Hitchcock

Discussion in 'Classic Movies' started by StayLoose1011, Feb 20, 2007.

1. StayLoose1011

StayLoose1011 Senior Member

Who else adores the Master of Suspense? I took a whole class on Hitchcock, taught by one of the world's foremost Hitchcock experts, Andrew Sarris, and it was great. Got to see 20 or so of his films and learned about plenty more. I'm going to watch Rope tonight which I haven't seen before, I'm quite excited. I hear it's one of his most experimental films, etc.

Does anyone have a favorite film? Mine are Vertigo, Rear Window, Notorious, and Dial M for Murder. Shadow of a Doubt, Rebecca, and Psycho aren't half bad either :) Number one has to be Vertigo... the music, the acting, the imagery, the setting, it's all just too perfect.

2. The_Walrus

The_Walrus Sgt. Pepper

I'm in love with all things Hitchcock.

My favorite movie of his is Vertigo.

Here's my top five (I suppose - this is so tough):
    1) Vertigo
    2) Rear Window
    3) Rebecca
    4) Rope
    5) Psycho

Man, Hitchcock... What a genius.

3. Nirvana56789

Nirvana56789 Member

Hitchcock is great

I love all the movies you named the walrus^

Psycho no doubt is my fav

I love Veritgo, The Birds, Rear Window, North by Northwest and Strangers on a train

4. WillWorkForPeace27

WillWorkForPeace27 Member

Ahh I love him!

I recently recieved a box set of his movies, all earlier ones and they really are incredible! He can make you jump out of your skin without even showing you anything. It's all what he puts into your mind that scares you! Movie directors today should learn a thing or two from him. The movie's made today can't even compare to his quality. Also I would have to agree that Vertigo is my all time favorite! I love the suspense of Rear Window or To Catch a Thief but the neverending mind-bending twists in Vertigo keep my interest like nothing else!

5. Maryslittlebrat

Maryslittlebrat Member

One of a kind man, couldn't pick a fav movie though
    Psycho is the only movie that has truely scared me and I've seen 1000s of horror flics
    the standards have kinda fallen can u guys even watch them?
    i tend to watch French, Swedish films b/c they just are better
    Argento the Italian Hitchock(dir of do you like Hitchcock, Deep Red, Suspiria) as they call him is a fun director too, hasn't the talent but who does? he was one of the best of the best
    not sure if Id rather Hitchcock or say Bergman, Trauffant
    just amaster man
    peace
    Andrew

6. maryjanegirl_2005

maryjanegirl_2005 Controlled Chaos

i loved *The Birds

7. Nicolangelo

Nicolangelo Member

Love the guy...seen quite a few of his films.

I watched a pretty underrated Hitchcock the other day called "Lifeboat" - it was very good.

8. Yellow Hat17

Yellow Hat17 Member

My favorites are

1. Rear Window

2. Marnie

3. Psycho

4. The Birds

5. Vertigo

Those are obviously the best.

9. gunison

gunison Member

I can't think of a director with a more impressive body of work nor one I adore more than Hitchcock. 'Rear Window' is my all-time favorite film, and not just by Hitchcock.

It may just me (and I'd be interested to read others' thoughts on this) but the settings of his movies always appealled to me, minus the murders, of course. L.B. Jeffries had a wonderful apartment in a great neighborhood in Rear Window, Santa Rosa was like a beautiful version of Anytown USA (you can practically smell the apple pie on the windowsills, and who wouldn't want to smoke a fat joint in the town square and watch the pedestrains walk by), San Francisco in 'Vertigo' speaks for itself, and half a dozen others.

Aside from using these quiet settings as a counterpoint to the sinister events that often followed, this just doesn't get mentioned enough.

If anyone's still interested in continuing this thread, what are your thoughts on Alfred Hitchcock Presents? Thanks to a well-timed acid trip (10/31/99, right in the middle of a marathon on TVLand) this show occupies a special place for me. The episode 'Lamb to the Slaughter' will never be topped.

Happy birthday to Hitchcock, August 13 (would have been 108).

10. sanja_serbia

sanja_serbia Senior Member

I keep forgeting to watch Hitchock's movies (something I promised myself long time ago), I remember being incredibly frightened by those goddamn birds when I was little...Besides that I only watched Rare window and it made great impression on me....

11. dready_kolo

dready_kolo Banned

Ah love Hitchcock, love Rear Window and North by Northwest, stuidied his films in Film Studies last year.

12. drugsmugglingcartoon

drugsmugglingcartoon Member

Watched 'Young and Innocent'('37) last night and brought Marnie yesterday. I just love his stuff.

My top 5 - 1 Strangers on a Train
    2 The 39 Steps
    3 North by Northwest
    4 Rear Window
    5 Shadow of a Doubt

...and Grace Kelly - wow!:)

13. VegOut024

VegOut024 Member

Love Hitchcock, beats every single one of the generic rip-off horror movies around today. My favorites would be

1. Rear Window
    2. Rope
    3. Dial M for Murder
    4. Psycho
    5. The Birds

He did do one thing wrong and that was the wrong man. uggghhh

14. drugsmugglingcartoon

drugsmugglingcartoon Member

No way.I loved The Wrong Man. Didn't care for The Paradine Case though, nor Rebecca.:)

15. VegOut024

VegOut024 Member

yea the Paradine case sucked, I like Rebecca though

16. myself

myself just me

So far I've only watched Shadow of a Doubt and Vertigo. I loved them both. I want to watch more of his movies.

17. peacechicka1

peacechicka1 Member

yeah, he's pretty freakin' awesome!

18. ctsmoke

ctsmoke Member

Rear Window, Strangers on a Train, Vertigo, North by Northwest are my favorites.

19. Ms.Oh!

Ms.Oh! Senior Member

I ADORE hitchcock! i have loved his movies since i saw vertigo as a kid. i love how he plays up on all our most instinctual fear without having to show anything at all..

20. MindRiot

MindRiot Member

He's pretty amazing, I think. Rear Window, Wrong Man, Rebecca, Notorious, The Birds, etc. All awesome movies. I don't think he's ever really had a bad movie. Average? Yeah. Bad? Not really.