How can there not be a God ?

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by Purple_Haze, Jan 16, 2005.

1. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

I have found that many of the 'myths' have potential original real events that spawned them. this is only my personal conclusion, though. I do not think that the myth itself is in any way irrational, but many people's interpretations of it are.

2. Hikaru Zero

Hikaru Zero Sylvan Paladin

Riiiight, like there was a 50 foot tall giant who got his ass kicked by a little boy with a rock ... =\

Myeh, believe what you will ... regardless, even if most of them are inspired by real events, they've been so distorted by the sands of time that they've lost virtually all credibility.

3. BlackGuardXIII

Maybe so, but there are still little clues to what was happening. If you read David Rohl's books 'A test of time', & 'Legend', there is a plausible way to correct the Egyptian and Jewish dates so that they are congruent. Tutmoses is mentioned as being a name that translates into DavidMoses, tut...twt...tvt...dvd all these variations are the same name, and sounded the same. So King David might indeed have been a major historical figure. Though I have read that the david who slew Goliath is a different david. I don't remember goliath being 50' tall. I have seen a guy barely 5 feet whoop a guy 6 and a half feet tall, easily three times his size.

4. Small_Brown

Small_Brown Senior Member

Has anyone ever SEEN this "god" character? I'm kind of big on seeing something before I believe in it. I can see the sun, I believe in that, because I know its there. Until I'm walking down the street, and a cloud opens up (or whatever happens) and someone says "I am GOD!!!" I will continue to not believe. No religious scriptures/books can steer me the other way.

5. Hikaru Zero

Haha, I have a little joke for you guys ...

Alright. So there's this guy named John, and he's a devout Christian; goes to church, reads the Bible, and all that jazz. Well, he's been in a bit of financial trouble recently, so in church on Sunday, when everyone prays silently, he asks, "God, I'm in a real pickle ... think you can help me out a little bit? I really need to win the lottery! Amen."

So, the service ends, and John leaves, and a week goes by, and John hasn't won the lottery ... so, on the next Sunday, John prays again, "Dear God, please help me out! I really, really need to win the lottery! I promise that I'll keep going to church until I die, so please, help me! Amen."

Another week goes by, and still no results for poor John. So, the following Sunday, John prays once more, "God, come on, you're starting to disappoint me ... I go to church, I pray, I read the Bible, and I really need help from you right now! I really, REALLY need to win the lottery! It dosen't have to be much, just enough to get me out of debt, and I'll even donate any extra to charity! So please, just do me this one favor, God! Amen."

John thought this did it, so he got up, and walked outside the church. Just as he left the front doors, the sky darkened and clouded over, and a ray of light beamed through, splitting the clouds in two, and a loud, booming voice said, "John ... buy a lottery ticket ..."

=D

6. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

hehe. that's cute. :)

7. willow83

willow83 Member

maybe the universe was never created, maybe god is everything that is in the universe, thus the whole universe and its contents, and slowly it evolved and changed itself like we do with our own character and qualities, perhaps "god" didn't just decide to create things, maybe he (or whatever) is just doing a sort of self-transformation, we are all just little bits of the whole character, we have god in us because everything is god??
    i dunno, just a thought...I definately believe in guardian angels and ghosts so I'm not sure how that would fit into all of that.

8. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Here are two impossible questions
    How can there be no god, didn't something have to create all of this?
    How can there be a god, what would have created the god?

9. BlackGuardXIII

There was a little old lady who was very spiritual who would step out on her porch every day, raise her arms to the sky and yell, "Praise the Lord."
    One day, an atheist bought the house next door to her, and he became very irritated with the spiritual lady. So after a month or so of her yelling, "Praise the Lord" from her porch, he went outside on his porch and yelled back, "There is no Lord."
    Yet, the little old lady continued.
    One cold, wintry day, when the little old lady couldn't get to the store, she went out on her porch, raised her hands up to the sky and said, "Help me Lord, I have no more money, it's cold, and I have no more food."
    The next morning, she went outside, and there were three bags of food on the porch, enough to last her a week. "Praise the Lord," she yelled.
    The Atheist stepped out from the bushes and said, "There is no Lord hahaha, I bought those groceries!"

The little old lady raised her arms to the sky and said, "Praise the Lord, you sent me groceries and you made the Devil pay for them!"

10. Cerberus

Cerberus Member

Well it is possible that before the Big Bang there was no time or dimensions(time being the 4th I beleive), that it was created when the Big Bang occured. So asking where the singularity that caused it came from is like asking where God came from, it was always there.

Because we don't understand something doesn't mean it has to have been created by God. If someone from many centuries ago saw the technology we have today they would have thought it all an act of God.

11. Occam

Occam Old bag of dreams

Cerberus

Exactly

What fool says that the BIGBANG was THE BEGINNING OF EVERYTHING.

To occam. It was a 'state change in reality'
    A small part of reality at that.

Occam

12. BlackGuardXIII

If the state of the known universe prior to the bang was a one dimensional singularity, then the verse John 1:1 in the bible is an apt description. I have heard that the identical words are to be found in the Vedas, though that is only hearsay.

Anything before that is not worth pondering, imho, since it is very likely beyond hope of learning the details.
    It is akin to the contemplation of whether or not time exists when hydrogen freezes solid. If the lightest element stops moving, then whether it is a nanosecond or a millenia would not matter, would it?

I propose that time is an illusion, and the time from the big bang to the big end, whether it be entropy, crunch, whatever, is all happening in the present, as that is the only reality. Past and future are concepts, never existing but in our minds.
    imho

13. Occam

Occam Old bag of dreams

Time is Motion.

Reality is the state of Mass/energy/space called the now..
    The state of reality is in constant motion.
    What it WAS,we call the past
    What it may be, we call the future.

The PAST was the now before it changed.
    The Future is the now as it may change to be.

Thus time travel [futurewards] is possible if we can stop motion.
    And this is well described in the novel 'the peace war'
    by Vernor Vinge

Occam

14. mati

mati Member

why is a cause necessary? There is nothing in an effect that supposes a cause. They are distinct and separable perceptions. It is only through custom that we associate the one with the other.

15. dedhead95

dedhead95 The Wizard of Rhythm

The Universe itself grows, like us and other things, in a continuous cycle. Growing and developing in a very natural way.

16. dedhead95

dedhead95 The Wizard of Rhythm

at least thats how I explain it.

17. Kharakov

Kharakov ShadowSpawn

Maybe you worded it wrong, but an effect assumes a cause- it's a language thing. Could you reword your explanation in a way that causes me to understand it?

18. Occam

Occam Old bag of dreams

Mati.

You speak of perceptions that are distinct and seperable..
    What are you talking about...?

They are only seperable because WE HAVE NO INTERVENING DATA

Humans can seperate before after events down to the trillionth of a second..[using our machines made by reason]
    The only reason we cant get 'closer' is lack of technology.

Thus before after MAY BE ONLY A RESULT of our lethargic rate of thought.
    Occam suggest that
    BEFORE AND AFTER are nothing but a product of the 200kmh speed restriction on human neuroelectrical activity.

Reality is SMOOTH.
    YOU..... are 'jerky'

The only before and after occam sees is our subjective perceptual inabillity to keep up with processing reality.

[a thing all gamers know about...The HUMAN VIDEOCARD cant handle
    the frame rate of reality]
    And the frame rate is way beyond what we can see as of the NOW.
    Science sees no 'jumping' from event to event.
    It has never seen reality as 'frames' on a strip of film.

What it sees is.
    CHANGE IS SMOOTH and 100% contiguous down to 100thousand billion alterations per second. And we have hardly even started looking [50 years]

Your distinct and seperable perceptions are nothing but the limmitations of our senses.
    Occam calls the proccessing of reality between any 2 states of the NOW.
    As cause/effect.

Occam

19. Hikaru Zero

More accurately ... the human eye can process a computer screen's frame rate up to about 100 frames per second, possibly a little more.

Two state-of-the-art video cards running in a dual PCI Express configuration, interfacing with gobs of memory and an 800 Mhz front side bus ...

... well that's capable of processing probably about 300 frames per second, even in extremely complex games.

The difference between reality and our perceptions of reality is the same as the difference between the ACTUAL frames per second, and the frames per second that we notice. It is possible to play a game with a fps rate of 30; some can even play the games well as low as 20 fps. But there is a high amount of information that is lost or misinterpreted because of this. And unfortunately, the human mind has no "V-Sync" to smooth out the frames.

More importantly, just as a computer may have its moments of "lag," where it hangs up for a split second and the frame rate drops down low, such is the nature of our brains, where often times we manage to forget what was at the front of our minds, as we were just about to say it, and we experience deja vu and optical illusions, so does the human mind.

http://www.optillusions.com/dp/1-25.htm

NO, THE CIRCLES ARE NOT MOVING. But that is a perfect example of how reality is distorted because of our UNREFINED and IMPERFECT senses which perpetually misinterpret reality.

Thus, while averaging out the "low fps" moments, which our brain does automatically, we are able to approximately estimate "what the hell just happened," but as most gamers' eyes can assure you, that estimation is often times low-quality and sometimes wrong, and can leave you guessing which direction you're facing.

20. BlackGuardXIII

that would be one possible way to explain David Copperfield's feats of magic. I know someone who had a time stop experience once, and it was more a source of concern than a sense of achievement or awe.

Your definition of time is in line with most people's, but mine is different. I now feel that the past and the future are just mental constructs to help us cope with the only reality, the present. To me, the past, the future, and the present are simultaneous, instantaneous, and eternal. I was almost forced into this conclusion since it my best answer to my dilemma of how my own glimpses into my future can possibly happen. Since they have happened, I finally decided I would do well to try to understand how this can be so. Luckily there are others who share my views, or else I would feel very alone.
    Maryanne Williamson is one such person, and I know a few others personally.

It's all good. I know that to most it seems clear that the past happened before, and I don't blame them. I did too, for 39 years. Now I see the past as not existing. It is happening now, and never happened before cuz there is no such thing as before. I realize how insane I sound, but if anyone can offer me a better explanation for precognition, I am all ears.

How can someone prove the past and future exist? You can only say they do.