House of Flying Daggers

Discussion in 'Movies' started by antithesis, Jan 27, 2005.

1. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I think I just bought a bootleg DVD of it in San Fransisco. I am excited to watch it though as I love the director. Hero was beautiful, although we in the US got ripped off because the Chinese version is far superior to the version we got. But all his movies are good and so I hope this one lives up to the rest.

2. White Scorpion

White Scorpion 4umotographer

I respect the Chinese for making movies out of their own mythos and history. In Greece, most people resented Ollie Stone's 'Alexander', because of its lack of historical accuracy and its concentration on certain theories, rather than accepted facts. Even though I didn't see the movie and have no intention to, either, I still consider it a compliment that a man of another race would spend millions making a movie about my ancestors. What gets up my nose is that I heard that when the Ministry of Culture was approached by Hollywood and asked to help with the historical refinements, they snubbed them and asked for a ridiculous amount of money. The Chinese make their OWN movies, even though most of their people are comparatively poor. And damn good ones at that. When it comes to making a movie about our greatest hero, we can't be bothered to put our hand in our pocket!

3. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I saw this a couple weeks ago... I liked it.... I'm not a big kung fu fan, but this guy I'm dating is. We watched Hero and I really liked it. They're very artsy and pretty. House of Flying Daggers just fucked with me too much....

4. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

antithesis,

I loved Hero as well as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon :)

The special effects are great.

If your looking for some early quality chinese martial arts I reccommend anything directed and produced by the Shaw Brothers.

h

5. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I'll have to check those out. I absolutely love martial arts. It is what kind of got my boyfriend and I together since it is about the only thing we have in common.

I watched it last night and it was great, although I think I liked Hero better. I also liked that in Hero there was very little blood, while in this one there was quite a bit at the end. But I think I am now going to go watch it in the theatre so that I can see it on the big screen.

6. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

antithesis,

In regard to the Shaw Brothers, Quentin Tarantino shows the SB symbol in the opening credits of the movie Kill Bill Volume 1 & Kill Bill Volume 2 :)

h

7. antithesis

antithesis Hello

Ah, well I've never watched them since I saw like 15 minutes of the first one and it was way to gory for me. I only like to watch martial arts movies with no excessive blood.