Hey, anybody care to help identify this guitar?

Discussion in 'Performing Arts' started by JahNesta, Jan 26, 2005.

1. jesikhaviolet

jesikhaviolet Member

why definitely not a prs?

2. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Even if it was a custom PRS, the wood figuring and grain isn't the same and neither are the arches. Paul Reed Smith majorly uses wood with flamed figuring, not quilt or burl. Not only that, but Paul Reed Smith doesn't build guitars with single coils and they make their own humbuckers, and the bridge is a hardtail on that with adjustable saddles. PRS uses stoptail wraparound bridges for their non-tremolo guitars (like Gibson did with mid-50s goldtop les pauls). Not only that, but the only Paul Reed Smiths that have that same finish are the Brazillian Rosewood Santana series and that's definately not a Brazillian Rosewood Santana series. Also, I don't see any fretmarkers on that guitar, and the santanas have bird inlay fretmarkers. That guitar has a five way Fender Strat style selector switch for pickup combinations. PRS uses a 3 way Gibson-style selector switch. PRS doesn't use those kinds of master/tone volume knobs, and the knobs/pickup selector switch is in a different location. Also, the thickness of the guitar doesn't look right to my eye. It looks more like a fancy version of a Fender strat. If you look at a Paul Reed Smith, it looks just like a Les Paul with different tone/volume controls and a different location for them along with the 3 way P/U selector and two cutaways... just like the Gibson Les Paul double cutaway...

That's why.

3. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

This is a Paul Reed Smith.

[​IMG][​IMG]

This is my '60 Les Paul reissue.

[​IMG]

This is a Gibson LP Double Cut.

[​IMG]

And I don't want to take up too much more room, there's Stevie Ray Vaughan's strat in my sig pics if you see what I mean about it looking more like a strat than a Gibson/PRS and a PRS looking more like a double cut Les Paul.

Compare to the original...