Historical Fiction about Ireland/the Irish

Discussion in 'Fiction' started by feralfey, Apr 16, 2007.

1. feralfey

feralfey Member

Can anyone reccomend some good ones? I read the trilogy by Anne Moore and loved it, although I thought the first was the best. I love historical fiction, next to fantasy it is my second favorite genre. But in particular I enjoy reading about Ireland and the Irish.

2. Forget me not

Forget me not Member

I don't know any. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

3. Roffa

Roffa Senior Member

I'm reading Dublin by Edward Rutherfurd, which I'd strongly recommend; he wrote a follow-up called Ireland Awakening. You could also try Ulysses by James Joyce, which is set in Dublin around the turn of the 20th century.

4. redyelruc

redyelruc The Yard Man

For a light read try 'A Star called Henry' by Roddy Doyle. A very funny story set during the Irish fight for independence.

Peace.

5. Roffa

Roffa Senior Member

Also, if you're into fantasy and Irish history you'd certainly enjoy reading about the mythical Celtic heroes like Finn McCool and the Tuatha de Danann. There are several re-tellings on the market, including classics by e.g. Lady Speranza Wilde and WB Yeats.