how come people talk different when they're a kid?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Death, May 29, 2013.

1. Death

Death Grim Reaper Lifetime Supporter

the best example i can give is when they whine and they put that extra syllable on words, mostly "nnnooooooowwwuuuuuuhhhhhhhh"

2. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Adults just shorten the whine. :)

I would like to say it is just a phase but then I meet adults who have not outgrown it. ;)

3. Death

i know adults that do the whole eye-roll/lung collapse/breath release/shoulder drop thing

4. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

All joking aside, I think that many children grow into a pattern of doing this as until they reach the whine stage many adults simply ignore them and what they are saying.

It is a normal stage in learning communication as a child to enunciate in longer patterns. I think it tends to carry on as communication when older as it gets results where normal speech does not.

It also may be in part due to parents who "baby" talk to their children. Rather than reinforcing correct patterns and words they start to use the same words as the child.

5. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

And down here in the south, aside from many parents doing that (ridiculous) baby-talk thing with their children...it continues into adulthood because they simply emulate their parents.

There was NO "baby-talk" to me as a child, nor to my son when he was a baby or child.

6. deleted

deleted Visitor

its not a choo choo train. its a locomotive.. :2thumbsup:

7. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

There are people down here that wouldn't even know how to look up locomotive in the dictionary. :D

What can I say? As a majority, unfortunately SCians are stupid...they (not me) voted Mark Sanford back into a serious political position for the state. :p

8. Death

that's an interesting theory..

may have some truth in it

9. Lodog

Lodog ¿

Ever hear your voice on a video or recording? I heard myself doing the nooooah and it surprised the hell out of me because it sounded annoying and I didn't think I did that. huh.

10. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

lol I hate hearing my own voice in recordings. I wont listen to myself on the answering machine. and I don't whine like that but I sound more high pitch maybe...? then I sound to myself.

anyways..the whining kids...yea I know what you mean. whining...annoying.

why do some kids talk like...baby bay-wah on sesame street and others don't, I wonder...

11. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Speech areas which are mostly found in the frontal lobe of the brain are not fully developed in children.

12. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It's not only children. What about those hypnotic, air-attack vocalizations that some preachers do?
    ..."anduh youwah knowah the lordah is watching youwah!"

13. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Took me about 4 years to get out of saying basghetti for spaghetti

Bloody italians, why couldnt they just call them noodles

14. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

LOL! My little brother used to say that, too! And 'beckrest' for 'breakfast' :p

15. NightRose

NightRose idiosynractic rose

My sister used to do that one all the time as a kid! So do the two I babysit. Trying to get their point across? We'll do it time to time still in front of our mum, just to be irritating. Because we're little shits like that.

16. Death

somehow when an adult does it they appear ridiculous

17. Lodog

Lodog ¿

This is true Death.

Another thing is despite me or Carolyn not having a Kentucky accent my son is starting to pick one up. I hate it.

18. Death

yea that's inevitable..

I just learned that this 40 something year old buddy of mine who sounds like a hispanic immigrant was born and raised here. he knows spanish as a second language but his accent sounds so genuine. I guess it's all in how you're raised.