horseback riding

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by cynthy160, Jun 1, 2013.

1. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

Horseback riding is unique. I'm not very experienced with it but I've been taking lessons the past year and doing trail riding. Horses have their own personality.

A video of someone who knows how to be respectful of these creatures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwHWIC7USO4"]Horse Riding barefoot, and bridleless, (bitless) - YouTube

2. acuarela

acuarela Member

I haven't done it in many years. Somewhat in my extended family had a mountain house with a bunch of horses and I used to always go riding there, it was a lot of fun.

One of them knocked my brother down and he hurt his back, not permanently, but it kept him in bed for the rest of the holiday weekend.

3. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

I've done bareback and barefoot and bridleless. It's so wild and lovely.

Here's my favourite song about horses "She won't come to me" By Corb Lund :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKjq-xYiHF0"]Challa Horses - YouTube

4. deviate

deviate Senior Member

No way I could ride a horse like that, even with a saddle I always end smashing my balls at some point.

I dated a girl that lived on a 200 acre plot in WV and I helped them break some mustangs. Scary as shit when you are on a mountain and the thing decides it's gonna be wild again, and fucking takes off.

Also growing up one of my friends dad came home with a wild pony from the auction at chincoteague. We broke that one and he was very rideable. But not before I was leading him and he bit me super hard on the shoulder :( I dropped to the ground faster than I ever have to this day.

5. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

6. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the videos. I have always liked horses but only got to ride a few times in high school.

7. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

As a kid and a teenager, I had this bad habit of wondering around (without my parents knowing where I was of course) with my sister and we'd spot horses that were good to attempt to ride bareback. We'd wonder onto people's farms to visit the horses and the people - and then come back when no one was around to ride around the pen bareback.

Pretty dangerous when you htink about it. We didn't know the horses at all. But we never got in trouble.

8. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Breaking horses is such a humane act, so is enslaving a wild creature for the sole purpose of providing personal recreation.

9. Frieden

Frieden Senior Member

I have been riding since I was 6. Horses have been a passion/obsession of mine since then. I can't wait to get my daughter a pony.

10. deviate

deviate Senior Member

:rolleyes:

Do you have any pets? Eat meat? I'd say chances are - yes.

11. EL Tuna

EL Tuna Member

Ill take my dirt bike or quad any day over a horse. Too slow and a waste of time. We have a few at our farm, But they have nothing on horse power vs 1 horse.

One of ours is a national quarter horse champion when she showed him and if he didn't win his sister did. Another horse we had that passed from old age, Was the granddaughter of the triple crown winner man O' war. She could do it all and then some, Race, Jump etc and with a small pony stature.

12. Frieden

Frieden Senior Member

In what event did your horse win? The AQHA has many different shows and many different events. Man O War sired hundreds of named foals, and probably more than a few un-named/non registered foals. There are thousands of Man O War pedigreed horses.

13. EL Tuna

EL Tuna Member

Futurity (sp?) Im not sure. That's her thing, I like HP. All I know is we have boxes of trophies he/they have won over the years.

Yeah, He did sire thousands, But she was a full blood line named and registered. She wasn't a cum in a cup and saved for years and then boom a relative, She was the real deal.

14. EL Tuna

EL Tuna Member

Cant find the link, But the dad to our QH is 'Nothing but power'. Ill do some searching and find the link with his sib's and parents.

15. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

My sister owned horses when the kids were all small. They loved to ride and did so all the time.

I have a bit of healthy fear and respect for horses and I had to be really careful to not make them aware of it as it could have made them wary of the horses. I also worked on not letting the horses know.

Once they all grew up they did not spend time with them anymore so she sold them to someone with younger children. She still goes and to see them once in awhile and they seem happy enough.

16. Frieden

Frieden Senior Member

A futurnity is just aimed at young horses, it's not an event/discipline. But that's cool. I never really got into breed shows, but I had a horse with a few points once upon a time.

17. Frieden

Frieden Senior Member

I couldn't find Nothing but power on all breed pedigree. I use to have a thing for deciphering Quarter horses' breeding as a younger girl. I like my Quarter horses pretty cowy, with a little bit of running breed in them, similar to Man O War. My favorite line is probably Pacific Bailey.

18. EL Tuna

EL Tuna Member

Our quarter is 1400# and 16.5 hands. He was bought out of Missouri and when we got him he was on all types of vitamins and creotein (sp?). We had to order a special built jamco aluminum trailer hes so big. But we took him off all that crap and hes still a monster. I can mount him, But im also 6'4, Most have to use a bucket unless a true 'rider'.

His name is not the name on the documents, I have no idea why one would change it but she did. But he was bought for mainly riding and very little show.
    He cant run fast, But can keep the pace as he actually likes loud bikes/quads and runs along side of me a lot. Hes just a chill horse that gets picky lol.

19. deviate

deviate Senior Member

This reminds me of people talking about their pits bloodline, and it's actually some timid pussy. I don't mean fighting I don't advocate that by any means. But in the sense of a working dog.

Same thing with horses. The best horses are the ones you can take anywhere, on the beach in the mountains, trails. And just crack that bitch open like a built up car after it's already worn out but it just keeps going. Take it on all kinds of technical uneven trails, it might get spooked and try to throw your ass off. Fuck a quarter horse.

20. Frieden

Frieden Senior Member

16.4 is an incorrect measurement. Hands only go up by .3. 16.4 hands equals 17 hands. Usually for running bred horses, which it sounds like your horse is, they're usually tall and lean. Often times, it's hard to keep weight on these horses. Maybe he was on supplements to keep his weight up?