Holy Shit

Discussion in 'Opiates' started by jo_k_er_man, Feb 2, 2009.

1. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

i just found a document on how to make Laudanum with pods

2. Feelings Of U4ia

Feelings Of U4ia Senior Member

3. does2

does2 Member

I see you got all that info.... Maybe you could share what you deem to be very important.

4. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

actually its more of a "opiate liquor".. alcohol with an opiate buzz..

it was in a torrent

5. does2

does2 Member

The people demand elaboration.

6. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

7. does2

does2 Member

Thanks.

8. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

9. Feelings Of U4ia

10. does2

does2 Member

11. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

yea.. i just now found the link..myself

12. Eagles06

Eagles06 Member

I was watching that show on the history channel today... "Hooked: illegal drugs and how they got that way" again. It was the opiate one today. But this time i noticed that they mentioned Laudanum, which I will admit I never heard of til today. What exactley is it?

13. Slingblade

Slingblade Member

Copied from Wikipedia.

Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim, also known as Paracelsus, was a 16th century Swiss-German alchemist who discovered that the alkaloids in opium are far more soluble in alcohol compared to water. Having experimented with various opium concoctions, Paracelsus came across a specific tincture of opium that was of considerable use in reducing pain. He called this preparation laudanum, derived from the Latin verb laudare, to praise.[1] Initially, the term "laudanum" referred to any combination of opium and alcohol. Indeed, Paracelsus' laudanum was strikingly different from the standard laudanum of the 17th century and beyond. His preparation contained opium, crushed pearls, musk, amber, and other adulterants. [2] Laudanum remained largely unknown until the 1660s when an English physician named Thomas Sydenham compounded a proprietary opium tincture that he also named laudanum, although it differed substantially from the laudanum of Paracelsus. In 1676 Sydenham published a seminal work, Medical Observations Concerning the History and Cure of Acute Diseases, in which he promoted his brand of opium tincture, and advocated its use for a range of medical conditions. [2]. By the 18th century, the medicinal properties of opium and laudanum were well-known. Several physicians, including John Jones, John Brown, and George Young, the latter of whom published a comprehensive medical text entitled Treatise on Opium extolled the virtues of laudanum and recommended the drug for practically every ailment.[1]

By the 19th century, laudanum was used in many patent medicines to "relieve pain... to produce sleep... to allay irritation... to check excessive secretions... to support the system... [and] as a soporific".[3] The limited pharmacopoeia of the day meant that opium derivatives were among the most efficacious of available treatments, so laudanum was widely prescribed for ailments from colds to meningitis to cardiac diseases, in both adults and children. Laudanum was used during the yellow fever epidemic. Innumerable Victorian women were prescribed the drug for relief of menstrual cramps and vague aches. Nurses also spoon-fed laudanum to infants. The Romantic and Victorian eras were marked by the widespread use of laudanum in Europe and the United States. Initially a working class drug, laudanum was cheaper than a bottle of gin or wine, because it was treated as a medication for legal purposes and not taxed as an alcoholic beverage.

The early 20th century brought increased regulation of all manner of narcotics, including laudanum, as the addictive properties of opium became more widely understood. In the United States, the Harrison Narcotics Tax Act of 1914 restricted the manufacture and distribution of opiates, including laudanum, and coca derivatives. Toward the middle 20th century, the use of opiates was generally limited to the treatment of pain, and opium was no longer a medically-accepted "cure-all." Further, the pharmaceutical industry began synthesizing various opioids, such as propoxyphene, oxymorphone and oxycodone. These synthetic opioids, along with codeine and morphine were preferable to laudanum since a single opioid could be prescribed for different types of pain rather than the "cocktail" of laudanum, which contains all of the opium alkaloids. Consequently, laudanum became mostly obsolete as an analgesic, since its principal ingredient is morphine, which can be prescribed by itself to treat pain. There is no medical evidence that laudanum is superior to treating pain over morphine alone.

In 1970, the U.S. adopted the Uniform Controlled Substances Act, which regulated opium tincture as a Schedule II drug, placing even tighter controls on the drug.

By the late 20th century, laudanum's use was almost exclusively confined to treating severe diarrhea. The current prescribing information for laudanum in the U.S. states that opium tincture's sole indication is as an antidiarrheal.

14. Feelings Of U4ia

That shit sounds like it would have NASTY wd's...

15. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

Wyatt Earp's wife Maggie was addicted to Laudanum

16. kil0

kil0 The Rebel

let me know what you guys find.

I would look for myself, but I got a multivariable calculus test to study for.

But the liquor with an opiate buzz does sound interesting..

17. does2

does2 Member

I remember that, she was always moody as a muthafuggah, too.