Help with first dread attempt

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by SryBoutTehBlood, Feb 17, 2009.

1. White Snow

White Snow Member

it requires alot of patience at first, but you'll end up with one of the sickest hairstyles going around. So goodluck with your journey

2. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

do you have a friend to help you round the back? I didn't backcomb mine so don't know how to do it realli or how it feels. I think everyone looks great w/ dreads but I think you'd look realli great! You have that soft boy face that I think suits dreads so well. All the ladies will be loving you!

3. Smelly D

Smelly D The Dreaded Plumber

everyone looks hot with dreads, its like a fact of life

does your hair need a major wash? if it does, then wash it - itd be better to wash all of it, wash all the crap, clean yer scalp etc, in prep for a mass backcombing sessions tomorrow (or whenever)

when your head is backcombed (my friend has just coined the term 'fuzzlocks' for mine), try and avoid getting them wet for a week or so - ive got a super huge shower cap that i whack over them when im showering, its great. i wont wash mine for at least a week, and even then ill be super careful cause thems fragile! oh and, when you do wash them for the first time, the key is to wash your scalp - not necessarily each individual dread. a healthy scalp gives healthy dreads, and the more you mess with them at this stage, the more chance they have of coming apart. another thing, they will come apart when you wash, no matter how careful you are. but its all good, cause they tighten as they dry =D

hurting of the scalp.. depends how much your friends pull when they do it i guess. nina (my mate who did mine) has now figured out how much to pull without hurting me, and she knows ill tell her if it does anyway. take a couple of painkillers beforehand if you want. i think it hurt more around the ears/front of my scalp area