home school no church?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by honeytree, Jan 26, 2005.

1. honeytree

honeytree Member

is there a way to home school with out involving a church. We live in Mobile Alabama and I have untill 2006 school year to find a way to do this. I work at night so I have the days free to teach. There should be a way to do this with out being involved in a church.

2. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

There is, every state has their own rules about home-schooling. Just check online to find out what they are. I've done home-schooling in the past in NH & AZ and we didn't belong to any church in either state.

3. good2bhome

good2bhome Member

You can homeschool without church affiliation. Just google Alabama, homeschool and see what comes up. I think I remembering a pretty big group out of AL. Try googling unschooling too.

4. Dakota's Mom

Dakota's Mom Senior Member

Here is what I copies from the HomeSchool Legal Defense Page.

Alabama Legal Home Schooling Options: 1 2

Option: 1
    Establish and/or enroll in a church school

Attendance:
    None specified (175 days required for the public schools)

Subjects:
    None

Qualifications:
    None

Notice:
    File a notice of enrollment and attendance with the local superintendent on a provided form (not required annually)

Recordkeeping:
    Maintain a daily attendance register to be kept by the principal teacher of the church school

Testing:
    None

Option: 2
    Use a private tutor

Attendance:
    140 days per calendar year, 3 hours per day between the hours of 8am and 4pm

Subjects:
    Reading, spelling, writing, arithmetic, English, geography, history of the United States, science, health, physical education, and Alabama history

Qualifications:
    Teacher certification

Notice:
    File a statement showing children to be instructed, the subjects taught and the period of instruction with the local superintendent

Recordkeeping:
    Maintain a register of the child's work showing daily attendance and make such reports as the State Board of Education may require

Testing:
    None

Hope this helps. every state has different laws. But HSLD can help you sort through the laws in your state.

Kathi

5. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

They don't qualify what a "Church School" is, do they? I mean, it could be anything, I would imagine. Not just Protestant-Catholic-Hebrew schools, right?

6. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

I tried doing a search for homeschooling in Alabama and found thisabama Homeschooling
    [size=+3]Homeschooling in Alabama and Church Schools[/size]

[size=+3][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][/size]

To Cover Or To Be Covered? That Is The Question!
    © 1999 By Nancy Goodson

Well, it's that time again. Time, for home schoolers in Alabama., to decide whether they want to stay with their present church school covering, or, if they're new to home schooling here, which church school covering to sign up with. "Do I go with A - they offer lots of activities for the kids. I would have to sign a statement of faith, though, that doesn't agree with my beliefs." "Or do I go with B, even though they're on the other side of the state, and I wouldn't be able to participate in their field trips?" "How about C? I can sign their statement of faith, and they do have a lot to offer, but they require grades, testing, and report cards. We chose to home school to get away from all of that!" Of course, there are other coverings that don't require any of that, but what if you just want to home school without paying out any unnecessary money and with no interference at all? There is a way... set up a church school in your home and "cover" yourselves!

Yes, it is absolutely legal. There are only two ways to legally home school in Alabama. One is the certified tutor option. This only works if you hold an Alabama teacher's certificate. If you don't, then the other option is to file a Church School Enrollment Form so that your child will be registered with the Department of Education. You've been told, no doubt, that this means going under a "real" church school, one that is affiliated with a "real" church. Not true. And even if you go under somebody else's covering that's not affiliated with a "real" church, that covering is only doing what anybody can do - stepping out and "covering" themselves and offering that "protection" to others. "Church school" is defined in the Code of Ala., Section 16, Chapter 28 (the authority we use for home schooling in Ala.) as "...such schools as offer instruction in grades K -12...and operated as a ministry of a local church, group of churches, denomination, and/or association of churches...." One of the definitions of "church" in Black's Law Dictionary is "congregation." Congregation is defined as an assembly or gathering. Each family can determine what "church" and "church school" mean to them. There has been no judicial opinion on this, and I don't believe there ever will be. The Legislature won't touch this topic with a ten-foot pole, especially after the recent court cases re: the Ten Commandments in the courtroom, etc.!

