hermal remedies?

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by mariecstasy, Jun 1, 2004.

1. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

are there herbal remedies that you have taken to help you have mood stabilization when you are menstruating?

2. lunar forest

lunar forest Member

I know there are a lot, but for me the Rescue Remedy works well. It's a Bach flower rem. It's great for just about everything.

hth!

3. YogaOfLove

YogaOfLove Member

pennyroyal tea helps with period stuff, i think it helps cramps a little buti dont get very bad ones, and i have only had it a few times and it seemed mood soothing

4. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

What works for me is sage tea... I love that stuff! It's so addictive, and I drink it whenever I feel uneasy or bloated about anything....

5. rainbow dew

rainbow dew Member

oh oh oh!!! i work in a herbalist so.........(bigs up self!) vitex agnes castus works really well, it balances hormone levels and prevents pain-like tender breasts and period cramp up to your period. you shouldn't take it when on the pill however. ive been on it since i stopped taking the evil pill, to get my body back to some sort of normality...highly recommend the tincture. try napiers for it-we do do a mail order overseas too i think.....must check that out.

namaste and good luck
    x x x

6. mosaicthreads

mosaicthreads Member

I have used evening primrose oil with great success. The Homeopathic tincture of pulsitilla is also effective for cramps in many cases. Herbal Medicinals makes a nice PMS tea that helps some with cramps also.

7. Scholar_Warrior

Scholar_Warrior Be Love Now

she is correct! rescue remedy is excellent for many people. tho' if you are the type to take over the counter drugs, or prescription drugs, then bach flower remedies may be too subtle as your energy is too whacked. drugs are bad news - especially the legal ones!

some get good results with chamomile, esp. since it also settles the stomach. valerian is sometimes the herb, and kava kava is another good one. both valerian and kava relax the muscles which helps with cramps.

these are a few things to try and find what works best for you.

there are chi gung excercises to prevent pms, tho' I don't know any of them.

good luck.

8. xscoutx

xscoutx Member

whatthefuckisthat

crazy picture?! yowzas!

9. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

some good recc's on this thread. vitex and evening primrose are excellent to help treat symptoms.

i put the following onto another thread about cramps, but all of these points help with moodiness as well (this list is more about getting to the root of the problem than just treating the symptom):

• quit eating junk food. ***no processed foods whatsoever.*** if it doesnt look like it did when it was growing, DONT eat it.
    • eat lots of omega 3 fatty acids (they're in fish oils)
    • avoid supermarket oils (canola, soy, corn, etc) like the plague...they're rancid and they're NOT good for you. extra virgin first cold pressing olive oil is okay. just dont heat it--you'll damage it.
    • also avoid all flour. grains contain phytic acid, and unless you soak or sprout your grains, they're poisonous to your body.
    • watch out for xenoestrogens and phytoestrogens. (soybeans are a common phytoestrogen and they can cause problems for some people. eat other beans for protein and see if it makes a difference for you.)
    • eat *lots* of crunchy vegetables.
    • drink clean water
    • if you eat meat, make sure it's range meat and make sure it doesnt have any hormones or antibiotics at all. same with eggs, milk, poultry, and fish.
    • only eat organic food. conventional foods are laden with toxins. when your body is full of poisons, you end up with problems (like cramps!)
    • quit drinking any caffeine for the two weeks before your period. green tea is better than coffee if you absolutely must indulge
    • in the two weeks before your period, take evening primrose oil, and make sure you're getting calcium and *magnesium* (very important!). raw sunflower seeds are a good natural source of calcium and magnesium. so are sardines with the bones in.
    oh and general disclaimer...before embarking on any major changes like those outlined above, be sure to consult your health care provider. LOL

10. LullabySam

LullabySam Member

hi where can you get these remedies from??

11. Midget

Midget Senior Member

I'd say you could probably get them from a health store, or a herbalist, or a natuaropath...:)

12. Bro_Rific

Bro_Rific Banned

Crack has always worked well for my hos!

13. LullabySam

LullabySam Member

Thank you Midget!!