Hitchhikers Guide

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi Books' started by Faceman56, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Faceman56

Faceman56 Member

I have been recently reading "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" and it has been an amazing book. I think I'm on chapter 17 but I'm not sure. I guess I should be using a bookmark. Anybody else who have read this book, tell me your thoughts on it.

2. laurenq

laurenq Member

yea i read it several years ago

interesting

i cant remember are there mice in the book right?

3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well its more then one book. i mean there's the first book of the series; the guide. but then there's resteraunt and the end of the universe and so long and thanks for all the fish, then there's other versions of essentially the same story, but every time he wrote for a different medium he wrote a little different. and the first version was a bbc radio play. there have been at least two movies based on the series too. the first was a pbs mini-series. then there was a text based computer game back in dos days.

i had that for a little while but don't remember what i did with it. i may have been borrowing it and had to give it back. i don't remember for sure.

there was for a while a fan forum website too. a couple of different ones. i was some relative of slartybartfarst's on one of them.

oh i think i've heard somewhere someone was talking about, after he died a few years ago, about doing a broadway play. i don't know if that ever happened or what.

=^^=
    .../\...

there may be mice in some part of one of his books somewhere. i don't think its any of the hitchikers ones. there's bable fish and vogons and the bugbladder beast of krawl, a whale, a pot of petunias, cyrus cybernetics, a talking side of beef advertising its various cuts of meat, a rock star spending the year dead for tax purposes, an infinite improbability drive, ...

=^^=
    .../\...

4. EliWhitney

EliWhitney Member

I love the series of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. It is very funny and bizzare.

5. secret_agent_amanda

secret_agent_amanda Member

The white mice are the ones really running everything. From another dimension, or something.

6. i0-techno

i0-techno The Magnificent Dope

Yea I read the abridged version, which had all the books and a story of Zaphod in it as well. I like that it looks like a bible, because it feels like a bible I can understand. Genius writing, I breezed right though it.

7. hitsuzen

hitsuzen Member

I read the entire series a while back. It's so amazing, definitely one of my favorites. I love the writing style.

"One of the things Ford Prefect had always found hardest to understand about humans was their habit of continuously stating and repeating the very very obvious, as in: 'It's a nice day,' or 'You're very tall,' or 'Oh dear you seem to have fallen down a thirty-foot well, are you all right?'"

8. surething

surething Member

its hands down the funniest series of books ive ever read, every year i buy at least one person the complete hitchhikers guide for christmas.

"In the beginning, God created the Universe. This has made a lot of people very angry, and is widely regarded as a bad move."

9. *Andy*

*Andy* Senior Member

Yeah, the books incredible. Douglas Adams has a really funny and interesting style :) The Dirk Gently books are also very good, for anyone else who hasn't read them.

PS. The Hitchhikers movie was awful

10. i0-techno

i0-techno The Magnificent Dope

I loved the movie, that is the reason why I read the books.

11. secret_agent_amanda

secret_agent_amanda Member

The mini-series they had on the BBC was actually quite good.

12. Spaced06

Spaced06 Member

Two numbers: 42

13. Oh So strangE indeeD

Oh So strangE indeeD Member

If anyone's interested in rereading the series.. I just found a link to ebooks of the whole series. I was searching for an overview of The Restaurant at the End of the Universe and found this site that has all of them
    http://flag.blackened.net
    You just have to type into their search engine "Hitchhikers Guide"

14. philipsburggirl

philipsburggirl Member

15. bukfifty

bukfifty Guest

Hitchiker's Guide is one of my favorite series!

16. MSRosetti

MSRosetti Member

One of my all-time favorite quotes is from this book: “The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

17. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Originally, the Hitch-hiker's Guide was a BBC radio series. That was IMO the best format it achieved, although the books are great and the BBC TV series.

It's all there on youtube.

Douglas Adams was pure genius.