"Helter Skelter" tonight.

Discussion in 'TV' started by Ginge, May 16, 2004.

1. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

Is anyone going to watch that new Charles Manson made-for-TV movie "Helter Skelter" tonight on CBS?

I've never seen any movies on Charles Manson, but haven't there been a few already? Or no? All I know is that guy from "Saving Private Ryan" is playing as Manson this time around. I think his name is Jeremy Davies; he played the timid American soldier who did all the translating. It'll be interesting to see how he pulls it off.

2. ForestNymphe

ForestNymphe Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

We will be watching this tonight. Having read the book and seen the original movie, I am curious.

3. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I haven't read the book...I saw like 10 minutes of the original. I watched a thing about Sharon Tate a few weeks ago, so I've been kind of interested in it and thought it was a cool coincidence that this is coming out just now. How convinient. Someone is reading my mind. Because I'm so good. :)

4. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

I've never read the book or saw the original movie. After this, maybe I'll be inspired to do so. I wouldn't have even known about this new version if I didn't do a search on Jeremy Davies. I think he's a decent actor, so I'm just curious to see how he'll do.

And plus, it's not like there's anything better to watch on television. lol

5. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

I saw this thing about the Helter-Skelter thing. The head prez at TV Guide magazine actually sent a letter to Charlie, and he sent back three letters back full of all sorts of craziness. Apparrently, he didn't like the series. Hmmm...

6. HappyHaHaGirl

Awww...was he that cute one that had the typewriter and was scared all the time? I thought he was so sweet. And now he's a crazed hippie serial killer. Doesn't that figure???

7. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

Yeap, HaHa, that's the one! :D

And Manson didn't like the series? Meh. I don't think anybody cares what he thinks. Well, maybe the President of TV Guide Magazine did, and that's why he wrote him. lol

8. dreama

dreama Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I read the book and saw the original movie...both very interesting. I will likely watch tonight to see how this portrayal compares. I can imagine it won't be a movie for the faint of heart, as there were some pretty gruesome crimes, if they show much dramatization of them.

9. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

yep... i plan on tuning in an hour and 10 minutes.

im curious as to what the whole thing is about, looks interestin.

10. Althea

Althea Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I plan on watchin' it. I've seen the original and read the book so I'm also curious as to how this is going to be. I like Jeremy Davies so that's a plus right there.

11. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

It just started here. I've only seen the first five minutes and I'm already freaked. :eek:

And who is this singing "Helter Skelter" in the opening credits? Because it is not The Beatles. :p

12. HappyHaHaGirl

I missed it because my family wouldn't shut the hell up and then they made me go to a museum...which would have been cool...but I already had plans!!!

13. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

Well it definitely proved that Jeremy Davies has range, I can tell you that.

14. TerminalMadness

TerminalMadness Member

So, so disappointed, so disappointed.

This was terrible! It went on and on and on about nothing. The only exception was Bruce Davies' incredible performance as Manson. I like the original film so much better. It's creepier, grim, dark, and the court scenes were so much more interesting. It's too bad. What a waste of time for me.

15. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

charlie actually had some cool ideas... too bad he was a nut.

death is an illusion
    no sense makes sense
    come to now

16. cherokeehippie

cherokeehippie Member

Yuck, Yuck, Yuck!! Charles Manson was not a true hippie--he was just a evil racist, violent redneck who enticed hippies to do bad stuff! Even in the movie, tonight, I noticed him saying he was no hippie!

17. lovelyweapon

lovelyweapon Member

Manson never claimed to be a hippie; he didn't even want to be associated with them. He thought them weak and pacifistic. I didn't see the movie but I have read the book - so I don't know how much they included in the movie...lots of interesting stuff in the book though...

18. CelticMuse

CelticMuse Member

I've read the book and seen both movies,not to mention actually remembering when this all happened. In my opinion this movie dealt more with how Linda Kasabian came to the ranch, and how life on the ranch was. The original, which in my opinion was a better version was more on the actual crimes and the court proceedings. I saw that Vincent Bugliosi ,who wrote the book, and was the DA,was one of the producers of this newest movie.

And if anyone remembers Judge William Keene was the preliminary hearing judge. Years later he was the original Divorce court judge.

19. Acorn

Acorn Member

even though i only saw about half, that was so freaky!

20. freedbypeace

freedbypeace A Woman Left Lonely

I saw it. I had seen many history channel specials on manson and all I can say is thoose girls scared the shit out of me! Not the movie ones, but the old videos of the trials and just them in general with their long dark hair and creepy eyes. I know I am too old to still be scared of murderers, but damn, after I saw the history special, I turned on all the lights in my house, held a flashlight in one hand, and a butcher knife in the other!