How can we stop Koreans killing and torturing dogs and cats?

Discussion in 'Protest' started by Natz, May 20, 2007.

1. Share the Warmth

Share the Warmth Member

How can we stop our own country from slaughtering pigs, which are at least as intelligent?

2. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

OK, let me reach deep in my pocket, pop out a quarter of an American dollar and buy you a clue:

I am already a vegetarian. I give a shit about animals. Since 1999 I have operated a no-kill rescue aimed specifically at reptiles and amphibians that covers three states and the District of Columbia. I take animals that no human has a right to possess, nurse them back to health, find them loving homes or maintain them in my home. I have to deal with stupid parents who give their stupid children pets that will likely grow to 7 meters or more, will eventually eat the stupid peoples' cat or dog. I spend my money on medications and veterinary bills. I have to hold some of these animals as they die because they are too far gone from malnutrition and metabolic diseases or thermal burns to live any longer and I refuse to euthanize. I spent 7 years in Korea and know that dog and snake are very rarely served anymore, and only then out in the farming communities. Never in the cities. And they absolutely do not eat cats. In 7 years the only cats I ever even saw were keeping the rats and mice out of the grain in farm stores. I respect Korean culture and know that dogmeat (known in the Korean language as Kaygogi, btw) as a foodstuff is on it's way out. And I know Ingrid Newkirk and know her to be a fraud and her followers to be extremist sycophants. I worked at the same shelter in Washington DC where Ingrid got her start, where people still remember her 30 years later and shake their heads. I would rather help animals that need it and let other people live their lives.

You:
    You spout shit on an internet board about things you quite oviously know abso-fucking-lutely nothing about. You feel the need to insult other cultures just because you don't understand them. You are ignorant.

And that is the nicest possible way I can say it. I'd call you a BITCH the way you called me an ASSHOLE but I have more respect for female dogs.

3. Zoomie

PS- and although I am caucasian, I am the father of two Korean children and I take most offense at you singling out Koreans. Their culture is 1000 years older than your own, so you're not expected to understand, but insulting them and posting lies is expected of the ignorant. I don't have to like it though.

4. brainstew

brainstew Member

I love animals to death and I do not belive in harming or eating ANY animal, however, this is their culture and has been so for a LONG, LONG, LONG, time we, can TRY nad stop the abuses that go on but it is more of less hopeless to change something that is as ingrated as television in the advage American life style.

5. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

Has the OP never seen western slaughterhouse undercover videos? Pigs, hens, sheep, rabbits, cows...dogs, cats...whats the damn difference? We happen to like one more than the other? Come on, its ALL horrific, all wrong, cut it all out, thats what you should be portesting about. Not "Koreans"...

Western countries TORTURE, neglect, and abuse billions of creatures daily. And yes, in the east they kill dogs and no doubt the same kind of abuse happens to their "food"/"fur" animals. Its the same

6. brainstew

brainstew Member

Why is everyone picking on Natz? All she was asking is if there is any way to stop the slaughter of cats and dogs in Korea. She didn't try to single out a country or make any personal attacks and I think the least we can do is treat her with the respect I know she has been trying to uphold during this conversation.

7. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

I respect that she relates to dog/cats, as they are our "pet" animals, and therefore feels the need to fight for them and their rights...What i dont like is the way talking like this makes it seem like the slaughter of pigs, cows, chickens, ducks, whatever is somehow not quite so bad and is ok. Because its not. And even if that wasnt the OPs intention, words like hers cant help but imply that. "Omg man they eat DOGS!??"...see...we eat PIGS here, which is think is DISGUSTING...what im saying is i dont understand how she can pick out 2 animals and forget the others in this post

8. Zoomie

9. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

Precisely i also didnt like the ignorance of the post. I mean it wasnt very well researched. But Natz, its nothing personal...it just annoys me when dogs and cats are seen as being special. Have you ever spent a lot of time with pigs, or cows? Theyre incredible, and deserve respect, too. Maybe you believe this too. In which case you should have stated

10. Zoomie

^^ Agreed.

Let's outlaw pork, beef, poultry and mutton in the Western world first. Put your own country in order before you attack another culture.

11. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

The answer is to lead by example. It's not that we can't ask anyone to change until our country is perfect, but we can at least show that we're heading in the right direction.

12. Share the Warmth

Share the Warmth Member

Leading by example is the way to go. Look at how the rest of the world followed the US with this ridiculous war on drugs.

Now let's take a strong stance of importance issues such as fuel efficiency, pollution, and the energy inefficient and inhumane meat industry and set a good example where it counts.

13. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

Yeah, the world will "follow" you on fuel efficiency ;).

14. anarchypeace

anarchypeace Member

...how about...how can we stop koreans from killing and torturing PEOPLE? that goes for every other country too...

15. Share the Warmth

Share the Warmth Member

Hey just because Europe is ahead of us in fuel efficiency and conservation doesn't mean that's true everywhere.

Right??

16. brainstew

brainstew Member

I undertand what you are saying and I have made that argument a zillion times in speeches for my schools. What I was saying is, I think it would be nice to compare and share thoughts about a subject matter I feel strongly about, not to sit here and read people pointing out the faults of the person who wrote it, I understand that somethings she said didn't sit right with a lot of people but I am more interested in hearing creative ideas as to how we can stop this type of slaughter in out own country and the USA not "she's wrong because.." stuff.

17. Natz

Natz Member

oh i completely agree. i despise people treating them bad as well. look, im sorry for causing offence to anyone by posting this thread. i had just seen a load of pictures of dogs being treated badly in korea and i was really upset and wanted to do something about it. now i see i can't do anything about it which is frustrating but im gonna have to live with that. thank you brainstew for sticking up for me, i think u see where im coing from. ok so it was a moment of ignorance, my only excuse is that i was blinded by anger. and i wasn't so much blaming koreans as a race but the korean industry, just like i hate the veal industry in my country. i can totally respect other peoples cultures and i didn't mean to show disrespect by my post.

zoomie, im sorry. I didn't like how you jumped so rapidly to insult me after i just showed a bit of concern. i'm not very good with my words and at the moment, i am in the midst of discovering the cruelty towards animals all over the world and im finding it hard taking it all in so im bound to get my facts mixed, im not very good at regurgitating information. i appreciate everything you do for animals and i respect ur opinion but you really didn't need to be so harsh after i posted an innocent thread just wondering how i could help some animals. i didn't mean to single out koreans or anything, i only said koreans cos it was in the pictures i had just seen. and no, of course i didn't do my research before, i was hoping i would get it from this thread.

that goes for anyone who posted thinking i was trying to insult koreans. i really wasn't. i was just disgusted at the way they and others cause pain to these animals and yes i know it happens everywhere. i'm jst in this huge place of frustration and i dunno what i can do to help.

verseau_miracle, yes i have seen those videos, its what made me vegetarian but over in the uk it is improving although it still does happen in some places which is sickening.

i think a lot of people on this board un-necessarily tore me apart when all i wanted to do was try and help. i'll admit im wrong for my wording and use of the word "koreans" but i assure u, there was nothing but good will put in to this thread. and yes i will admit my ignorance and for that im sorry.

18. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

Sorry i was so quick to defend the other animals without first praising you in your efforts and concerns about dogs and cats, because i understand totally how angry seeing these things can make you, and maybe it was a rushed post

19. Zoomie

Natz - Forgiven. This is something I've been very passionate about my entire life. A little research goes a long way. So many people are just as quick to jump on the PETA bandwagon. But if you knew the founders, knew that they are little more than attention whores, knew that they practice things that are absolutely counter to what they preach (let alone highly unhealthy for animals). If you knew all of this, as I do, then you'd know to make up your own mind, find your own path, and do the correct thing. The right thing is not always the correct thing. Hold a python so large that it could swallow you whole, trust it, know that it feels pain and the world becomes much, much smaller. Face the fact that you can't change cultures overnight by screaming from a mountaintop, but you can save lives right now with a gentle, loving hand.

Yeah, I know, it's cryptic. Take care of sick animals for a few years while listening to activist drivel and it will come to you.