How could you?

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Morning Myst, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Morning Myst

Morning Myst Member

It's something I read on one of myspace groups and I thought I'd share it with you. It brought tears to my eyes.

2. Elle

Elle Senior Member

thank you for sharing.

most animals in shelters end up there because their "family" (not much of a family if you ask me) turns them in because they are moving, or having a baby or somthing else where they deem their dog no longer valuable to them and just disposable. on sunday i am heading out to GA to pick up my new family member - a yorkie/dachshund mix - from a great rescue organization near Atlanta. He is five years old and had been with his "parents" his entire life untill the wife got pregnant and then decided she didnt want him around any more. he is not aggressive in the least! his foster mom says he is the sweetest dog, always wanting to be in your lap, and that he is so confused and just cries and cries. it breaks my heart to think how confused he will be after i bring him to my home. that's three homes in one month! he will be with me for the rest of his natural life. i mean, if you adopt a dog you need to plan for the future and consider what will happen if you ever DO have children or if you ever move! and if you dont think you can swing it then dont adopt. i am planning on moving soon and am having a hard time finding a suitable place for myself and THREE dogs. but i will not move untill i find a good place for me and THEM.

3. busmama

busmama go away

Absolutely! It really hurts me when people give me the excuse, well the new place won't take animals, jeez if they wouldn't take kids these people wouldn't think of giving away thier kids.When we were looking for a place to rent in TN we told the rental lady that it needed to be a place that accepted dogs. After she gave us the few properties that would, she printed out the rest saying we "might change our mind after we seen the places". I was appalled, I noticed she didn't give us any info on places that didn't want kids! An animal is a comitment for its life.

4. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

That made me tear up. :(

5. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

(tears welling up)

Thank you. As someone who only has room for guinea pigs, and sees daily how many are put down due to needless abandon, thank you.
    love,
    mom

6. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

Yeah, I've had this argument with my own parents many times. Every time we've started looking for a new place, they start in with saying "well, it would be so much easier if you didn't have all your animals". and "If you can't find a place soon that'll take your pets, you might have to get rid of them". They can't seem to understand for some reason, that that's not even an option for me! I would rather live in a van with our animals (and have many times) than in a mansion without them. In our little family we always say "Home is where the dog is." I love my animals, and will do anything I can to ensure that they're happy.

7. Brand New Soul

Brand New Soul Senior Member

:( That makes me sooo sad. I mean I don't think I could give my babies (dogs) up to an animal shelter ever. I ahd to give my cat away. But we gave it to this lady who owns a farm and has like 20 cats. I couldn't imagine one of my poor dogs being put to sleep or with another family. :( Thanks for sharing though...:)

8. opium_eyes

opium_eyes Une Canadien Errant

My dad is saying the same thing. He does want to find a house, but we still rent and sometimes landlords don't want animals. He actually went to far as to point out that i could easily get about 700 dollars for ym ferrets since they've been descented, fixed and had all of their shots - plus their cage. I was so disgusted. I told him if he decided to mvoe someplace without animals I wouldn't go. I started getting all of my animals years ago because he was never home and I was lonely. I share more with ym animals then i do my people family. The only way i could ever give them up would be if i knew i could no longer care for them the way they deserve to be cared for. It would have to be what's best for them.
    Luckily the majority of my animals are kept in cages, so that's a little better. But i'm not leaving my kitty either. he may be a pain in the ass, but he's family.
    I would't leave my little brother behind, I won't leave them behind.

9. yarrow_sun

yarrow_sun Member

it is really sad. petfinder.com is full of discarded pets.

on the flip side though, I have tried to adopt through the local humane society and another organization in the area and was refused because I dont have a fenced in yard. So, I had to buy dogs. (They are inside dogs).

10. Elle

Elle Senior Member

there are many places that require a fenced yard for adoptions but there are more places that do not. with all the shelters and organizations in america it is never necessary to buy a dog from breeder or petstore. even the classifieds on petfinder is full of people trying to give away their animals because they are moving or something.

11. lizziet84

lizziet84 Member

that was so sad! i forwarded the how could you? storry to a few friends and they cried too so i am not the only one that did and i am glad of that. I think there is no need to kill perfectly healthy animals but i know that is a reallity in some countries. I live in the uk, and they don't put animalss down here they will try and find good homes for all of them if they can, if peple don't want puppies/kittens then they should get there animals nutered its the best thing to do for the animals as it's not fair for them to be intact as it causes problums and unplanned or unwanted babies as a result of them not being nutered. It's not too expensive to have dun and it doesn't hurt them too mutch, I urge ppeple who get a kitten or a puppy to get them nutered as soon as they are ready for it unless you are going to breed then by all means leve them as they are.

12. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

I recently discussed with my Vet the best way to introduce my cat to the coming new Baby. I am sure you have all heard how sometimes there can be problems when the 2 meet. My family thought it was "typical Regan", meaning silly and stupid... but it made me feel a lot better. I was worried as my cat has been my only "child" in many ways for many years, and I don't want him to feel like he is being replaced in my heart or in my life. My family doesn't understand why, if there was a problem, I wouldn't just take him to the local shelter... but my family never understands... hahaa.