HID vs. LED Grow (1000w DualArc HID vs. Magnum+ vs. Apollo 10 vs. Penetrator 336x)

Discussion in 'Grow Room Pix and Journals' started by reddfata, Jul 11, 2012.

1. reddfata

reddfata Member

Been trying to get this off the ground for a while, but here it is. Started the grow about a week ago, so some catching up to do in the first couple posts.

Grow summary;

4 independent rooms, 4' wide x 8' long x 8' high. Each room is equipt with 1 x 4" 165 cfm intake fan and 1 x 4" 165 cfm outtake fan.

Room 1 is outfitted with a 1000w hypotek digital ballast running a 1000w dual arc bulb. cost of this lighting system was $299.99 for the ballast, $169.99 for the reflector and $159.99 for the bulb. Total cost $629.97

Room 2 is outfitted with a Apollo 10 LED grow light that is drawing 2.65A or 325w. Cost of this setup is $799.99

Room 3 is outfitted with a Magnum Plus LED grow light that is drawing 2.42A or 294w. Cost of this setup is $1099.99

Room 4 is utfitted with a Penetrator 336x pro LED grow light that is drawing 4.15A or 515w. Cost of this setup is $2199.99

Each room will have an even number of female lowryder 2 auto flower in them. The goal is to see what if these LEDs can really stack up to a 1000w HID system and also to see which LED is producing the most GPW for the money!

Ok so I am finally ready to do this first grow off, I popped 30 Lowryder2 autos and planted them on the 28th of June and moved them into 2 of my 4 x 8 x 8 test rooms. 14 are under a 1000w dual arc HID setup and 13 are under the mag+ and regular 357 magnum par amp 2012 in full veg mode. They have been on 24 hours of light since the 28th and will switch over to 18/6 for the rest of the grow starting today. The 27 survivors will be broken down to 6 per room with the extra 3 going one each into the LED rooms. The nutes being used for this grow are Advanced Nutrients...

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

welcome to hip forum..

3. reddfata

reddfata Member

thanks!

ok so the plants have been sitting under the mag+ and regular mag and the 1000w dual arc on 24/7 light cycle since the 3rd of July. I have been watering by hand everyday and fed the ladies on the 6th, 8th and again today on the 9th.

Tomorrow the plants will be divided up evenly and placed into the test rooms. I will mark the plants that were vegged under HID and those under the Magnum LED so we can see if there is a noticeable difference in plant structure or yields.

And now here come the pics to catch everyone up...

4. reddfata

reddfata Member

July 3rd - HID room

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. reddfata

reddfata Member

images seem to be a pain to include in posts on this forum, am I missing something?

6. reddfata

reddfata Member

July 3rd - LED room

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Rocklobster

Rocklobster Senior Member

well your doing better then me only ever posted pictures as attactments lol.

welcome looks like you have gotten off to a good start can`t wait to see the results.

8. reddfata

reddfata Member

OK figured out a better way of displaying the images...still only allowed 4 per post....seems like an odd setting for the forum grow journal section...

July 6th - HID Room

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. reddfata

reddfata Member

July 6th - LED room

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. reddfata

reddfata Member

July 8th - HID Room

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. reddfata

reddfata Member

July 8th - LED Room

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. reddfata

reddfata Member

July 9th - HID Room

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. reddfata

reddfata Member

July 9th - LED Room

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. reddfata

reddfata Member

13 days in from seed... the move to the independent rooms takes place tomorrow.

As you can clearly see, vegging under the magnum+ and par amp original magnum is completely killing the 1000w dual arc HID... everything is the exact same in terms of medium and nutes being fed to these plants, the only difference is the light source!!!

15. reddfata

reddfata Member

13 days from seed HID...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. reddfata

reddfata Member

13 days from seed LED...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. reddfata

reddfata Member

13 days from seed LED (more pics)...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. reddfata

reddfata Member

14 days from seed... ladies were watered today and divided into the seperate rooms. Plants vegged under LED have been marked. It is obvious that the HID plants are suffering from some sort of PH problem. I will be measuring PH and PPM starting tomorrow. The LED vegged plants show no signs of PH problems.

19. reddfata

reddfata Member

14 days from seed under HID

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. reddfata

reddfata Member

uhhh, apparently HIPforums only allows 5MB of photos to be uploaded and I've already hit my max. going to have to pause the journal until I figure out a solution.