Homemade Christmas Gifts

Discussion in 'Holiday Crafts' started by MysteriousNight, Dec 4, 2008.

1. MysteriousNight

MysteriousNight Member

What are your ideas for homemade Christmas gifts?

2. livefast52

livefast52 Member

I just got done makin glass block xmas ornaments, like this... I didn't make this one but you get the idea

3. lilbear

lilbear Don't prick a raw paw!

I like making cookies,& candy for a certain few...mostly for work buddies.

4. livefast52

livefast52 Member

I've also been making spoon rings for people

5. sublimeinal056

sublimeinal056 Member

What is a spoon ring?

6. livefast52

livefast52 Member

It's a ring made out of a spoon handle lol. You'll hafta google it cause I don't know how to explain it well

7. knitphomaniac

knitphomaniac Banned

I started back in July knitting for everyone - everyone on my xmas list is getting a handknit scarf, hat, or fingerless gloves, along with a storebought gift.

8. ShanaBanana

ShanaBanana Member

my husband and I are making gift baskets for Christmas. Homemade candles, homemade bath salts, homemade candy, hand painted christmas signs...and whatever else we decide to drop in there.

9. celtgrrl

celtgrrl batty woman

i'm planning on making tie-dye tshirts for my neices and nephews....bunch of lil hippies running around hahaha

10. fuzzygreen

fuzzygreen Member

One present that I made a few years ago that got rave reviews from a lot of people were heated pillows. This also happened to be the simplest present I ever made, too - go figure. :OP

I took some pretty cotton fabric, sewed it into little bags, filled them with uncooked rice and several fragrant spices (cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, etc.), and sewed them closed. If you heat these up in a microwave (I don't like microwaves myself, but most of my friends and family use them) it smells really nice, and the rice retains heat for quite a while - perfect for putting in your bed on a chilly winter night, or putting on a sore spot (my dad has some back problems, and loved putting these under painful places on his back).

11. Mother's Love

Mother's Love Generalist

i like ornaments, last year i did embroidered felt elf stocking ornaments. sometimes bigger crafts, but my dad used to do lots of fudge and cookies. he made white chocolate macadamia fudge, mmmmm. he used different flavored chocolate chips, and we had lemon, cherry, butterscotch, it was awesome.

12. SamanthaHazelEyes

SamanthaHazelEyes Member

I like to paint a portrait of the person, and give it to them. Or I paint wooden spoons or jewelry boxes with psychedelic whimsy. :)

13. ica

ica Member

i made something just like this but to be used as a pot mat- to be put on the table and then putting the hot serving dish on top :)

14. Delfynasa

Delfynasa Member

Everyone is getting homemade this year 'cause I am so low on cash. I have lots of craft kits(some in progress) and picked up some for 25c at the Salvation Army so I can make this stuff up for people..
    hemp jewellry
    crochetted afghan
    little plastic canvas needlepoint boxes
    in Christmas designs to put little gifts
    in like embroidered wall decorations and
    fridge magnets
    crewel embroidery samplars
    counted cross stitch samplars
    and if I can get to them needlepoint pillows!
    peace
    Delfynasa

15. sweet0914

sweet0914 Guest

For my friends I made them cookies .. it's always on their wish list. I also crocheted a scraft for my mom in law. Then I made some cell phone or Ipod holders for some of my neices. Then for my chruch family I made then a set of recipe cards. For my sister in laws I gave them a free copy of my cookbook.
    Just hoping that everyone loves their gifts.
    Last year hubby's family throw away the gift I spent 2 days making. :(

16. Delfynasa

Delfynasa Member

wow! that really sucks, Sweet! People can be really cold sometimes!
    hugs!
    bb
    Delfynasa

17. Bassline514

Bassline514 Member

That's harsh sweet0914, I'm sorry to hear that! :(

This year I make my parents gift myself (in part). They live in a small town and hardly have access to many mediterranean goods, so I'm making a gift basket with some products I bought (olive oil, vine leaves, cans of hummus, tahini, spices, etc.), a jar of pickled garlic and another one of pickled black olives with lemon that I both made myself, home-made date cookies and turkish coffee with 2 cute mugs. I think they'll like it.

18. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I made flannel pj pants for the mister, hoodie towels for my kids, and 2 retro aprons for my mom (I copied an apron that belonged to her mother)

19. budgirl

budgirl Member

Materials:
    Large glass cutting board
    Pillow (same size or slightly larger than the cutting board, or make your own!)
    Glue sticks
    2 small round drawer pulls
    Glue gun, scissors

How to:
    1.With the hot glue gun, glue bottom of cutting board to one side of the pillow. Work in small sections, as the glue dries quickly.
    2.Glue drawer pulls to the top left corner of the cutting board et voila, you have a pen rest!

Now a handy lap desk to use to do some work while lounging on the couch!

Cheers
    BG :xmastree:

20. MunaJadida

MunaJadida Member

It's July and I'm already working on Christmas. I want to crochet all the gifts this year and I have a big family. Here's what I have planned:

FIL: Scarf (already done)
    MIL: Jacket (started)
    BIL: Mario granny square afghan
    Mom: Cherub lapghan
    Dad: Stuffed Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch (Monty Python)
    Sister: Dressy shrug

The rest I will figure out later. There are about ten more people after that. I need to get crackin'!