Hippie yard?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Comfortably Numb, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Okay I wasn't sure where else to post this...

I want to make my yard look more "hippie". Sound strange? LOL
    I want to make it look not so "urban".
    I want people to drive by and say "Damn, I bet hippies live there". ;)

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. poor_old_dad

poor_old_dad Senior Member

Interesting question......Plant lots and lots and lots of flowers, but in no pattern.

Get a Peace Sign Flag - http://www.peaceloveandme.com/mall/peacesigns.asp

And park a VW Mini-bus/van/camper in the yard. Here's what the one in my yard looks like.

Peace,
    poor_old_dad

3. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

4. Lady of the Freaks

Lady of the Freaks Senior Member

5. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member

Hippie gardens should have herbs. Some less frequently seen varieties might include things such as [​IMG]

Lemon verbena

Highly aromatic
    or[​IMG] I'm rather fond of peppermint. If possible you might even consider getting a bantam chicken or two. That would certainly raise an eyebrow :)

6. Barbuchon

Barbuchon Member

Look more hippie... haahahaha whatever. have your own tastes, don't have someone telling you what you should have around.

7. woodenfrog

woodenfrog Member

It should come naturally buuuuuuuuuuuut,nothin says hippys more than a tee pee in the yard,or a sweat lodge (i got one)or a sculpture made from painted bowling balls,or huge wind chimes made from cut in half propane tanks(got those too)or a root celler (got one)or tin foil spred out on the roof so thay cant read your mind or a large crop of dandylions or wine bottols pokin out of the ground or a steel sculptur painted tie die of cource or a landing pad for when the alians show up or a fire ring.
    the list is endles,just do wat comes natually.
    light
    woodenfrog

8. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

I have lots of containers for flowers out front. I purposely chose colors which don't "match" drives my anal neighbors nuts. My dh threw away a toilet (actually gave it to the Hispanic man who collects junk for the Yard to make a living) but I wanted to put it out front and plant flowers in the bowl and the back of it. We had an old bath tub filled with wildflowers in our old house.

I also have a red white and BLUE container, REAL blue flowers, which are hard to find. All the Republicans in our area try red white and purple petunias and it looks dumb. They want to know "where did you get the blue flowers?" Jeez, I read a gardening book.

Of course, Pot Plants always make a statement, like "Arrest me!" ;)

9. Maggie Sugar

We also have an American and Peace sign flag, as the dude who lived here before somehow put a huge flagpole in the front yard. He worked construction and got all kinds of weird things. We flew a "NO WAR" sign until it got ripped up in the wind.

10. Maggie Sugar

That's a great page, HHB. :)

11. Acorn

Acorn Member

make it completely random and weird. dont mow, have wild flowers everywhere, strange statues, a goat or two, do what ever sticks out or you really like.
    oh and i forgot, grow a bunch of corn or sunflowers or somthing really big to put right in front.