hotels or hostel

Discussion in 'Amsterdam' started by Mongerboynyc, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Mongerboynyc

Mongerboynyc Guest

i am really debating whether to pick a hotel or a hostel.

i want that true Amsterdam experience. although i am concerned about my possessions.

2. Aliciao

Aliciao Member

If you are traveling alone, hostel (Flying Pig Downtown!!!!!) may be the best bet. However, if you like having alone time, lots of sleep and need your own space this might not be the best idea.
    I say Flying Pig Downtown:
    Easy to find, lots of people know it incl. taxi drivers
    self-service kitchen, breakfast incl.
    Full bar, happy hour every night
    Dj's Th-Su (If I remember correctly)
    Smoking lounge, terrace and patio
    Basement:Kitchen, breakfast/dining room, chill out nooks and TV lounge

Ok I just read your other post. The question of just winging it. Lots of people ask that. I can't see anything "fun" in walking around Amsterdam with my backpack on (esp. in bad weather) looking for a place to sleep. Just a waste of precious time, extremely tiring and an all around really bad idea IMO. But some people do it. If you are going to wing it try not to wing it on the weekend when even in the off season some of the cheaper spots are booked.

3. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Member

hostels are places to sleep. when i was in London we stayed in a hostel. only stuff of value we had was money, any souvenirs we bought, and our clothes. We had zero problems and met some awesome people.

4. Aliciao

Aliciao Member

Agreed midnight Sun. Not saying that hostels are not for sleeping. Hostels in Amsterdam can be fairly busy especially if one picks a large sized dorm. Someone is always coming in and out. Approx. 4am-8am are the quietest hours unless you have someone in your room who has to catch an early flight or you have people coming in from parties who turn on the light and/or slam the door in the middle of the night.

Earplugs and eyeshades are your friends.

If you stay at one of the Flying Pigs, bring a combination lock for your locker or buy one from the staff at the front desk.

Just sayin' that a lot of Amsterdam hostels are a whole different kind of (party) animal :) I've stayed at the Flying Pig twelve times and it is always "On"

5. Mongerboynyc

Mongerboynyc Guest

To alicao , yes maybe you are right.. Well i wont be going for another six months but when do u think i should book the hostel ? 2 to 3 months in advance ?
    Im thinking about the flying pig. Ive got 2 other buddies with me with some more possibly joining.

6. Aliciao

Aliciao Member

You are going in the low season so booking a month in advance or so is a good idea. I think it is always good to book lodging early.

You shouldn't worry about your possessions at the The Flying Pig since each person is provided with a locker. It is not very large but most can fit a cabin approved sized bag that is not stuffed with items. Bring combination lock and lock up all of your belongings when they are not in use.

The Flying Pig Downtown is great if you are looking for a party and you want to be within close walking distance of most attractions. Short tram ride or walk to Leidseplein.

7. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

durty nellys hostel is a good choice.

8. matty223

matty223 Member

if your going to book the fly pig downtown do it early they fill up fast