Herb and Lung Diseases

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by KBlaze, May 18, 2004.

1. KBlaze

KBlaze Member

I've been tokin' up on a basis of at least once a day for about a year, with some days off here and there, but I'm startin' to think about cancer and emphesema and that shit. I've only heard of people getting ill like that from ciggerettes and tobacco. Has anybody heard of somebody getting cancer or whatnot from smoking just weed? (I only smoke tobacco out of a hookah on rare occasions) Cuz you think if people did, they'd use that as anti-pot propaganda. I dunno, just thought about it and wondered if anybody else did too.

2. bertrose

bertrose Member

I've never heard anyone getting cancer from just pot...That doesn't mean it couldn't be possible...

You don't smoke as much marijuana than u do cigs, because u just smoke to get high then stop, u don't chain smoke...

Also, There is little amounts of Lead 210 in Marijuana, while in Tobacco there is a lot...which somepeople think thats what give u cancer...but thats all i know...

peace

3. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

I haven't heard of that happening, but it could happen. I mean, you're inhaling smoke into your lungs.

4. sunshinedaisy11

sunshinedaisy11 Member

I've never heard of anyone getting cancer from just smoking marijuana.

5. ericf

ericf Member

There is also a higher amount of radiation in tabacco than weed. And that is believed to cause some of the problems... and it closes the throat instead of opening it like weed does.

But the main fact is, smoking anything isn't great for your lungs. Weed does have tar in it (not as much as they want you to think but it is there), hot smoke does burn the little hairs that help remove phlem and tar, etc. As far as I have been able to understand... as a daily toker you have an increased risk for brochitis and pnemonia... as well as other minor respitory infections. Reasonably you could stand an increased risk for emphasema (more than cancer but still really low) and cancer. Both of these would be a really minor increase.

If you feel well then I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you start coughing a lot and have a lot of infections -- quit and if it continues see a doctor. Your biggest risk (IMO) is chronic bronchitis... which is just a constant cough which eventually changes the shape of the bronchi and increase your chance for a real bad case of pnemonia.

:) I am not a doctor though and if you are seriously concerned then I recommend you find one. There are doctors out there who will not freak if you tell them what you smoke... and you should inform your doctor that you do. They need all the correct information they can get to help determine if anything is wrong.

6. bertrose

bertrose Member

Lead 210 is that radiation ur refering to, i think...it has a half life if i remember and all radioactive chemicals have half-lives...

If ur REALLY concerned about lungs, get a vaporator or eat it...u don't HAVE to smoke it to get u high

peace

7. maryjaneguitargurl

maryjaneguitargurl I am just like you.

It’s It’s hard to know for sure whether regular marijuana use causes cancer. But it is known that marijuana contains some of the same, and sometimes even more, of the cancer-causing chemicals found in tobacco smoke. Studies show that someone who smokes five joints per day may be taking in as many cancer-causing chemicals as someone who smokes a full pack of cigarettes every day. So your chances of getting cancer is slim.

8. KBlaze

KBlaze Member

yeah i feel fine and all; what started me thinking that was one day i took some grav bong tokes and for the rest of the day it felt like i had an itch in my chest. i used to get bronchitis sometimes when i was younger, and since i started smoking i havent gotten it since. i dont feel any physical concerns from smoking, or at all, but i wouldnt want any to start. yeah vaporizers kick ass, every bud smoker should invest in one, i always vape it up unless im not at home.

9. Cosmo4

Cosmo4 Member

I've noticed that I can't do anything really strenous (like running for a long period of time) without struggling for air more than usual..well maybe that's because I'm comparing it to when I was in gym last year?

10. bertrose

bertrose Member

LoL, yeah same here, but that happened to me before i started smoking...so that doesn't really concern me.