How Come All The "hippies" Are Wearing Make-up?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by WoodstockChild, Jun 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodstockChild

WoodstockChild Intrepid Traveler!

I thought this was Hippyland! First I'll state my thoughts on make-up. I think it's wrong, I mean, why can't people be beautiful the way they are? They were born beautiful. Why do they need make-up? Does it really make you up? What happened to "beauty comes from the inside"? Seriously. What's up with all the people claiming to be hippies, yet they're wearing so much make-up they look plastic? I thought hippies believed that beauty is internal. Do you really want to look like Britney Spears? I thought hippies were supposed to go against popular belief, especially the one that what you look like is important. What's important is your spirit, yor heart, and the kind of person you are. I'm very disappointed in the other young hippies for weaing a mask. Remember Woodstock? The hippies ran around naked because, based on interviews in the Woodstock movie, they felt that they were beautiful the way they were. That was then, this is now, and I'm not asking people to do that. You'd most likely get arrested. All I'm saying is, that the quote "hippies" look just like any stereotype I'd see in the High School hallway. I wish people wanted to be different, refuse standards, and stand out. I can't act for other people, and if they're happy that way then so be it. This is just my opinion.

2. Elle

Elle Senior Member

maybe people wear makeup because they like it. and because they don't care to conform to your standards of what a "hippie" should be.

3. Chris_mate

Chris_mate Member

In my opinion to be an open minded Hippie is to do what makes you happy, I think that your mentality beeing negative about make up is not very hippie like !!

4. mellow

mellow Eased

labels...always with the labels.

Just be YOU, enough of this bullshit.

5. indian~summer

indian~summer yo ho & a bottle of yum

^i agree with all of that

6. MoonjavaSeed

MoonjavaSeed Yeah, Toast!

makeup only enhances your natural features. it hides nothing except a zit and occasionally your eyes if you go for the mimi bobeck effect.

find a hobby.

7. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Whine less?--If y'all want to do something about it, you can wipe it off of their faces yourselves. Just because you watch a movie doesn't mean you know what they're really thinking.

8. sitareric

sitareric Banned

Yeah do waht makes you happy

9. MarijuanaPhysicist

MarijuanaPhysicist Member

if someone wants to wear make up, its fine w/ me, if someone wants to have tattoos its cool too. its there life, let them enjoy it. they only live once.

10. WoodstockChild

Did you even read my post? You people are so narrow-minded. I have an opinion, and a very worthwhile one.

11. WoodstockChild

Who were the hippies? They were a group of people out of history. Look it up. Britney Spears is not a hippie. John Lennon was. Research the philosphy and you can potentially see where I'm coming from.

12. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

I will also state my views first: Being a hippie is a completely internal thing. I think I can be emo, or punk, or goth, or a redneck, or a prep, or a metal head, or conform to no label at all and still be a hippie. All that is required of being a hippie is giveing others the freedom to do what they want as long as they aren't hurting anything, and also allowing yourself the freedom to do what you think is right, and not hurt anyone else.

To say that one shouldn't wear make-up because they are beautiful the way they are and that doing anything to change that is wrong is basically saying, or could at leaast be interpretted as saying: One shouldn't ever shave (from puberty to death), get a haircut or comb their hair (I mean EVER, from birth to death not simply having long hair), bathe/shower, get a tattoo or peircing, or anything like that because it is altering a natural process.

Hippies in the 60's wore make-up, too! Obviously not all of them but some did! Just like some guys did get their hair cut! Actually, I have seen the woodstock movie MANY times and can testify that if you look at one of the ladies who is skinny dipping (The one who is terrified of the camera) she is actually wear A LOT of make up! Really thick eyeliner and such.

If you don't like the concept of make-up, don't wear it! But to tell someone they shouldn't wear it isn't differant than the media telling people they should. Allow people the freedom that the people here are allowing you.

13. WoodstockChild

Why are you acting like I'm forcing people not to wear it? Just because it's my opinion doesn't mean it has to be yours. I follow the real hippies, the original ones and how they lived, the people commonly known as hippies, the ones who attended Woodstock and started the revolution in the first place. If a quote "prep" is a hippie, then I'm in the wrong place.

So Britnety Spears is potentially a hippie?
    George W. Bush is a hippie?
    Madonna, who wrote a song called "Material Girl", is a hippie?

14. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

I also want to mention that you are a very idealistic and smart girl. I have a high respect for you and your opinions, and you have expressed several I agree with in other posts. However, this issue I do not agree with your particular stance on. I DO agree that one doesn't NEED make-up to be beautiful, but if someone wants to wear it, I think there should be complete liberty either way. Just because someone wears make-up doesn't mean they are saying that they think everyone eneds to or they are ugly, not by any means. It simply means they had a choice that day: Wear make up or not. They chose to. Their choice. You choose not to, your choice. Both are equally acceptible and nothing wrong with either one.

15. indian~summer

no one is saying you can't have your own opinion, just no one wants to hear it :D

16. WoodstockChild

IndianSummer, that was rude. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Thank you. Maybe it's High School. I'm a little tired of seeing people looking plastic and all having the exact same haircut and the exact same purse and the exact same everything. High School is like that a lot. I want to see people who are more focused on what's inside.

17. Green

Green Iconoclastic

Everyone in today's society is atleast mildly ill with obsession over their looks; however, some people are extremely obsessed with their looks.

Telling people not to wear make up or having them not wear make up wouldn't do anything. They still desire to have others like them and believe it or not most (probably the vast majority of people) judge you to some extent by your looks.

18. WoodstockChild

Yes, it's that almost demonic look-obsession i.e. bringing professional hair-care machines to school with you... uggh.

Who are they trying to please? Their way of life is strange to me, like, are they really as shallow as they lead on? I hope they mature in time and realize what really matters. I'm a little beyond my years in some matters, not that it's bad or anything, but it causes problems with other kids. I argue with people a lot, and it feels like talking to a brick wall.

19. indian~summer

it was a joke honey
    just take things easy
    people will do what they want to do
    you just gotta do what you want to do

20. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

You opinion was basically, hippies shouldn't wear make up... Period... Point blank. No room for disagreements there. No differant to me than what the hippies were rebelling against, eh?

You keep mentioning woodstock and real hippies, but keep in mind there were people back then into it for nothing more than the music, the drugs, or the fact that is was a popular thing to do. I wander how many of the people at Woodstock grew up and became republicans? How many now drive hummers? How many actualy stayed hippies to the current day? There is no "real hippie", because there is no perfect example of a hippie. There is no book written, and no set of laws or rules or preresiquets. There are hippies, there are people who are not hippies. However, everyone has their own deffinition of "hippie". To many it is any liberal, to some enviromentalists, or someone who listens to "hippie music" to another someone who does drugs, to another something totally differant than all those. But I think any hippie can agree, the ideals is truly what serparates the hippies from everyone else.

So my point is that: I care about the enviroment. I am a pacifist. I beleive in accepting others. I am a memeber of the Green Party. I beleive in spirituality. I think that qualifies me to be a hippie, in my ideals.
    However, I dress emo. I listen to emo music (along with almosy every other type mind you-except for country and hip-hop/rap-. Hippie music included.)

I think that this is not the wrong place if you want to talk to open minded people, expand your own mind, and hear others out. I think this is the wrong place if you are convinced your deffinition of what is "right and true" and your deffinition of "hippie" is the only one that is true, or the only one worth hearing. As much as you love John Lennon, he and you would differ greately on many subjects. This doesn't make either of you any more or less hippie. However, how you accept the opposing views does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.