Homemade Oil Hair Treatment

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by lovelyxmalia, Oct 28, 2007.

1. lovelyxmalia

lovelyxmalia Banana Hammock Lifetime Supporter

I don't know if anyone has already posted this...but I've been doing this for a few months now and it's been working wonders!

Take a shot glass and mix 1/2 regular hair conditioner, 1/2 Extra Virgin Olive Oil (it HAS TO BE extra virgin or else it'll leave your hair mucky).

Put it in the shower with you along with a hair clip or shower cap.

After shampooing, run the oil treatment through the ends of your hair (from about half way of the scalp down). Don't get it in the roots, it'll leave hair greasy even if you don't have greasy hair. Leave it in your hair from 5-30 minutes depending on how damaged your hair is or how many different products you use.

I do 30 minutes every time, about once a month. The oil treatment has the nutrients your hair needs to detox itself and make it stronger. Especially now that it's getting colder out, your hair isn't getting the nutrients it needs. I've been doing it for a few months now and it's worked wonders to the feeling and strength of my hair.

If you notice that your hair kind of smells when you rinse it, give it another run through with just conditioner. I don't suggest doing this when you are about to go out as it can be a messy project.

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

why would winter/ cold keep hair from getting nutrients?
    Hair is nourished ONLY in the growing stage. everything else is prolonging the hairs' life span.
    What we see in dead cells. Which is why you cannot "repair" splits.

3. lovelyxmalia

lovelyxmalia Banana Hammock Lifetime Supporter

Well, from what my hairdresser told me, the sun in the summer dries your hair out...it's not like the hot oil necessarily repairs split ends or anything, but it cleanses the hair of toxins that are left in and it creates stronger follicles.

4. drumminmama

never trust a stylist. they are taught pure propaganda.
    But, the oil/condish mix works, as does condish with pure aloe vera gel.

5. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

Good tip. I frequently do something similar, but I do it on dry hair before shampooing, and I leave it on for hours. Nonetheless, I agree--they really make a big difference. My hair is a lot silkier and more manageable. I disagree about only using extra virgin olive oil though. I've gotten the same results from regular olive oil, the only difference was the price. In fact, I've even gotten good results from corn oil.

6. drumminmama

"cleanses the hair of toxins."

ugghh. As I said, what we see is DEAD cells. there is no cleansing toxins from hair that will do the strands any good. we wash for aesthetic reasons and to keep the follicles from blocking.
    Please, get away from stylist propaganda and learn some real hair science.