henna for hair!

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by nimh, May 16, 2006.

1. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

as i sit here with my head wrapped in saran to help keep my henna nice and moist, i feel inspired to start a henna thread.

:D

i love my henna, it hides the greys, gives my hair strength, makes it glossy, takes away little frizzies and they colour! omg, the colour, it's to die for. :D i'm always getting positive comments on my hair colour.

ps, honk if you love henna!

2. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

Ooh you should post pics! I've wanted to try henna but don't want any change in my haircolor; does anyone know anything about clear henna?

3. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

i feel like a complete ditz....what is henna again?

................why can i not remember..........???

4. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

5. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

When I used it, it didn't really change my hair color much either (I naturally have really dark dark brown hair), but it was a super-great conditioning treatment!

6. celtgrrl

celtgrrl batty woman

i used to henna my hair years ago, but didn't think it would cover greys. you say it does? i have a LOT of grey...

7. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

my greys come thru as highlights. it's pretty

8. Kastenfrosch

Kastenfrosch Blaubeerkuchen!! Lifetime Supporter

I love the different different hennas for my dreads. I need a lot of dye, because they are so long. So it would not only be not good for my health, but also awefully expensive if I had to buy that much chemical stuff. And Henna is so cheap :)

9. gertie

gertie Senior Member

i have some henna left over from playing with henna designs on skin, but i wasn't sure about using it on my hair as to changing the color it is naturally. i have naturally reddish hair. how much would it alter the color?

10. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

you could always strand test. just keep the hairs that you naturally shed until you have enough and test on them

gl!

11. Shambhala Peace

Shambhala Peace Senior Member

Just curious, where do you all purchase your Henna from? My friend gets hers from a local Pakistani mart. How about you guys?

12. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

i get mine from the healthfood store. i had been getting a cheaper kind of henna from the aisian aisle of the grocery store, but it made my hair really brassy.

i've recently discovered that i can stretch my henna by mixing it with a gelatin solution. i think i used about 3 tbsp or so of plain gelatin to 1 cup of water (it has to sit for a while to gel). normally i mix my henna powder with a splash of applecider vinegar and some warm water. so i did that then touched up my roots with about half of the henna. then after my roots were all covered, i mixed my gelatin solution with the remainder of the henna. it covered the length of my hair reallly nicely and gave a nice henna treatment too. a little drippy but i'm always all wrapped up in saran wrap and a towel anyways.

13. knitin.chick

knitin.chick Members

thanks so much for the great link mamaboogie!

14. wildflowereyes

wildflowereyes Senior Member

I'm looking into it for my dreads. But I've never bought henna before. Will my hair turn whatever color the henna is as I buy it? or is it slightly different? I want red hair.

15. TheLizardQueen

TheLizardQueen horny for knowledge

It does do a lot of wonder for hair, thats for sure. I had a lot of trouble getting it out of my hair, cuz my hair is so thick, but i loved the subtle change in colour.

16. suwanneeredhead

suwanneeredhead Member

Yes it sure does... I've been using it for years and I love it! I add indigo from Tap Dancing Lizard (Henna For Hair website, that's hers, Catherine Cartwright Jones, the guru of henna for skin and hair!), and the indigo makes it a darker red in case you don't enjoy the Lucy red. I leave it in for 2 hours and "terp" it before I put it in, meaning adding essential oils with terpenes in them (cardamom, pink grapefruit, lavender, tea tree, eucalyptus) and those really get the dye to release into your hair shaft. It's a great conditioner -- the only thing is, it can really straighten out wavy hair, and that's good for some.

I also make a paste out of amalaki fruit powder (I'm an herbalist) and that makes a wonderful hair conditioner and skin scrub for pitta-type skin (red, flushed, acne-prone). Pitta is a metabolic body type as described in ayurvedic medicine; if your body tends to be pitta-type, then gray hair is very common.

I'm going to try to add a photograph and if you can see it, that's me with my henna hair.

17. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

wow, that's really informative.

i just picked up a kilo of the finest henna around at the punjabi market in van. now i have to track down some indigo to go along with it. i've been paying 10bucks/100 grams of the indigo/henna mix that i like. the kilo of henna was only 10 bucks!

anyways, interesting about 'terp'ing. i've added eo's in the past, but just because they smell good, i didnt realize that they actually help enhance the colour

oh, and the lady who sold me my key of henna (hahha!) said that adding coffee grounds to the mix would give a deeper colour too. not sure how well that works, i'm goign to try it out next time i dye. :)

18. celtgrrl

celtgrrl batty woman

i hennaed my hair with 'henna cover the grey' last night. it was a 2 step messy process but the color is beautiful, a golden brown. plus it is very soft and shiny. the greys came out blonde!

19. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

pple keep touching my hair. it's tres bizaare, i have lovely hair (it's true, i do), but hands off people, PUH-LEEEZE!!!

20. Yakima

Yakima Member

I dyed my hair with henna, my hair was slightly red before but it had grown out a little bit. The hair got dark orange and the part that had grown out got yellow :p But as henna do, the colour darkened after a couple of days :)