Heritage of Immigrants

Discussion in 'U.S.A.' started by WOLF ANGEL, Nov 2, 2019.

1. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

As an Englishman, my Mother's side is Welsh, my Father's side traced back to Scotland(to Scandinavia, to Germany to Holland) I consider myself of Celtic/European origin and traits
    As a land across the pond, that is known for the acceptance of immigrants - be it US, Canadian or the like, do you identify with other countries through your ancestral roots, or consider yourself as Citizen of your Nation only?.

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I've been hearing about my Scottish heritage since I was a kid so I do feel I identify with it. We've traced it back pretty far and know about our clan. My sister went to Scotland a couple of years ago and visited our ancestral farm. It isnt owned by family anymore but the current owners were kind enough to spend an afternoon with her and show her around the house, the same one my great great grandfather lived in before he came to the US. And they're still in touch and send pictures of the house/land every once in a while. I hope to go visit one day

Asmodean and WOLF ANGEL like this.
  3. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Americans, are usually referring to themselves as being for example in my mom's case, German. This even though the woman is half Scott or Irish or something. Still German. The reason for that I think is that her mother's side (her father died early in her life) was German, and catholic, and had lots of discipline in their childrearing strategy! This, I think, is something that other Germans may be familiar with.

But anyway...

For the most part people will reference their origins when discussing who they are as opposed to simply referring to themselves as Americans.

WOLF ANGEL likes this.
  4. WOLF ANGEL

The Scots are a proud race - I'm sure it would be Spiritual satisfying visit - but ''you'll never know, of you don't go"

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    Meliai likes this.
  5. WOLF ANGEL

I don't know many Americans, so that's an interesting take on their heritage thanks

soulcompromise likes this.
  6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Deutsche inside
    Deutsche for life!
    I don't think any other blood runs through the family for at least 700 years. The purity is astonishing.

Ein ganzes Volk!

It must be a travesty to not know who you are, or be emotionally blackmailed to feel guilty about where you come. How are you ever meant to know and understand yourself if you don't know where you've come from? Heritage is a dying breed, but those of us with enough courage to turn our back on the toxicicity of social dogmas will prosper.

Ein ganzes Volk!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    WOLF ANGEL likes this.
  7. WOLF ANGEL

Sehr gut gesagt (I think that's right) Irminsul

8. I'm English, Welsh, Irish, Scottish, Norwegian, German, and Jewish from what my Ancestry DNA test tells me.
    I consider myself American before anything else though. c:

scratcho and WOLF ANGEL like this.
  9. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I'm of Italian descent. My mother's family from the Lake Como region in Lombardy and father's from the town of Castiglione Del Genovesi, near Salerno.
    Now if you go by the etymology of my father's last name and the region his family is from we can make a stretch and say I'm related to King Italus who himself came from Greece to Italy back before recorded history.
    Italy or Italia, is named after him. Italia comes from Víteliú, meaning "land of young cattle" and my last name means young bull or calf and is a direct and very old variant of those terms.
    I still have cousins in that area and streets carrying my last name.

But I consider myself a United States citizens first.

WOLF ANGEL likes this.
  10. I'm from Butt Land and my parents were from Butt Land. But everyone on my grandmother's side is from Narnia. So I'm Narnian Buttlandish.

scratcho likes this.
  11. WOLF ANGEL

An acceptance of Ancestry allows; methinks, a respectful acknowledgement of heritage - though there is nothing wrong with holding true to what one feels is ones current/present/now status of being

CloudyMushroom likes this.
  12. WOLF ANGEL

So I'm guess that you mean you consider yourself a United States citizen from Iowa first.

13. I don't ever think about any of that.

14. Visexual

Visexual Member

One side of my family immigrated from England and Ireland to the western hemisphere in the 18th century. The other side immigrated from NE Asia in the 10th to 25th century BC. I've never considered myself American. I wasn't born in America. America was born on my ancestor's land. And, besides, all of North and South America should be known as America, not just the US. The 'New World' should be called by whatever the first human visitor's language would have been.

WOLF ANGEL likes this.
  15. WOLF ANGEL

So, is that a Nomad without of ancestral interest? a US citizen? or an individual with just a residency within the US?

16. WOLF ANGEL

That is cosmopolitan background
    I take your point (I put in as 'US/ North America' as a General though localised reference because the 'US' is renowned for - in it's early days of a land that both welcomed and encouraged immigrants)
    So when you say 'first human visitors', do you mean Native American ('Red Indian' to be somewhat politically (and geographically) incorrect) / Inuit?
    Or in the case of Columbus Italian; as he was, Spanish; who authorised the expedition - or go back even centuries earlier and look at the Norse language of Leif Erikson
    ***** I guess that may be a debate for a whole other thread???

Visexual likes this.
  17. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Most people know themselves fine just by assuming where they come from. And most do assume. People who know their whole family branch are in the minority. It doesn't seem to matter in general wether a few ancestors are unknown or from a different area/group.
    In what way? Honestly. I often see this proclaimed but not see it in reality. Can you explain how and where you see this happening exactly? Or @WOLF ANGEL perhaps, if he was agreeing with this part. Thanks in advance :)

I consider myself just as much a world citizen as I consider myself Frisian and Netherlandish (i identify as both and honestly cannot pick one label with conviction as 'this i identify as most'). This doesn't mean I value my heritage less, I just see and experience myself firstly as a world citizen. I do identify more as a north western european than a general european.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    CloudyMushroom likes this.
  18. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Safe to assume non european, Wolf. As the first visitors/residents seem to have come from Polynesia or Asia. But its uncertain wether the inuit or native american red indians had the same ancestors or if they were not who of them were first. Nevertheless they were there before any viking or spanish ship.

WOLF ANGEL likes this.
  19. WOLF ANGEL

It's my take that there seems to be less of a desire these days to embrace days of lore and experience in favour of the moment of which social dogma tends to dictate - although would wish to speak for the opine of others

Irminsul likes this.
  20. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i find it all completely irrelevant and i never really think about it. i'm a guy from the US, so i guess i would agree that i'm a US citizen by definition, but i don't really identify as that or anything.

i seem to be in the minority, around here at least. since i'm in one of those towns where you're an evil outsider unless you're italian and your grandparents were born in this town.

Tags: