Hey Mechanics--problem here.

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by scratcho, Aug 28, 2013.

1. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

I would think places like Autozone would have a pressure tool that one could borrow, perhaps for free.

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I think its a steel tank, if I remember correctly. But I could be wrong.

Maybe we should place bets on the right answer?

Could be all of the above though.

And the 94 I was talking about got passed down to another relative and he did just replace the ball joints, shocks, and some other front end parts, don't know which ones. Maybe tie rod ends.

Also check the brake lines for rust, had to replace those also a while back. Don't want any holes in those guys.

3. deviate

deviate Senior Member

As far as I know, they loan out stuff like pullers and fan clutch wrenches but no gauges or diagnostic equipment. It's worth a try though. I really don't think its a pump. I would check fuel pressure to rule it out but this doesn't sound like a pump issue to me. I could certainly be wrong but I spent 4 years at chrysler-jeep-dodge and I'm an L1 master tech that specializes in driveability diag in an independent shop. So that's my input. Might be worth it to pay someone to diag, then they are married to it if they say it's one thing and it's something else. Intermittents can get tricky.

4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

my own daily driver was doing the same thing last week (a gmc)...i had just changed the tank the week before and thats when the hard starts and random highway power loss started...turned out the pump had picked up some dirt from carelessness and would make pressure but the check valve was sticking...

swapped in a used one and its back to running perfect again

thats probably why i said pump right away...its still fresh in my mind

it was giving ignition system codes but i know it will do that during hard starts from low pressure so i checked fuel pressure and it was high but unsteady and would drop to 0 as soon as the pump turned off

5. EL Tuna

EL Tuna Member

Its OBD I so that rules out a computer that's worth the shit or you can do it for free by jumping pins in the connector and counting the 'flashes' on the CEL. Might be a computer out there, I just spent 20k on one and it wont touch shit that old to even monitor sensors.

Its MOPAR on top of a van. In you're case IMO id check the wiring and vacuum lines and start there. The crank shaft position sensor controls timing and that will cut power and back on like nothing happened.

To check fuel pressure on MOPAR, Just un do the valve cap on the fuel rail and push the little valve, If fuel comes spraying out, You have enough fuel pressure, In a MOPAR.

Find out if the van only has this problem with half a tank or less, Then that will point you to bad fuel pump. The fuel cools the pumps and with a full tank it wont do it.

But out of all of it, Sounds like a short in the wiring. The TPS on MOPAR go to high RPM when they fail and then drop to nothing. Try and clean throttle body and parts wouldn't hurt either. Good luck either way

6. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

The fuel pump has to be producing the correct fuel pressure. If it is weak, it will act that way. Also some carbs have a power valve. That has to be good, or you'll have similar response. The coil has to produce enough electricity to create enough spark. That would also have a similar response on performance. A plugged up catalytic converter would also give you lack of power; but, would do it all the time. Check the fuel pressure first, and the fuel filter next, then the fuel pump.

7. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

If you're looking for diagnostic tools, have your son check a local high school with an auto shop. Give them a call and see if the teacher minds using the van as a lesson. I know my father-in-law would gladly do that for someone, he's been the auto shop teacher for the past 5 or 6 years.

8. deviate

deviate Senior Member

I know what you mean, that happens to me too.

That's not a bad idea. I've had friends that went to JU to get free dental work. Seems like guinea pig type shit though haha.

9. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Checking fuel pressure at the rail is essentially checking the pump and filter. You can do pressure, volume and leak down all right there. If that thing is tbi, it will leak down immediately, and they don't need much pressure to run. Spec should be around 15 psi.

This is not directed at you but this thread got me thinking. Something about working with cars that's unique (and absurdly frustrating) is that everyone thinks they know about cars. I've had customers argue with me, and it's like if you know how to do it then why don't you fix it yourself dumbass? I mean, how many people go to other professionals and argue with them? Or try to barter? How many people tell a dr that they read on wiki or some ehealth site this or that and they think their diagnosis is wrong.. or hey, I can only afford $30k for this heart surgery and I want it done by noon?

