How did the hippie period end?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by LittleQueenie, May 18, 2013.

1. LittleQueenie

LittleQueenie Guest

I'm working with Hippies in my English exam, but I can't find anything about why there stop coming new hippies

Someone who know it? Please.

I can see that I post in the wrong place, forgive me, I'm new

2. Madesh

Madesh Member

Hippies never went away. Some grew older and changed. Some stayed as they always had. Others just played life on the quiet. Hippies have mostly developed with time. The protests are often in person, but also through techno media. Communities too have mostly changed, but importantly the 'hippie' mind is as it always was, free thinking.

3. infantdressingtable

infantdressingtable Member

They all came to Hip FOrums !!

4. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

A lot of hippies are using protection those days, so not many new hippies are being bred.

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

everyone became disillusioned and started doing cocaine.

6. skitzo child

skitzo child PEACEFUL LIBRA

The generation ened enough said

7. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

While hippies have never disappeared completely, their great era from the mid 60s to the early 70s certainly came to an end. There are a number of reasons why.

With the end of the Vietnam War many of them felt their great goal was accomplished and it was time to move on with their lives.

Others simply grew older and started getting married and raising families, realizing that with more responsibility in their lives it was time to get serious.

As Meliai said, many became disillusioned. Some of the reasons for this were the Altamont concert, the Manson murders, Kent State, and the deaths of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison and other rock stars.

The younger crowd that came along in the 70s was less sharing and more selfish. What's the point in sharing your stuff with everyone if they're not sharing back? Hippies were replaced by stoners. Idealism was replaced by realism or cynicism.

The hippie spirit lives on though. Hippies didn't invent it, it wasn't a new concept in the 60s. There has always been a counter culture, but no one ever did it better than the hippies. There was a resurgence of hippies during the Bush administration, and we can expect more in the future, because when the culture we live in becomes intolerable, the counter culture grows.

8. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

yup and they got older and traded their cocaine for rogain.

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Naturally.

10. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

and traded acid for antacid.

11. granny_longerhair

granny_longerhair Member

Very true. Social and political movements have run in cycles throughout history. The United States in particular has been in the conservative side of the cycle for the past decade or two, but this too will pass. As newo says, there have been hippie movements before. They were called by different names, and they had different goals and credos, but they were hippies nonetheless.

Who knows when the next movement will come about, or what its focus will be? I think it's safe to say it won't be exactly like the one that exploded on the world in the late 1960's, but it will be something.

I do think it's interesting that in a lot of ways, the radical right today uses a lot of the same tactics and even espouses some of the same philosophy that the radical left used back then. The Age of Aquarius somehow morphed into the Age of Concealed Carry.

So we'll see what happens, eh? :)

12. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

This is an excellent post!

I would add to it by mentioning that right at the time of Altamont and Manson and the overdoses, there was a cover article in Look magazine, a very popular publication of its time, that stated that LSD caused birth defects. Altho it was later discredited, it was widely believed. Also there was Art Linkletter's claim that his daughter got high on LSD and walked out a window to her death. This was a major bummer to the counterculture.

Also, as newo mentioned, the economy changed a lot in the 1970's, mainly due to the first Energy Crisis in 1974. After that, there were years of incredible inflation which made it much tougher to make a living. Previously, it wasn't that hard to get by on very little money, but after this, people had to get much more serious about their careers, etc.

Another thing was that rock music started to stagnate around the mid-1970's. I think it had a lot to do with many major stars getting addicted to heroin (Lennon and Clapton and many others) and abusing cocaine (Grateful Dead, George Harrison and many others). This led to the rise of New Wave, Punk, and most of all, Disco. This music did not express the values of the 60's -- it was something else.

Aerianne likes this.
  13. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

The rave movement was in many ways the next movement to embrace many of the same counter cultural ideas of hippies. There wasn't quite as much emphasis on rejecting authority (although there were plenty of incidents with the law) so it is more of a subculture, but the mind expansion, open sexuality, new forms of music and communal spirit were there. Embracing technology came to the forefront of the raver movement.

There was a cheeky motto at the beginning of the rave movement that was "Turn on, tune in, go to the office late on Monday."

Subsequently burner culture could be included as well.

14. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

The Hippie 'period' of the '60s may have ended, but in Truth, that is just the way of things
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHvf20Y6eoM"]Turn! Turn! Turn! (to Everything There Is A Season) - YouTube
    However -
    Hippie Children will Nevergrow old -
    For the have within them the Spirit of Youth and Rebellious Soul :)
    .. And the baton is passed for the Youth of today - don't be content with the stagnation and mediocrity of today = You can "Change the World" - just "Don't Stop Believing"

15. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

16. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

Sorry but, IMO, one word.

Altamont. :bigcry:

That is all.

Driftwood Gypsy likes this.
  17. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

No, I disagree. You say that with the benefit of hindsight, but at the time it was only half a year since Woodstock and everyone knew that Woodstock really pointed the way. Altamont was a bummer and it especially unfortunate that the Dead showed such bad judgment in hiring the Hells Angels for security. But it didn't negate Woodstock.

18. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

All good points, about all I could add to support that view is...

Can you name one thing as good as or better that Woodstock, that took place after Altamont?

I can't but maybe you can?

Nor is any of that meant to be a bummer or pine-ing for the old days... (which I was too young to remember Woodstock) simply , yes, my view in hindsight. From that perspective, I "feel" that Altamont was analogous to Hunter Thompsons "great wave that finally broke and rolled back".

19. deleted

deleted Visitor

Jerry died..

Driftwood Gypsy likes this.
  20. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

As I said, Altamont was one of the reasons hippies became disillusioned but not the only reason.

As for Woodstock, as great an event as it was, the financial backers lost a fortune on it, so naturally they were reluctant to try anything on a similar scale. And Altamont reinforced that reluctance.