Homeless hippie tent living in south florida

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Doobieismyname, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Doobieismyname

Doobieismyname Member

Well, I'm at that point in my life. Pretty much everything has fallen apart and im about to be homeless but I still have my dog I gotta take care of. I currently live in atlanta but Im not trying to freeze this winter in the streets so my destination is south florida. I've got a little bit of money saved up and have a slim chance at finding a place with low rent I could a room out of but more likely than not I will have to just buy a big ass tent and pitch it somewhere safe. I've been hearing a lot of talk about the keys being somewhat of a "hippie haven". If thats true then that is the place for me, I just want to surround myself with positive, like-minded individuals who share the same values. I havent seemed to be meeting the right kinda people in georgia and have ran into a great deal of trouble. It seems most everyone up here has hidden intentions. I just want to get my shit together and live in peace with other hippies! Anybody have any suggestions or advice? All with be taken and appreciated!

2. slappysquirrel

slappysquirrel Senior Member

in the keys if they catch you camping out they will throw you in jail for 30 days!!
    but i heard its cool there who knows. i wanna go so bad. personally i've never been to south florida but i hear its real nuts.

3. Doobieismyname

Doobieismyname Member

What?? What you just told me is nuts, throwing someone in jail for being homeless pretty much. Way to go America, way to go haha

4. slappysquirrel

i've only heard that from diff bums n shit man.

5. War John

War John Member

Turn yourself in to a sike (sp?) ward. See a social worker at a sike (sp?) ward. They'll put you in a group home also called adult foster care home. Only problem is you'd have to keep taking a med to stay. Then when you find good decent paying work, move out on your own, and quit taking the meds.

6. slappysquirrel

man fuck that shit. only good thing about that is you MIGHT be able to get SSI checks ;)
    besides this dude has balls, i think he could handle living in a tent for a lil while

7. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

The keys are beautiful and full of amazing nature, spoiled rich bitches, and multi-million-dollar seasonal homes. I expect hippie unfriendly behavior in most places.

8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Maybe "rich hippie" friendly..... Florida is all about the money, if you ain't got it, you can leave.

9. slappysquirrel

yep, i live here, its a police state yes, but a lot of melbourne cops are cool, UNLESS you are bugging them, or uber homeless, then they are dicks.

lots of hot chicks for sure but,, you need the green, and i aint talkin weed.

10. slappysquirrel

i will say though,, that at least where i am florida is easy man. compared to parts of cali where there are so many hippie types, and crazy bums, i was having a blast till i started to couch surf here. it really helps if you can make money somehow though

11. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Hey why not pitch your tent somewhere in georgia rather than travel further south?

I was driving around the cambridge side of the charles river near boston last winter when I noticed 2 or 3 tents occupied by homeless people with about 40 inches of snow on the ground. :eek:

If they can brave the cold and ice it should be a picnic for you that far south.

Hotwater

12. Doobieismyname

Doobieismyname Member

Yeah war john, you can fuck off, but thanks for the input anyways. This is a positive input non sarcastic thread only. If you dont have anything helpful to say then dont say anything at all. Simple as that.

As for everyone else, thank you for the informative responses, i try to take in what i can from people who know a little more about the area, ive never lived there and have only visited so im not quite sure what to really expect, but as far as living in a tent goes or whatever hah i just wanted to do that temporarily until i can meet a few people, make a few friends, get a job and find a room to rent out. I might be homeless soon but im not broke i got enough money to move into a room now i just cant find someone who will take me and my dog and without having a job or anything. I can get a job fast, i have working experience so its not much of an issue.
    Im probably just going to go to the gathering and just and meet some pretty cool people, maybe find some opportunities that i dont know about yet, you never know whats really out there for you until you look so im just gonna see what i can find. As for georgia, eh im running out of options for a place to live/mainly just sleep at night and not freeze my ass off, get hassled by the cops and what not. Cops dont like to see people just walking around aimlessly at night even if they dont have a choice. So i really just need to meet some hippie friendly, dog friendly people and find a room. Im still working on it but craigslist is limited.
    thanks everyone for there input, i appreciate all the helpful information