It's fucking crazy how everyone's need for their cars and how stupid fuck parts swappers and low rent businesses have marginalized this field. Especially when it comes to advanced driveability diagnostics. After spending $10k on a scan tool, $3k on a scope, countless other thousands on diagnostic equipment, countless hours reading, researching, sweating, bleeding, cursing, not sleeping.. and then tires plus down the street is offering free diagnostics?

The good thing is I've worked my up to the top tier of aftermarket repair and we have a solid reputation and customer base that doesn't mind paying for quality work, but the bullshit like that still pops up now and then.

10. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Okay, there's one I'd put my money on but I won't say who. I don't want to bruise egos.

11. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

don't forget about the people who want an accurate estimate over the phone without even seeing the fucking thing lmao

12. deviate

deviate Senior Member

There's no way to know for sure without doing the tests, it's all a shot in the dark over the net. I'm curious to hear what it is though.

13. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Yup those are fun too. Or the ones that bring in their own parts because their cousin or neighbor looked at it. Or they read something on a forum. I'm always like.. do you want me to look at the thing or just put your parts on with no guarantee?

14. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

those ones i install their parts then move on to whatever the actual problem was lol

also in the winter i make them stand beside me if they want their work done (i do a lot of outside mobile repairs)....-30 is cold?...you bet your ass it is :afro: ..pay up

15. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

I had a very similar problem with my Nissan truck, twice.
    First time it was kinda the fuel pump, but more like the wiring outside the tank had corroded. Hit a bump and lose contact, engine dies for a second.
    Second time it was the crank angle sensor.

16. MeAgain

The thing about modern cars is they are so much fun to work on.
    That's why I have just about given up except for doing the brakes.

Being an old shady tree mechanic raised in the '50s I can understand what deviate is saying.

I really pity the people who have no idea at all how a car operates. My brother just went to a dealer for an inspection. They wanted over a $1,000. $84.00 to replace 3 wiper blades, told him he needed 4 tires, none were down to the indicators and 2 were 6 months old, and front pads and rotors, "just to be safe".
    Since he knows something about cars, rebuilding a '49 Stud from ground up, he went across the street and bought the wiper blades even thought they weren't torn for something like $30.00 and put them on himself.

These are the kind of people that give mechanics a bad name.

A good honest mechanic is like gold.

17. EL Tuna

EL Tuna Member

That's why they are called 'stealerships'. Only time I buy any parts from them is when they match 'the going price' on all. Even with my discount and exemptions its a rip off.

I build one off jeeps and mainly MOPAR. Like mentioned, Ill put you're parts on, But keep the company receipt and you will have to pay labor again.
    I don't have to look for work, It comes to me when everyone else has messed with it, So I can mark the price any way I see fit if its bad or stupid simple.

One fix that I get almost weekly and now go and fix on site, is battery temp sensors left un hooked under the tray. I don't know why, But shops, Stealerships, Shade tree's etc ALL forget to hook it back up and wonder why it wont fire or run correctly and die.

My favorite, If you own a shop or do this for a living, Is when customers ask, Can I make payments?
    Yeah, All up front, No payments or interest. I have collected too many junk vehicles traded to fix the 'one' vehicle its crazy. But a lot of the parts swap so it has saved me part run time to find problems easier/faster.

18. MeAgain

And this is one of the problems, keeping up with all these new sensors and computer junk.

New cars are great as you hardly ever need to work on them, but when you do.......

In the old days we were always setting the timing, gaping plugs, unsticking voltage regulators, replacing exhaust pipes, freeing up automatic chokes etc. You had a whole list you had to go through at least twice a year. But all you needed was a timing light and a simple wrench set.

Then after about 80,000 miles you threw it away because of the rust or bad rings!

The good old days!!!

19. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yup. Shade tree mechanics are just about done. He's coming over soon and we're going to Autozone to hook it up and hopefully------------

20. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

In high school, I overhauled the engine on my first car--'37 Plymouth. Ground the valves and everything else needed. It was real easy in those days and there weren't all these sensors and crap for "convenience" that cars now have.