How about 8-Track tapes ?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Flashback, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Flashback

Flashback Member

Remember the out-dated technology called 8-tracks that had their heyday in the 70's ? Just talking about it to people who remember it brings a smile and a story from people.How cool is that ?!! I dug out my old 8-Track collection today and had a blast playing them.Some haven't been played in over 25 years!I'm surprised that they still are playable.Anyone else still have and enjoy those fossils?
    ~peace thru music

Dude111 likes this.
  2. jack_helltoy

jack_helltoy Member

I still have a bunch of 8-tracks and an ancient 8-track player/recorder in the basement somewhere.
    Haven't played them or thought about them in years.
    The worst thing about them that i remember was the way a song would fade out part way through *change tracks* then fade back in and finish the song.
    This was at its worst for bands known for long songs like Zeppelin and Floyd.
    I remember a friend having a "quad" stereo with an 8-track deck... "real simulated 4 channel sound" hahaa hah...

wrat and Dude111 like this.
  3. Flashback

Flashback Member

Oh yeah,the dreaded fade out/in from one track to the next.Tracks themselves meant 2 or more songs rather than one "track",or song.And how about the "crosstalk" when another song from another track would bleed over and play between songs or even during the song you were listening to ?! I was playing an 8-track yesterday and it was all garbled until I stuck a matchbook under the cartridge which made it play o.k. somehow. lol

4. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

:) I still have some 8 tracks and have not got rid of them just as they are rather a neat thing to pull out now and again. I have a player that I can hook up to my modern system and every once in a while I still stick them on and laugh a little when the click on to the next track..... :)

I remember when they said that cassettes would never catch on.....too funny. :)

5. mimosa

mimosa Banned

one of my first 8 tracks was a Bob Marley live, still flash on that when I hear No Woman No Cry. and a Saturday Night Live 8 track with the bassmaster episode. and Smuckers Jam. the guy who installed my 8 track in my car was called Buz. gotta love the 70's, and Dan Ackroyd.

Dude111 likes this.
  6. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

I absolutely love my 8 tracks!!!!!

I have a 2 cartridge set called "The original hit performaces of the 30s,40s and 50s" and it is the most goregous sounding collection of 30s-50s music I have ever heard!!

They didnt do anything to these songs..... Most are copied right from the record!! -- So it sounds like your listening to the record. (THEY ALL SOUND LIKE THEY DID THEN WHICH IS FANTASTIC)

Purity is VERY IMPORTANT to me... The world died in the 70s (Well started to die.. The 80s finished it off)

7. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

Still have my 8 tracks and player. Don't think it works anymore though.
    Red Panasonic Dynamite player.

Dude111 likes this.
  8. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

Remember those really nice tape cases? The vinyl covered hard case with handle on top. I found another one in a second hand shop a few years ago. I pulled that plastic divider tray out and use it to store CDs.

9. wrat

wrat Member

10. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Yup and a Pink Floyd song that was mixed together with an awesome guitar solo thats only on the 8track (So they didnt have to split it)