Hippy?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Cat_under_the_stars, Nov 6, 2018.

1. I have noticed that if you are a fan of the grateful dead (and related acts) that most people will automatically label you a "hippy".

I have also noticed that if you are a psychedelics enthusiast that people will often mistake you for a "hippy".

And that if you are a generally happy person who values beauty, peace, and love, that people will mistake this for being "hippy like"

And if you are a deadhead and a psychonuat who values beauty and love an incredibly large number of people will certainly mistake you for some type of "hippy".

*It doesn't seem to matter if you shower every day, only wear new clothing, smell good, like all types of music, are able to understand many different outlooks and don't seem to conform to any standardized culture, niche, or scene, if you like the dead, if you take psychedelics, and if you value love, you are getting labeled as a hippy. *

I have a totally unique "culture", I'm not a hippy, or any type of standardized cookie cutter niche of a scene where one must conform to pre-set values and outlooks.

I take whatever I choose from reality and incorporate it into the whole of my being. I am completely undefined. Its like jerry garcia said, that when you leave something undefined it in essence becomes everything.

I highly relate to that type of seamless, ever changing, constantly evolving and in never ending motion type aspect of a psychedelic experience, this concept is highly embodied in the visual portion of the psychedelic experience, but permeates through and encompasses the experience as a whole, it's a metaphor for consciousness and for life, and in a sense I am an ever changing, always evolving seamless being who is in constant motion and in a constant state of change.

I've been many different different people at many different times, it's almost as if I have lived 100 different lives.

No label or culture could ever be sufficient enough to adequately describe who or what I am.

"God's own prototype: too weird to live, too rare to die" comes somewhat close to describing what I am. ...but hippy? Never.

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

What about 'hippie'?

3. Driftrue

Driftrue still a beach bum... HipForums Supporter

Or a hoppy?

4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear voice of sexy

i don't remember the last time i heard someone called a hippie in real life. hell, even on hipforums it's pretty rare anymore.

5. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

About 2 Years Ago A Very Polite Chinese Lady Remarked On My Bare Feet And Dreadlocks.......

Then Asked Me If I Was A Hippie......I Laughed And Said No......I'm Just Doing My Own Thing...LOL... :D

Cheers Glen.

tumbling.dice likes this.
  6. It's important to be comfortable as who you are. It sounds like you have a good mind to know that. You should seek to become comfortable as the person you want to be... that's my philosophy on the matter. I tried really hard at "being a hippie" when I was young. But that was in the nineties and it wasn't meant to be. No one ever mistook me for a hippie, but rather more likely they understood me to be a teenager. lol

About the Grateful Dead... They are truly an inspiration in my life and in the lives of so many countless others. Music would not be what it is today if there were no grateful dead. Of that you can be sure.

I think that the whole hippie thing is trivial, and you shouldn't worry, though it can be frustrating to appear as something you did not strive to be. :)

7. Meliai

Meliai Evenstar

What about a hip hoppy? Like a really cool bunny rabbit

Also i love the grateful dead always and forever but i aint no dirty hippie

8. I'minmyunderwear

i would think a hip hoppy would be a rap song for kids.

9. Meliai

Meliai Evenstar

A rapping bunny rabbit
    There is definitely going to be a bunny involved

10. I'minmyunderwear

11. Meliai

Meliai Evenstar

Oh.
    Well that's not good.

drumminmama likes this.
  12. I'minmyunderwear

it wasn't good, but for some reason i couldn't stop listening.

13. Driftrue

Dreadlocks didn't feature in my mental image of you. Mental images of people on the internet are like when someone you know is in your dream but they don't look like themselves. You're one of those people who probably look nothing at all like what I imagine, and I couldn't even describe what I imagine.

14. Driftrue

It made me think of Sugarhill Gang. "I said a hip, hop. Hippie.. hip a hop.." something like that

15. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

^^^^....Had My Dreads for 8 Years.....Cut Them August Last Year.....Been Regretting It Ever Since.....:cry:

Cheers Glen.

16. Driftrue

: (

Then why?

17. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Over my waaaay too many years here, I’ve always wondered at the emphatic declarations that other long time members make that they are “not a hippie.”

We gravitated to a hippie forum. It was always so obvious. Still is. Pink and purple background?

For a while, I thought, “well, maybe it’s not a hippie stereotype,” but often we are, even accidentally.
    My own score card, partial:
    Long hair? Check
    Tie dye? Check...lived from the proceeds
    Liberal outlook? Check
    Vegetarian? Check
    Cloth diapers? Check. Also breastfeeding exclusively.
    Activism? Check
    Interest in various religions? Check. I’m a JuBu, mostly. With a dusting of pagan, and ISKCON.
    Spent time back to the land? Check
    Volkswagen? Nope. But lived in a van.
    Band tours? Check
    Jam band tours? Check. Also, folk.
    Member of a cooperative? Check
    Drum circles? Check
    Some form of a weird job? Check. I’ve been a reporter, concert production and massage therapist in my time here.
    Sold art or crafts? Check

Now, the word my ex and I used in seriousness was Freaks. But, like a family pet name you will never shake, Hippy clung to our Andean wool sweaters and Baja jackets.

Know thyself.

18. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter HipForums Supporter

Only an asshole would care what you call people who believe in peace and love.

19. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Or the semantically curious.

20. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter HipForums Supporter

Lawyers invented academia and semantics, so they could copyright and patent everything.