Henna and dreads

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by urbanhedgemonkey, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Hi folks. Does anyone have any experience and/or knowledge of colouring dreadlocks using henna? I've long been a fan of it as a natural colourant and have used it extensively on undreaded hair. However... in my experience it can be messy to use, can sometimes (depending on the brand) smell a bit iffy, and has to sit on your head like a large squidgy cow pat for several hours at a time to get a decent depth of colour. Does anyone know if it is easy to rinse out of dreads (it can be a lengthy process with undreaded hair), does it colour well, and does the smell linger?

Advice and suggestions would be much appreciated. Thx :)

2. pypes

pypes Hot alien babes

If i was myself, I wouldnt use it, I can just see a week of leaving dirty brown marks on everything I sat/slept on. And then there is the issue of mashing biomass into my dreads while I'm not entirely convinced that I can get it back out again.

I know a lot of people subscribe to the "natural is better" philosophy, but for some things you just cant beat something out of a vat from ICI, hair colour is one of them things IMHO.

3. My main concern is being able to rinse it out thoroughly. I have a horrible vision of splitting open a dread a year after using it and it still sitting there. I'd wonder whether it was henna, mould or an icky combination of both :ack2:.

On the other hand, I don't like the idea of PPD's, peroxide, ammonia, recorcinol etc sitting in my locks either. Or the prospect of being stuck with a rather uninteresting shade of mouse...

Decisions, decisions... :confused:

4. amybird

amybird Senior Member

I've never used henna before. For dying my dreads I switched from my usual metal-salt type dye brand, Fudge, to Special Effects...which is said to be vegetable-based...though I'm not sure to what extent. Meant to be a lot less harmful to your dreads, and the colours last well. Maybe an acceptable compromise?

5. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

I used henna right before I did my dreads and don't think I'd feel comfortable doing it w/ them. It's just so messy and took me agessss to get out of my hair properly. I imagine it would be practically impossible to get fully out of dreads. It's so grainy! I kinda have roots now, and was considering doing them but I think in the long one I'd regret it as having natural dreads is the way to go :)