the planet and trying to make a change. I consider these people very rare to find, but I still do see a few every once and a while. I guess it depends on how you define the term. I see it as more of an ongoing lifestyle, but other people see it as a fashion statement.

20. Archemetis

Archemetis Senior Member

i hate to say it, but what really opened my eyes was lsd. i was 13 and had my lenses wiped clean. i wouldnt say that made me a hippy right away, but that is what originally made me concious of the authentic reality (i couldnt be a middle school kid anymore, lol). i was awoken from a dream that day. its been a concious growth process ever since, where as before that element didnt exist.