honey

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Fractual_, May 16, 2004.

1. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

do you ever get a feeling of inferiority when someone calls you something like honey or sweety?

2. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

Yes, although I can't remember a time when it's happened, I know i've experienced it. I see it a lot on forums when someone is trying to put someone else down, or when someone is convinced they are right. "Sorry sweetie, but you just don't know what you're talking about...."

3. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

Yes! Well, I guess it depends. If it's friends or family, then no. But if it's someone I don't know, or a co-worker, then yes.

4. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

yeah, it isnt always their intention.

5. Althea

Althea Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

It all depends on who said it and in what context it was said. If my grandma calls me honey, or Angel calls me sweetie etc. that's endearing. If it's said in a condescending way I get pissed. Last Sat. night I got pissed off when a guy called me honey. My hubbie and I stopped off at a White Castle after his gig (it was almost 4am) and when I went to use the bathroom there was someone already in there and a guy was in there havin' an arguement with her while holdin' the door open a bit. She obviously wasn't goin' to the bathroom so I knocked on the door and asked if they'd kindly take their conversation outta the john 'cause I had to go! They apologized (both of 'em were more than a little drunk). THEN when I finally got my chance to pee I realized there was no toilet paper so I flew outta the bathroom plannin' on goin' into the mens to grab some. The idiot who I spoke with earlier was just steppin' out and I asked him if there was any toilet paper in the men's john. He said "No honey, you don't want to go in there" with a smirk on his smart-ass face. Well in the first place I didn't give a fuck what it looked like in there and the fact that he didn't do the nice thing and grab me some and THEN called me honey on top of it flammed me. I just looked at him like he was a moron, marched in and grabbed some.

6. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

you go girl!

7. Althea

Althea Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

*LOL* Ya know, I think that's the first time I've showed that side of myself on here ;)

8. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

good work :).
    but yeah, randoms calling you names like that are the worst. there's this bar we usually go to on a wednesday - the bar manager insits on calling all the girls 'babe' 'honey' 'doll' or things like that...maybe he's just trying to be friendly, but it's a little too much too soon, y'know.

9. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

ive noticed here in the uk people tend to call people 'honey' to sound hip.
    where as when i had an American b/f he once said to me on the phone in one of his tones 'ive told you honey the keys are on the table'
    i really like honey and sweetie as terms of endearments and will use them for both men and women, not to put poeple down but sometimes to sound friendly in a world that quite often isn't.
    i also feel that people have the right to be called what they want, and this includes not having their names shortened, for instance i hate it when people call me 'sam'
    so if someone said don't call me honey i would respect that and try not to use any other terms of endearments ethier.

s

10. The_Mad_Buster

The_Mad_Buster Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Has anyone said that to me, but considering im the posterboy for satan I can understand why not.

11. Dissident

Dissident Member

Yes I do

and I tell them to not call me that. I find it annoying as well.

12. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Why is that, sweety?

Someone had to make this lame non-joke. This time it is me, but next time it may as well be you.

13. Talk Show Host

Talk Show Host Senior Member

Fuck, you know what? If I could go through my whole life from this point on and have everyone call me honey, I think I might die a little happier.

14. TheChaosFactor

TheChaosFactor Senior Member

For a moment, I forgot how gay this kid was..........

15. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

I've noticed in UK everyone calls you either honey or dear. First I thought it was kinda weird but now I'm used to it and think it's kinda nice. It doesn't make me feel inferior unless the person who calls me that means it that way.

16. lynsey

lynsey Banned

yes, it rubs me the wrong way usually.

17. Dissident

Dissident Member

youre such a lame-o, birdy

I dont like it. Thats it really.

And if people do call me that

I say

Look, do me a favour, and dont be calling me honey/sweety. Thanks!

18. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

How should I call you then?

19. Dissident

Dissident Member

Call me Dissident

20. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Pissypants it is.