Holy War?

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by shirley, May 30, 2007.

1. shirley

shirley Member

I thought it was just Muslims who had the holy war concept. Do Sikhs too?

This chappy in one of my classes is definately a sikh and he's recently been coming to college wearing this hoodie which says holy war on the back with the Sikh sign and a load of guns and knives.

Have i got my religions mixed up?

2. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

i'm pretty sure that where there is any people of faith there is some form of holy war.

3. L.A.Matthews

L.A.Matthews Senior Member

A holy war is not defined by one religion. It's a religious war where the main cause is, or seems to be, religion. For example, The Crusades, the Reconquista, and the European Wars of Religion.

I think you're confusing a holy war with jihad, which is a 'war' fought to spread the teachings of Islam.

4. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

Actually jihad doesn't mean war at all. Jihad is a holy struggle. Muslims may engage in a peaceful, personal holy struggle to spread their faith. However the word has risen to international attention where fundamentalists have reinterpreted it to mean violence. There is nothing inherently violent about jihad in itself, but it is used to legitimise acts of terrorism and other such atrocities. As for killing or waging war in the name as faith, I think anywhere you might find religion, you'll find people willing to kill and die for their faith....