How Can People Kill Another Human So Easily?

Discussion in 'People' started by Dax, Apr 26, 2020.

1. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

I understand perfectly, for some reason whenever something happens a lot of people seek to either sensationalise a killing, or to make out that the perpetrator was 'born bad' which in my opinion is utter bollocks! It's a bit like dogs, some people say that certain breeds are vicious and highly dangerous, they are not, assuming of course that they are trained and handled correctly, there's not really such a thing as a bad dog, but there are plenty of bad owners, granted certain breeds can be more likely to attack, but it doesn't mean they will do. I used to have a working German Shepherd, that dog was perfectly capable if needed of inflicting a great deal of injury, even death, yet that same dog would quite happily lie on the floor and let my baby daughter crawl all over it without a hint of aggression.

One of the most frequently asked questions is 'what makes a person a killer ?' To answer this I think we have to look at the individual case as each one is different, firstly lets clarify one very important but often misunderstood fact, the difference between serial killers, and mass murderers, sometimes known as 'spree killers'.

A serial killer is defined as a person who has carried out multiple killings over a period of time, sometimes days, more usually weeks, months or even years will pass between each murder, people such as Ted Bundy fall into this category.

Next we have the mass murderer, or spree killer, these people kill numerous people but in one go, people like Micheal Ryan, who was responsible for the Hungerford Massacre fall into this category.
    Sometimes these individuals will offer an 'excuse' as to why they did what they did this, take for example the shooting at Grover Cleveland Elementary School, carried out by a young lady by the name of Brenda Spencer, when asked why she'd done it her reply was 'I don't like Mondays', this gave rise to the famous pop song by the Boomtown Rats! Now we can never be sure as to if this was the real reason she did what she did, or whether it was an attempt to try and create the illusion she was suffering from some kind of mental illness. I can clearly remember at least two individuals who when questioned about their killings stated they were under the influence of the moon at the time, now while it's widely known amongst people who work in law enforcement that the behaviour of people out on the town does appear to be worse at the time of the full moon there's no scientific evidence to support this, in fact one theory of mine is that since full moons tend to occur around about the time people get their monthly paycheck, then perhaps they've simply drunk more alcohol and this leads to an increase in bad behaviour. Personally I believe that a lot of these people commit a killing then attempt to use the 'psychiatric illness defence' .

Serial killers are quite often driven by a totally different urge, while the spree killer may generally be angry about something, there was one man who killed a load of black men because he perceived them as being the cause of his problems, generally as I said, the serial killer usually does it to satisfy a desire, Harold Shipman, the killer GP did it largely for financial gain, as well as to satisfy his desire to control, to have the ultimate power of life and death. Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire Ripper, killed thirteen women over a period of several years and although in his defence he said he'd been 'told' to kill prostitues, the fact that not only were some of his victims not prostitutes, but also the fact that in a lot of cases his victims were not just killed, but also sexually mutilated tends to add more creedence to the theory that the killings were carried out to gain some kind of sexual satisfaction, again this is a theory that I am inclined to agree with.
    Now all of us I'm sure will understand the desire to better ourselves, have a nicer home, a better car, more money, but lets look at the sexual side of things, not everyone will understand that side as it is quite a complicated subject, Let's take a male with sadistic sexual preferrences, now suppose he gets his satisfaction inflicting pain on women. He is unable to gain sexual satisfaction in the 'normal' way, You or I may gain arousal by looking at a woman's body, her figure, her breasts, having her perform a sexual act on us, this is usually enough for most men, however lets take it a step further, suppose we want to degrade a woman, now we can if we look around find women who are more than happy to indulge us in many and varied sex acts, however the fact that she is willing to indulge in what most women would consider abhorrent sex acts does lessen effect somewhat, this is often seen in cases of domestic abuse. Suppose we take a man who likes to beat a woman, there are plenty on the internet who would quite happily be tied up and suffer anything from mild slapping to a severe whipping, all in the name of sex, now that's fine, however wouldn't it be more sexually arousing to beat a woman and know that as she pleads for you to stop, she genuinely means it, or as she recoils in disgust and fear as you urinate over her body that she's doing it not because she's acting but because she genuinely finds it revolting, or to take torturing a female to the ultimate level, where she dies as a result!

The period of repetition between these acts varies with each individual, but it's not uncommon for a killer of this type to commit his first offence and find his desires sated for several months, then he'll kill again, with each killing not only does the frequency of killings become closer together, but also the level of violence inflicted usually increases.
    In these cases I firmly believe that these individuals carry out the acts purely for their own warped gratification, however we also have another type of killer, the 'one time' killer, and these are I find the most interesting cases, lets take a scenario and see how it plays out, it's one I've been in on a number of occasions, but thankfully I've never killed anyone.

I am driving down the road and I stop to make a turn, the weather is good, the roads are dry and it's daylight, my indicator is flashing. Suddenly I am hit in the rear by another motorist, I get out of my car and walk to the rear, the damage is minimal, but naturally I'm still annoyed, that car is my pride and joy. The other driver gets out and begins to appologise, he tells me not to worry, his insurance will take care of everything, he explains that the accident was caused by a bee flying in through his open window and striking him in the face, I take his details, accept his appologies we shake hands and go on our way, no harm done.

Now same scenario, but in this case the care that rear ends me contains two young males in gym clothes, the driver doesn't get out of the car and seems unconcerned, apparently it's all my fault, because although I was stationary the fact I am driving an older car in some way leads him to believe the blame lies with me. I drag him through the open window and hit him several times, the police arrive and although they take no action against me, they inform him in no uncertain terms that the accident is clearly his fault, we swap insurance details and go home. Now while in the second scenario admittedly I did overreact, although in my defence I do feel his poor attitude was enough to provoke me, why didn't I act the same way in the first scenario, after all, logically I could have argued that if he'd kept his window closed the bee wouldn't have got in and therefore no accident would have occurred. Would it have been different if I'd just had an argument with my wife, or it had happened after a bad day at work, I really don't know, one thing however is certain, I firmly believe that people are not born bad, we all make our own choices in life and it is those choices and how we are punished for our wrongdoings that shape our future, if a child is caught stealing sweets and properly punished, he's far less likely to grow up thinking it's fine to burgle houses than a child who is just told not to do it again.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

If you type such an extensive post its adviced to use paragraphs ;) Makes it far more inviting for others to read :)

Running Horse likes this.
  3. Asmodean

I mainly still see a wall of text. But I stand corrected :p

mysticblu21 likes this.
  4. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

Sorry about that, I just get that fixated with what I'm writing.lol ps, altered it a little for you:grinning:

mysticblu21 likes this.
  5. Asmodean

I notice only afterwards too at times ;) Happily there's a temporary option to edit!

mysticblu21 likes this.
  6. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

how long actually is it? because I swear.. sometimes it disappears within the hour.. other times.. I can go to a post from days ago and still edit it..

7. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

No idea, but I just went to one of my posts in a tread from January and I still have an edit option.... dunno.gif

Eric! and Driftrue like this.
  8. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Aaahhhh well done Mystic. That could be what's up : )

mysticblu21 likes this.
  9. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i think the edit is still random. within the last week or so i noticed a typo in a post i made just one day before, and had no option to edit it. but then the following day i saw a post i made in january that still had an edit button.

maybe posts made in january are just able to be edited for all eternity.

Running Horse and mysticblu21 like this.
  10. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Blame the drugs man.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  11. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

For editing posts or for killing people easily?

mysticblu21, Eric! and Running Horse like this.
  12. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

You already know man