Help with me onions please

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Or's well, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Or's well

Or's well Member

Hi all,

Has anyone grown onions before? I thought mine were doing ok, the tops of a few are just starting to die and I loosened the soil a bit as you're supposed to at this stage (?).
    A sneek look at one though and I see a problem, firstly that is more like a spring onion (a large one, but still small by onion standards!), and secondly, there's only one per stalk.

It's my first time growing onions so is this normal? will they have a sudden growth spurt in the next month???

Or should I go back to supporting my local farmers market!

Cheers,
    Martin

2. Smartie.uk

Smartie.uk Member

as long as eventually they taste like onion.. i dont see the problem.. whether there is one a stalk or five... big or small.. its the taste that makes it an onion.. just call it an OR-nion and you'll be happy as larry.

3. Xiola

Xiola One Lonely Seagull

Hmm, my Daddy grows onions...but I know nothing about it and so will be making no further comment.

4. DuskBreeze

DuskBreeze bye bye !

I'm hoping to have a garden one day :(

5. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Starfly is right....still a bit early yet dude, give 'em another four or five weeks :)

don't worry about size/shape...to get onions near the size and wotnot of supermarket fair yer need to have good soil (which for greedy buggers like onions, means rich soil...a good spadefull of horseshit per foot of land dug into it the year before)...

home-grown onions often look like poor fair...but as someone said above...it's all in the taste :D

6. Or's well

Or's well Member

Thanks all,

I'll hang on and look forward to getting to taste them in September :eek:)

I agree with the taste, I've grown other veggies successfully before and you can't beat the taste. Mmm.

Dusk Breeze, I don't have my own garden anymore. I used to have an allotment but have recently moved so I'm fighting for space at my parents - mum would rather have pretty flowers and shrubs than anything edible! Still, I'm slowly winning, befor they no it my dad won't have any grass left to mow ;o)