The only requirements of church schools in the Code of Alabama (and I highly recommend that you read this, even if you've been home schooling a long time), are filing the Church School Enrollment Form (no big deal) one time (not every year), and keep attendance records (again, no big deal). No testing is required, no grade-keeping, etc. No other form is required to be filed ever again, unless your child changes schools (to another church, public or private school). You make up a name - it doesn't have to say Church School or Christian School. Some families use Elm Street Academy, or Smith Family Learning Center. Whatever suits your fancy.

You might be thinking, "Where is this woman coming from, and how does she know all of this?!" Good question, so I'll tell you. My husband and I have four children, ages 10 to 18. None of them have ever been to school. We set up a church school covering in 1986 (before our oldest was school-age) to help a family that was being harassed for "truancy." They were just home schooling and trying to mind their own business. The charges were eventually dropped, but that got the ball rolling. Several church school coverings were set up around the state. We "covered" families until the summer of 1990, when we decided to stop. We feel that the parents are morally and legally responsible for the education of their children

Certainly, this approach is not for everyone. To some, just the idea of home schooling itself - doing something outside of the "norm" - causes some anxiety. And to set up a church school in your own home? Well, that's really out there on the edge! But if you think this option might suit your family, give it a try. It's so simple - send an Enrollment Form for each child to your local superintendent. You do not have to call or visit anybody to get permission to do this. Then start home schooling, as you wish, and keep some kind of "attendance" record. This could be a diary, journal, or other kind of record book. No one will ever ask to see it. In fact, the law does not provide for that. Again, I highly recommend that every home schooler in this state read the Code of Ala., Sec. 16, Chap. 28. Your courthouse has a law library and somebody there can help you find it. Make a copy of the Code, so you can show it to all of those "nay-sayers." Church schools are exempt from almost everything that applies to public or private schools and tutors. You will be amazed at how many times it says, "...but not church schools."!

Happy Homeschooling! If you would like more information or help, contact me at: organix@juno.com or 256/377-4521..

7. Abyle

Abyle Member

For grades K-8, check out Calvert School. Don't know the website, but my brother and I grew up using them and we're pretty well-rounded about stuff like art and architecture to boot.

8. issablue

issablue Member

I was homeschooled and our group was fairly denominational but as long as you do not buy the rhetoric you will be fine. An example of this rhetoric would be a seminar on proper spanking methods. -- If the wack jobs start getting to you change immediately!

Just make sure your kids are exposed to other children. I was homeschooled 1st - 4th grade (my mom wanted to teach me to read - and I liked it so much I stayed home longer). But my point is that I had friends from kindergarten and was not isolated. I think that is the major barrier in homeschooling - raising a well balance, socialy exposed child.

9. issablue

issablue Member

Also find them a private art teacher!

10. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

and ya also can sign them up for little league, get them piano lessens, have them take a dance class or karate class. See if there is a girl scout or cub scout troop in your area.

This way nobody can say that you're isolating your child.

11. issablue

issablue Member

Those are the same things I did when I was young.

12. RyvreWillow

RyvreWillow Member

Wow, that is really screwed up. In missouri, anyone can teach their kids without enrolling in any kind of "school" In fact, you don't even have to tell anyone you're homeschooling, unless they come knocking on your door (i don't know of anyone this has actually happened to), in which case you'd hand them an "attendance" record, show a sample of the child's work, and that's that.

13. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

AZ was pretty easy to homeschool in also. Seems like it might be one of the easiest states to home-school in back in 1998 when I did it.

14. MamasRosebud

MamasRosebud Member

I am also from Mobile, AL and was homeschooled here. At the time our options were A: my mother could teach us if she were a certified teacher or B: we had to be under a church umbrella. We opted for B since my Mom wasn't a teacher. However, there is no law stating that you have to be involved with a traditional church, ie. christian, mormon, etc. As long as the homeschool curriculum is under a recognized faith, you should be alright. Hope that helps.

15. MamasRosebud

MamasRosebud Member

Try looking up Sacred Grove Academy. They are in Auburn, but cover all of AL. They are a pagan/wiccan church school, but accept people regardless of religion. Find them at www.sacredgroveacademy.org

16. issablue

issablue Member

My mother was certified. But most of the people in my group were not.

17. honeytree

honeytree Member

Thanks so very much I think Sacred Grove Academy sounds wonderful.

18. MamasRosebud

MamasRosebud Member

Glad to help. Actually glad you asked because I needed to know the same things. My kids will probably be enrolled at Sacred Grove too.:)

19. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

20. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel