hippie book for school...

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by Mr_Moonshine, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Mr_Moonshine

Mr_Moonshine Member

Hello everyone,

I am writing to you because i have a problem.
    I will write a skilled work about hippies and the sixties for my english course.

Topics are:

1.Introduction (topic and pivotal questions)

2.Who were the Hippies?
    2.1 –Music: song-texts, psychedelic music, Woodstock, messages in songs
    2.2 –Association with drugs (LSD, Marijuana, Acid)
    2.3 –Art, literature (album covers, poetry)

3.The dream of “Peace and Love”:compatible to the American Dream?
    3.1 –The American Dream (short description)
    3.2 –differences and similarities (sexuality, drugs, work, family, aims, attitudes)

4.My opinion:
    -What do I think about the hippies?
    -Could we learn something from them or is it good that their time is over?
    -Would some ideas by the hippies make the world of today a better place?
    -Have they failed or succeeded?

For that work I need a non-fictional book about such topics.
    I am looking for something about Hippies in general and compared to today and to the typical American Dream (get richt, familie life and so on..). I need an author with a critical opinion about this.

Can anyone help me???:confused:

2. Nirali

Nirali Member

I´m not very helpful. I know some titles but paradoxically not in English language.

3. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Hippies from A-Z by Skip Stone available for free on this very website like OMGDZ!

4. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Senior Member

Good morning,

perhaps you can leave some references, ISBNs or such? There might be some people out there who understand other languages than English ;).

I'm curious if we hear from the OP again. His project sounds ambitious. IMHO one needs context (social, political, etc.) of the past WWII years to understand the 'hippie phenomenon' and other countercultures of the sixties.

Regards
    Gyro

5. hippieatheart

hippieatheart vagina boob

Just find some biographical books from hippies of that era or something.
    Maybe a book about Woodstock?

6. Mr_Moonshine

Mr_Moonshine Member

Hi,

Thank you for your tipps.
    After 3 hours of research in the internet i found the book "The Hippies and American Values" by Timothy Miller and the descriptions fits exactly to what i was looking for.

I ordered it but unfortunatly it takes 3 weeks for transport.

I hope it is the right book for my work.

Does anyone know the book?

cheers

Lauritz

7. Luketrials

Luketrials Member

Look it up on torrent sites what have you - I'm sure you'll find it. I used to love English in school, only because I was good at it :D

8. Nirali

Nirali Member

I know ISBN only from one: it´s The Pope Smoked Dope book by Zdenek Primus made for a gallery exposition with same name. Project was about hippie (60´s) art, including history and analysing of the album covers and psychedelic poster. Now I look the book is also in english, originally in czech language.
    Just feel sorry, I have broken scanner. I couldn´t help better then post those stupid ISBN: 80-86217-88-4

9. Nirali

Nirali Member

And for the comparing of succes of the "hippie" albums and the others is good to look for: "100 best selling albums of the 60s" by Gene Sculatti.

10. Gyro Gearloose

Hi Nirali,

thank you for your effort, I will find the book. There are a few books on my ever-growing books2read list that broach the issues of hippies, 1968 and countercultures. A book that might be of general interest is 'Hippies' written by Bary Miles. Another one is 'What the Dormouse Said: How the Sixties Counterculture Shaped the Personal Computer Industry', but I guess that is a somewhat special topic ;). Another book (in German language) is 'Die Jahre in der Kommune 1' which is about Teufel and Langhans etc. and their hopes, ideas and ideals. There are more books on the list, but I have to filter them from the 350 other list entries ;).

Regards
    Gyro

11. noela

noela Members

12. Gyro Gearloose

Hello,

am I the only one who is curious about how this episode of HF threads ends? I'm esp. interested in topic 4. ;).

Regards
    Gyro