13. slappysquirrel

that's what i thought when i came back from cali, i had worked at walmarts here for over 5 years and didnt find shit. NOW remember, i had bought a bike when i came back, had it for a week, and my idiot old roomate threw it out. i lived 4 miles from anything worthwhile to look, and had to keep applying to the same couple shit jobs over, and over, and over. so naturally i couldnt find one. then i got a bike when i got kicked out, and lived over the bridge. got to know ppl in melbourne (cooler than oceanside btw) and wha laa i got a place to live for the time being i think. no i dont have a job, and its a hell of a lot easier than cali in a lot of ways. but anyways dont count on having a lot of xperience to get a job. you might get dissapointed

14. Doobieismyname

Doobieismyname Member

Yeah your probably right, i underestimated how hard it would be to get a job in oakwood when i moved out and it took me a while to get one. I finally did but it didnt work out for me to say the least hah but im glad shits working out for you man hopefully ill find something similar hah nothing beats not having to work a bullshit job

15. sonnl

sonnl Guest

This is what im gonna be doing start of next week. Im hitching down from NY gonna try and do the working homeless thing in Ft. Lauderdale for a little while. Im gonna sleep as close as possible to whatever job i can find, hopefully at least 2 jobs until I can afford a small appartment. Best of luck to ya.

16. Chronologic

Chronologic Member

tellin ya right now you won't find a spot to pop a tent without getting harassed by cops or people unless you wanna be in the everglades (don't suggest, alligators and snakes aren't fun).

It is quite the "police state" everyone is mentioning. I personally couldn't imagine being homeless down here, you might think, oh warm weather that's nice, but unless you're used to our weather, you'll be sick of it real quick. hot and humid, with occational cold fronts that are cold as hell with the wind.

really not trying to put you down I just don't wanna see you guys come down here and get fucked over, opportunities are just pretty slim here.

if you got any questions about it down here just message me.

17. slappysquirrel

melbourne is alright for camping out, but its hard to find a nice spot for a tent since most are already taken and you dont wanna live in a camp. you can camp here w/out aligators, too. as for the cold fronts: yeah we get them here and there and they are colder than south florida. cops will bug you if you look really homeless probly,um and the hot and humid part: he forgot to mention the fucking sun will burn your skin of your face on top of it. BUT THAT'S IN THE SUMMERTIME. you dont wanna camp out in the summer dude, it rains a lot, and its hot as fuck. plus you'll be constantly sunburned

18. Doobieismyname

Doobieismyname Member

Yeah haha ive been hearing a lot about the cops not really liking the homeless folk down there and find as many ways to arrest them as possible. Im thinking i need to get a van or something and just sleep in that haha why not, itd be better than nothing and much safer. My friends dad has a pretty decent sized rv, not to big and said he let us use it so as soon as we get her all fixed up and registered and shit we might even just do that for now. Its badass!
    Oh yeah as far as the sunburn goes im not looking forward to getting my pale ass burned but i know its gonna happen hah it is what it is
    Bottom line though im just looking forward to getting out of georgia, i dont know if any of you have ever lived here but its not that great, trust me. I cant wait to get to the beach, any beach really hah

19. slappysquirrel

lol when are you gonna be here? it aint that bad. hey you'd be going to a place where someone would give you the downlow if you know what i mean dude. it's not like me when i first went to san fran. ran away from home w/ some ppl, 1 week later they ditched me to go to l.a. and i was there all alone, young, and never been on the streets b4. i could show you places to set up, get food, get a food stamp card,get to know ppl etc. and,, even if they might not be interested or whatever,, THERE'S HOT CHICKS EVERYWHERE DUDE. fucking everywhere no lie

20. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

wow where's the hippie love.